Confirmed with Link: Training Camp

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
It was widely reported that Michkov gave us the "distinct impression" that he didn't want to play for us during his pre-draft meeting with the team. I don't even consider him as an option for BA. Glad he didn't risk taking him in that case. Other teams passed on him too.

The biggest goal of the offseason was to improve defense. Sergachev will be a big part of that and also has gobs of playoff experience. I also like the idea of Sergachev being a russian speaking mentor that helps make the transition to NA easier for But and Simashev.

Losing Geekie hurts, but I think what we got in return is what's best for us right now. There will be more painful trades coming while the team transitions from rebuild to going all in.

Iginla is currently the 16th ranked NHL prospect. Yakemchuk is rated 20. Maybe 16 to 20 is splitting hairs a bit, but this team has been unable to find a true number 1 center for over two decades. I'll stick with Iginla.

Way too soon for me to have any regrets that BA took But over Benson. Right now I actually like what I'm hearing about But.

Simachev is the pick that is heavily TBD for me. Not so sure about that one since he seems to have very little offensive capabilities. I hope he turns into a killer Defensive D because he worries me.

I'm good with option 2.
Michkov would have played here with the move to Utah, and who knows if it was actually true. Michkov is going to be an elite player imo. Better player than any pick Bill Armstrong has made yet for this team, and will be a far superior pick over Simashev.

Yakemchuk looks good enough to make Ottawa this year, but will probably be sent back. He is def a better pick than Iginla imo. Yakemchuk is a right shot, 6'3, unreal hands, great shot, and plays mean. This is the kinda guy every team covets in the NHL. Iginla will be a solid NHLer, but I don't think he ends up better than Yakemchuk. Plus guys like Yakemchuk are harder to find than guys like iggy.

Geekie looks unreal so far in tampa, and a real warrior. He just gave a guy a whooping in a pre-season game. I love his bite, how he hits, his size, everything about him just screams playoff beast. I think sergachev has won his cups, and now he is going to enjoy his retirement years in Utah. I don't think he will have that extra drive. Plus Moser was still a solid top 4 D-man. There is a reason tampa traded sergachev like Seravilli said on that podcast.

Benson right now looks like the better prospect over But. The kids compete, his hands, vision, defensive play etc is all damn good, and he will be a big piece for Buffalo. I am not counting out But, I just think Benson right now looks like the better pick. He is on an NHL roster for a reason.

Simashev has no offensive upside at all, and I think he tops out as a top 4 D-man who is good on the PK and solid in is own end. I don't think he ever will be a #1 D-man, which you're hoping for when you draft a guy 6th overall...Yakemchuk on the other hand, I think will be.

So in my opinion, BA missed out on.

Michkov - Elite level player who has a good shot at being the next kucherov, kaprizov, or panarin.
Yakemchuk - A #1 D-man who will be a game changer as a Brent Burns type player.
Benson - great two-way fwd, who I think will be a top line winger for a long time.
Geekie - I think Geekie will be a #1 Center in the NHL, and will be a Getzlaf lite Center.

#1 C, #1 D, elite RW, and a #1 LW.

I know you guys will defend BA in your responses, but I am not drinking the kool-aid just yet. BA has done some excellent work don't get me wrong, but passing up on Michkov and not taking Yakemchuk will bite him in the ass imo. Also this Geekie trade might look very rough when it's all said and done.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Michkov would have played here with the move to Utah

You say that like he's told you personally.

He never interviewed with Utah HC because it didn't exist yet. Strange argument.

and who knows if it was actually true.

His agent supposedly confirmed it in an interview:

"'Arizona and Washington are the two clubs that are exactly [what he wanted to avoid] for various reasons,' Fedotov added."

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/washington-capitals/takes/washington-capitals-matvei-michkov-not-drafted#:~:text=Per Russian hockey agent Sergei Fedotov, who represents

He was also considered a top 3 pick and ended up going 7th. 5 other teams passed him up and took very good, but lesser regarded prospects. IMO that only lends even more credibility that he was trying to avoid certain teams and just like BA, they didn't like the risk either.

Since you don't believe all the reports, why do you believe the other teams passed on Michkov too since he was clearly the BPA?

Better player than any pick Bill Armstrong has made yet for this team, and will be a far superior pick over Simashev.

I agree. But picking Michkov only to have him stay in Russia or force a trade would be devastating and not worth the risk. Like I said above, 5 other teams weren't willing to take that risk either. Hard to fault BA for not taking him.

guys like Yakemchuk are harder to find than guys like iggy.

We've had some fantastic D-men on this team over the years. Been over 20 years since we've had good C depth. So I disagree.

Geekie looks unreal so far in tampa, and a real warrior.

It's only been a few preseason games. Slow down a bit. He's known for being streaky.

Benson right now looks like the better prospect over But.

Maybe. I'd like to see But in the NHL for a fair comparison. 5 years from now Benson could be Connor Garland and But could be Tage Thompson. It's way too early to declare a winner.

Simashev has no offensive upside at all

Agreed. That's the one pick I really, really question. Time will tell.

I am not drinking the kool-aid

Don't be smug just because you disagree. I don't think it's too crazy to have faith in the 'owski's and the rest of the scouting staff. They've earned it based on their resumes/track record. BA has assembled one heck of a scouting staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagged Ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad