Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I thought Lysell was stronger this camp than last and thought he`d earned a longer look but oki doki, I now wonder if he goes down with a good attitude, play his ass off or if he is pissed and wants out?

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I do wonder, had Lysell actually showed up to game 1 with some urgency, if he would've made it through this round of cuts.

The comments from Monty came after game 1. And the comments from Marchy came after a strong game 2 from Lysell which leads me to believe game 1 hurt him.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
My guess from an interview and how he has played so far is you are probably going to see Potrias as the second line winger. I just don’t think they see him as a center this year. While stronger I can see Monty going the safer route of using Frederic as the third line center.

Question is whether they see a fit with Johnson as either a third line or second line winger. My guess he affects where Potrias slips in.

It’s a numbers game and it seems Potsy and Johnson are most likely the guys that sent Lysell and Murk down.

I keep coming back to this being the best lineup because Coyle is usually such a matchup advantage on line 3:

Zacha makes line 2 much more dangerous offensively. Frederic can keep up with those 2 on line 1 and offer a little defense/grit as well.

Frederic - Lindholm - Pasta
Marchand - Zacha - Poitras
Geekie - Coyle - Brazeau
Jones - Kastelic - Beecher

(Johnson? -- when/if signed)

Reactions: HustleB

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Understandably, many are baffled and perhaps upset by the decision to send Lysell & Merkulov down.

This was a joint decision between Sweeney/Neely and Montgomery.

Not certain what the former are thinking, but the latter is likely concerned with icing a team that will win the most games.

A predictable, reliable known quantity absent growing pains. Veterans and largely proven NHL players.

The better to secure his position heading into a season without, at present, a contract extension.

My hope was to get a good look at Riley Duran.

Much more so, Trevor Kuntar.

"I guess they must know what they're doing,"

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Just posted this in his player thread but since it's coming up here now...

I am a strong advocate for keeping Poitras at center. This team needs him to be a center in the future and he should continue to see time there unless he shows after some time he really cant hang.

IMO, it's very possible that he starts as the third line center between Frederic/Geekie(or TJ) and finishes the season with Marchand on his wing.

Reactions: BTO and PlayMakers

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Spooner played himself out of the NHL with laziness and a bad attitude despite all the opportunities. That doesn't seem to be Lysell at all.
I hope he takes the cut a lot better than he did last season. He sulked for a month. He needs to be consistent and put his head down and work hard. I like Lysell a lot and think he has what it takes to be here full time but he needs to work on consistency.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Just posted this in his player thread but since it's coming up here now...

I am a strong advocate for keeping Poitras at center. This team needs him to be a center in the future and he should continue to see time there unless he shows after some time he really cant hang.

IMO, it's very possible that he starts as the third line center between Frederic/Geekie(or TJ) and finishes the season with Marchand on his wing.
I think a few things about Poitras starting the year on the wing. First, it`s a bit easier in terms of what the expectation/assignments call for. B`s are now loaded up pretty good down the middle, I have no issues with Poitras being on the wing, I think we`ll see him play C at some point or at different points during the year

Reactions: Dr Hook

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I hope he takes the cut a lot better than he did last season. He sulked for a month. He needs to be consistent and put his head down and work hard. I like Lysell a lot and think he has what it takes to be here full time but he needs to work on consistency.
agreed, he had a much better camp based only on the games I watched him play this year once he got the dud of game 1 out of his system.

I betcha if you poll all NHL coaches, 95% of them would take a vet like Johnson over Lysell and let Lysell continue to marinate in the AHL

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Simply a combination of bigger picture implications + player readiness/push

Lots of players don’t crack varsity for a few years after their draft year - one is our captain
It also took Loheri, Beecher, Krejci, Tuukka, Boychuk, McQuaid and others in recent history to make it full time. Hell even Pasta and McAvoy had to spend time down there. They all worked hard and seized the opportunity when it arose. I'm confident that we will see both Lysell and Merk say goodbye to Providence permanently by the end of the season.

I do wonder, had Lysell actually showed up to game 1 with some urgency, if he would've made it through this round of cuts.

The comments from Monty came after game 1. And the comments from Marchy came after a strong game 2 from Lysell which leads me to believe game 1 hurt him.
When Marchand made his comments you knew game 1 was bad.

Reactions: JCRO

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I agree. I don't think he deserved to be cut this early I also didn't like marchands comments. I can't imagine Bergeron or Chara making comments like that regarding a rookie.

Reactions: dugg133

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
8mil AAV at minimum depending on the years. They're offering him something extremely fair, it's on Sway to come off his unreasonable asking price now.
I think Neely was/is just as fired up as Sweeney was the other day with regards to not only the negotiations but the outside noise as well.

I honestly love it.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Neely just dropped the A bomb

(Talking about Swayman)

"I have 64 million reasons why Id be playing right now"

Yeah I did a double take at that, too. I just don't know with Cam whether that was calculated or an off the cuff remark where he then internally wen't "oops." If true, then wow, makes the holdout look pretty poor on Swayman.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I agree. I don't think he deserved to be cut this early I also didn't like marchands comments. I can't imagine Bergeron or Chara making comments like that regarding a rookie.
I don't mind Marchand's comments. He's more blunt but he's been in Lysell, Merk and other's shoes before. He's gotten cut at camp and then got cut after spending 20+ games in Boston. The summer before he broke into the league, he told the staff he wasn't going back to Providence. If anyone is qualified to make those comments, it is 63. I'm also willing to bet he had one on one conversations with them before he said anything to the media.

Bergy and Z had different ways of making pointed comments in the media and Z was never afraid to be blunt when needed but it was rare.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah I did a double take at that, too. I just don't know with Cam whether that was calculated or an off the cuff remark where he then internally wen't "oops." If true, then wow, makes the holdout look pretty poor on Swayman.
KPD with the question tells me this was calculated. And I’m good with that.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
If Linus was still here, and the way he approached OTT camp, there is no guarantee that Sway would have been the #1 this year. He needs to eat his ego and possibly dump his agent.
There's getting as much as you can based on reality, but this is approaching ludicrous.

edit: If and when he returns, he better be lights out, or the torches and pitchfork will storm the castle.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
When Brown went down to Providence last season, in 42 games he went 11-21-32. Not far off from Lysell's pace. He was also +17 and, most importantly, Providence went on a winning streak. He can play wing or center, wins faceoffs, plays physical, is defensively responsible and is supposed to be a great influence in the room. If the Bruins were a mediocre (or worse) team, sure, play Merkulov and Lysell right now. But that's not the Bruins situation.
Good. Then let him go down to Providence and help them go on a winning streak to start the season.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
KPD with the question tells me this was calculated. And I’m good with that.

Yeah, you mentioned in a earlier discussion that this is what you would do and I lean toward your thinking here as well. It's fine- if that is the true offer on the table, it really does make the situation look a lot different, especially for those who are insisting that Bruins are 'lowballing' Swayman,

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I'm all for players rights and arbitration, even though it can get ugly at times, but there is a point where the athlete needs to shove his ego aside. $64 million is an incredible deal for Swayman.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm all for players rights and arbitration, even though it can get ugly at times, but there is a point where the athlete needs to shove his ego aside. $64 million is an incredible deal for Swayman.

It's more than I would have given him, for sure, and if Swayman wants more than that to the point where they can't get an agreement, then screw him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad