Traverse City “Tournament”

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Danielson is very good skater, smart, good at avoiding hits, but if he misses hit he is down.

I agree Larkin had more grit. If you mean Larkin was physically more mature then I won't argue that point either. I don't think Larkin was mentally more mature. I think Larkin is faster and better first step, Danielson seems to have better edges. It's hard to remember because Larkin was a rookie so long ago. I see a lot of similarities.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I mean if we want to have a team where we no longer have reliance on needing to trade for guys or sign them in FA, we need to have prospects who shine and look like they will have a solid place on the big roster.

When your team only has 3 good drafted players, horrid drafting is the only thing to blame.

Horrid drafting at 2015-2018.

It has nothing to do with current prospects.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yes those are the 3 players.

Thats a very fair take that I agree with. You just can’t blame me for being incredibly nervous when we were having the same conversations about our next generation of “core” players in Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno, Cholowski, Berggren, Lindstrom and Svechnikov.

yeah, I feel you on it. I'm a bears fan and have sat through them picking Trubisky, Fields, and now people freaking out over Williams. There's nothing saying the next group of kids for the Wings have to succeed. But the kids Detroit has brought up have been good, and there hasn't been anything about these kids that have screamed bust.

I'm to the point where I'm just enjoying the ride until we see these kids in the NHL.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Interesting quote from Cleary via Max at the Athletic when asked about Danielson feeling more pressure this training camp:

“I don’t know,” Red Wings assistant director of player development Dan Cleary said before Sunday’s game. “I don’t think so, knowing Nate, knowing how he’s built. He’s certainly in great shape, he’s skating real well, he looked great yesterday, he’s looked great in development camp.”

And then Cleary paused for a second.

“I have inner thoughts that I don’t want to say out loud. But not a lot would surprise me, for Nate.”

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Interesting quote from Cleary via Max at the Athletic when asked about Danielson feeling more pressure this training camp:

“I don’t know,” Red Wings assistant director of player development Dan Cleary said before Sunday’s game. “I don’t think so, knowing Nate, knowing how he’s built. He’s certainly in great shape, he’s skating real well, he looked great yesterday, he’s looked great in development camp.”

And then Cleary paused for a second.

“I have inner thoughts that I don’t want to say out loud. But not a lot would surprise me, for Nate.”
I wonder what that means

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Just watched the games and I was pretty happy with Danielson, Lombardi, Finnie and MBN. Lombardi and Finnie look like they could be players that will be middle or lower in the lineup but we need homegrown guys in those roles, too. I'm hopingfor a big season from both of them on their respective teams.

Small sample size, but Buium looks like trade bait to me. I was never a huge fan and I'm not seeing enough to think he'll be better than a nondescript bottom pair guy. I really wish we drafted Josh Doan instead.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Just watched the games and I was pretty happy with Danielson, Lombardi, Finnie and MBN. Lombardi and Finnie look like they could be players that will be middle or lower in the lineup but we need homegrown guys in those roles, too. I'm hopingfor a big season from both of them on their respective teams.

Small sample size, but Buium looks like trade bait to me. I was never a huge fan and I'm not seeing enough to think he'll be better than a nondescript bottom pair guy. I really wish we drafted Josh Doan instead.
Its going to be interesting defensively from a young guys perspective. We already have two for sures in Ed and Seider. Then you have a guy like Aljo that just seems like a solid jack of all trades master of none dman. I think that means you have 1 maybe 2 spots open in the near future for dman and the 2nd is one of the guys needed to supplant Aljo. I just don't see the Wings have more than 4 developed dmen on the roster at one time. You are going to want some vets in there to balance out the youngness of that d core. So you have Buium, AntJo, ASP, Wallinder, Tuomisto all need huge years to really stay in the thick of things. I would not be surprised to see 1 or 2 of that group traded if Aljo comes out of the gate well.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I agree Larkin had more grit. If you mean Larkin was physically more mature then I won't argue that point either. I don't think Larkin was mentally more mature. I think Larkin is faster and better first step, Danielson seems to have better edges. It's hard to remember because Larkin was a rookie so long ago. I see a lot of similarities.

I agree with your opinion but will go one step further. I think Nate thinks through the game, aka hockey IQ, better than Larkin did at 19. He doesn't have the wheels Dylan did/does and has to use smooth skating and great stick checks to aide in his play. I still say the guy has the tools to be the #2 center today. He needs only two things, Kane and Cat to each side. OK, maybe Tarasenko.

For the Wings, clearly the best player on the ice.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Its going to be interesting defensively from a young guys perspective. We already have two for sures in Ed and Seider. Then you have a guy like Aljo that just seems like a solid jack of all trades master of none dman. I think that means you have 1 maybe 2 spots open in the near future for dman and the 2nd is one of the guys needed to supplant Aljo. I just don't see the Wings have more than 4 developed dmen on the roster at one time. You are going to want some vets in there to balance out the youngness of that d core. So you have Buium, AntJo, ASP, Wallinder, Tuomisto all need huge years to really stay in the thick of things. I would not be surprised to see 1 or 2 of that group traded if Aljo comes out of the gate well.

I think Anton Johansson is going to surprise a lot of us. Everytime I watch him I come away shocked a guy that moves like him could have fallen to the 4th round. His skating is in the upper tier of the Wings prospect pool. If he can fill out and play a steady defensive game I think he's got a chance at being a 4-6 defender in the league.

ASP's size and injuries are troubling to me but I hope that he'll have those sorted out soon. The worry with him is he becomes another Boqvist or Brannstrom, but I think his IQ is better than both of them. Wallinder is the guy that I think needs to have the biggest year of the bunch. He should be the automatic #1 in Grand Rapids. Does he turn into another Jakub Kindl or does he become an impactful puckmover and PP2 option?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think Anton Johansson is going to surprise a lot of us. Everytime I watch him I come away shocked a guy that moves like him could have fallen to the 4th round. His skating is in the upper tier of the Wings prospect pool. If he can fill out and play a steady defensive game I think he's got a chance at being a 4-6 defender in the league.

ASP's size and injuries are troubling to me but I hope that he'll have those sorted out soon. The worry with him is he becomes another Boqvist or Brannstrom, but I think his IQ is better than both of them. Wallinder is the guy that I think needs to have the biggest year of the bunch. He should be the automatic #1 in Grand Rapids. Does he turn into another Jakub Kindl or does he become an impactful puckmover and PP2 option?
The bolded is a problem for Anton.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Interesting comments from Yzerman on the future of Traverse City. Said they'll dig in more with Jim Nill after the preseason but acknowledged its very much up in the air.

He mentioned some teams didn't want to play 4 games, others not wanting to travel to TC and others wanting to explore other opportunities.

He also said they are exploring involving a 3rd team next year but it is not essential.

Lastly he talked about doing the tournament in the Dallas area. I believe he went so far as to use the phrasing "Traverse City may have ran its course"

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Interesting comments from Yzerman on the future of Traverse City. Said they'll dig in more with Jim Nill after the preseason but acknowledged its very much up in the air.

He mentioned some teams didn't want to play 4 games, others not wanting to travel to TC and others wanting to explore other opportunities.

He also said they are exploring involving a 3rd team next year but it is not essential.

Lastly he talked about doing the tournament in the Dallas area. I believe he went so far as to use the phrasing "Traverse City may have ran its course"

The logistics of getting teams of hockey players to traverse city makes it less than ideal.

Dallas would be a great choice and get more teams back to the tournaments. I’m all for it.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The logistics of getting teams of hockey players to traverse city makes it less than ideal.

Dallas would be a great choice and get more teams back to the tournaments. I’m all for it.

Meh, I don't really care much about the logistics. Ultimately I'm a Canadian so none of this matters to me but TC seems like a cool place and this will be a bit of a blow for that community.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad