Travel to Pittsburgh

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't think there's really any "can't miss" stuff but I'll give you some suggestions. The below is assuming "downtown" is near 6th and Liberty.

If you're going to do some breweries on your shenanigan day while walking then I think you have 3 options:

1. Do the North Side/Shore breweries which consist of: Southern Tier, Voodoo, Four Points, Late Addition (formerly 412), Allegheny City, and Penn Brewery. This area of town actually used to be a separate city (Allegheny) and has some cool architecture in the Mexican War Streets. If you're over this way there are also some artsy museums you can check out (Warhol or Mattress Factory).

2. Do the Strip District breweries which consist of: Helltown, Aslin, Bonafide, and Cinderlands. The Strip District has a bunch of interesting shops. They were mostly local but now it's getting a bit more corporate. Anyway, I'm sure you'll see some neat yinzer stuff in this neighborhood.

3. Do the Southside breweries which consist of: Burghers Brewing, Sly Fox, Fat Head's, Velum, and Levity. I'd actually suggest getting and Uber/Lyft to Levity and working your way back towards downtown. Levity's area is the Southside Works which has the Cheesecake Factory in it and restaurants with some similar vibes. I swear it gets more local/yinzery once you leave the Works and head towards the lower numbered streets.

Restaurant-wise I'd just say to do a Google Map search for the type of food you're looking for. Anything above 4 stars should be pretty decent. And 4.5 stars or more should be quite good. One of my go to restaurants is Kaya in the Strip.

Furry convention is this weekend.
Is there still a collection of breweries in Lawrenceville?

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Is there still a collection of breweries in Lawrenceville?

There is but that's quite a far walk from the downtown area. Instead if @Roo Returns feels like it they can Uber/Lyft to Hop Farm and work their way back towards the Strip. Would definitely need to get a ride home but they'd be able to hit up: Hop Farm, Lolev, Coven, Eleventh Hour, another Burgers location, and possibly Trace or Church Brew Works if they want to go a little bit out of the way. Though I'd just ignore Church Brew Works.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There is but that's quite a far walk from the downtown area. Instead if @Roo Returns feels like it they can Uber/Lyft to Hop Farm and work their way back towards the Strip. Would definitely need to get a ride home but they'd be able to hit up: Hop Farm, Lolev, Coven, Eleventh Hour, another Burgers location, and possibly Trace or Church Brew Works if they want to go a little bit out of the way. Though I'd just ignore Church Brew Works.
Yeah yeah I was just following up for my own edification. I grew up in Ross and have lived out of town since the late 80s/early 90s. But still have family/friends so am back on the regular. I just found your Strip/SouthSide info helpful, so decided to see what else I could learn. I recall hitting up a bunch of places in Larryville once but that was probably a decade ago...

I have friends who live in the War Streets, and they dig Allegheny City and Four Points, so we frequent there when I'm visiting. Last time I was home I stopped by Lincoln Avenue in Bellevue on a whim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
great overview of good places...and yes ignore Chrch Brew Works

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
As a follow up thanks for the recommendation Penguins fans. Y'all have a nice city. I was able to check out some cool restaurants like Meat and Potatoes, the Primanti Bros in Market Square, Specked Egg, some breweries, Pirates game, Warhol Museum, Steelers stadium (it's still Heinz in my mind too).

The real gem of the trip was Eide's Entertainment. As a big music/movie/comics dork it was great to just go browse and find some more indie stuff. Unfortunately where I'm from, those type of stores aren't too prevalent anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad