Boston Bruins Training Camp

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I don't care who you are, you can't score if you're reluctant to shoot the puck.

Monty needs to tell his forwards to stop passing the puck around and shoot, shoot, shoot. And oh btw, be closer to the net when you do shoot the puck it increases the chances of it going into the net.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I don't care who you are, you can't score if you're reluctant to shoot the puck.

Monty needs to tell his forwards to stop passing the puck around and shoot, shoot, shoot. And oh btw, be closer to the net when you do shoot the puck it increases the chances of it going into the net.
That's not his thing. Monty is a scoring chance guy, not a shot volume guy. He had no problem getting outshot in the playoffs.

Fwiw, I do agree that the Bruins overdo it with the passing, especially McAvoy. Love him and think he's awesome but he has a tendency to turn down Grade A chances on the hope he can make an extra pass and set up a Grade A+ chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan and JCRO

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
That's not his thing. Monty is a scoring chance guy, not a shot volume guy. He had no problem getting outshot in the playoffs.

Fwiw, I do agree that the Bruins pass overdo it with the passing, especially McAvoy. Love him and think he's awesome but he has a tendency to turn down Grade A chances on the hope he can make an extra pass and set up a Grade A+ chance.
Oh a major pet peeve of mine with him specifically.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

Fwiw, I do agree that the Bruins pass overdo it with the passing, especially McAvoy. Love him and think he's awesome but he has a tendency to turn down Grade A chances on the hope he can make an extra pass and set up a Grade A+ chance.
I agree. He loves setting up the tap in goals when he has a clear shot at the net. He has a really nice shot. I’d rather see him let it go more.

Reactions: PlayMakers

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I think Monty needs to adapt his style to his team then. IMO with the exception of Pasta there isn't anyone on this team who can turn a scoring chance into an actual goal on anything like a consistent basis.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Fwiw, I do agree that the Bruins overdo it with the passing, especially McAvoy. Love him and think he's awesome but he has a tendency to turn down Grade A chances on the hope he can make an extra pass and set up a Grade A+ chance.

Certain players should shoot more. I think Frederic and Zacha both have an elite wrist shot and should look to use it more.

I do agree with Montgomery that a mindless shot to please the fan base is just a turnover.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Certain players should shoot more. I think Frederic and Zacha both have an elite wrist shot and should look to use it more.

I do agree with Montgomery that a mindless shot to please the fan base is just a turnover.
Fredric has mastered the art of hitting the cross bar.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

There is definitely a middle ground. We saw Florida use shot volume approach and it worked great. Cassidy was also a big fan of shot volume. And of course, shot attempts drives most of the analytics so teams that spam the net pucks generally look better on paper then put five or six shots a period.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

BSJ Live Q&A: Haggerty on Bruins preseason, Swayman - 10 a.m. Friday 10.04.24​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad