Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

BUFFALO — The life of an NHL manager is a perpetual task of dotting i’s and crossing t’s, while recognizing it’s virtually impossible to be prepared for everything.

So many variables, enough for any general manager to gaze over the treacherous landscape and say, “Gonna need a bigger alphabet.”

In a fast, grueling contact sport of 82 games, and a playoff season that can tack on 28 more, a twisted knee here or a popped shoulder there can render a sure thing of a season into a protracted, agonizing struggle to avoid becoming shark bait in the playoff DNQ pool with 15 other also-rans.
For now, with the Bruins set to open training camp Wednesday morning in Brighton, the 2024-25 NHL season about to dawn, GM Don Sweeney feels confident about the composition of his roster, the one engineered by his hand.

“If there are holes … I don’t think so,” Sweeney mused here during the annual rookie tournament that wrapped up Monday with Boston’s kids delivering a 6-4 win over New Jersey’s freshmen. “Not at the stage we’re at.”

As a means of insurance, specifically if a spot at forward needs to be patched, versatile ex-Lightning/Blackhawk forward Tyler Johnson, 34, will be on hand with a tryout contract. If Johnson comes in hot, or if some of the kids — such as Matthew Poitras, Georgii Merkulov, or Fabian Lysell — come in even lukewarm, then Sweeney can write the 12-year vet to an NHL deal, provided another team doesn’t swoop in with an offer too good for the two-time Stanley Cup champ to refuse.

Tyler represents a really good opportunity for us,” noted Sweeney, now entering his 10th season as clerk of the Black-and-Gold works. “Danton [Heinen] was a great example last year for us. We targeted [Johnson] early on, not that we felt he couldn’t play or didn’t deserve a contract, which is an awkward conversation with a player of his ilk, but we explained early on that we felt it would be a really good opportunity for him to come in and play and compete against some of the younger guys that we’d like to see take a step.”

Camp’s biggest potential bugaboo is that No. 1 goalie Jeremy Swayman is expected to be among the missing when the doors swing open at 80 Guest Street. A restricted free agent, Swayman, 25, has yet to agree to a contract extension.

If Swayman were to become a holdout, the Bruins could be looking at opening the new season with veteran Joonas Korpisalo and rookie Brandon Bussi as their two goalies in residence.

Neither Korpisalo, a veteran acquired in the trade that sent Linus Ullmark to Ottawa, nor Bussi, a third-year pro signed as a free agent out of Western Michigan, has ever played a minute for the Bruins. The last time a season started with the Bruins’ two goalies showing 00:00 in franchise minutes was October 1980 with Rogie Vachon and US Olympic hero Jim Craig as the tandem.

Sweeney, when asked about the Swayman negotiations, said, “Kick it down the road,” saying he’ll talk about the subject next week. He and coach Jim Montgomery are expected to have a presser Wednesday, with Swayman questions no doubt the lead topic of discussion.

Sweeney’s roster, as noted here over the weekend by colleague Jim McBride, is the biggest he’s ever assembled and on average the biggest in the league (something even adding the 5-foot-8-inch Johnson wouldn’t change).

The accomplishment of going big, said Sweeney, was not a specific mission, but rather a consequence, or value added, of bringing in some high-compete, high-tempo personnel.

On the back end, there is 6-6 Nikita Zadorov (unrestricted free agent via Vancouver). Up front, there are 6-6 Riley Tufte (UFA via Colorado), 6-4 Mark Kastelic (also part of the Ullmark swap), and 6-3 Max Jones (UFA via Anaheim). And though he’s not a new face, there is also 6-3 Johnny Beecher, with only 52 games of NHL experience.

“We didn’t go out and just turn around and say we have a goal to be the biggest team,” said Sweeney. “That has nothing to do with it. We’ve identified players, and you’ve heard me say, those guys can all skate. Riley Tufte can really skate. Kastelic, his skate test and on-ice stuff, he’s a better skater than we might have evaluated. Johnny Beecher can skate. Max Jones can really skate.”

Such speed, noted Sweeney, should create anxiety for nightly opponents.

“And they are bigger and heavier,” he added. “That’s OK. It’s a big byproduct.”

Speed, or lack of it, was an obvious issue in the Bruins’ Round 2 dismissal by the Panthers last spring. The deficiency became even more glaring as the playoffs continued. The Panthers and Oilers made the Cup Final a track meet, a speed hard to imagine that iteration of the Bruins ever achieving.

All of which should have Montgomery preaching pace, pace, and pace when the puck drops at Wednesday’s camp.

“Early on, he’s going to want training camp to be a certain pace,” said Sweeney. “If bigger guys can’t keep up, they’re not going to play.”

Gentlemen, tug up those skate laces and take your mark — the long, hard race is about to begin.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

BUFFALO — The life of an NHL manager is a perpetual task of dotting i’s and crossing t’s, while recognizing it’s virtually impossible to be prepared for everything.

So many variables, enough for any general manager to gaze over the treacherous landscape and say, “Gonna need a bigger alphabet.”

In a fast, grueling contact sport of 82 games, and a playoff season that can tack on 28 more, a twisted knee here or a popped shoulder there can render a sure thing of a season into a protracted, agonizing struggle to avoid becoming shark bait in the playoff DNQ pool with 15 other also-rans.
For now, with the Bruins set to open training camp Wednesday morning in Brighton, the 2024-25 NHL season about to dawn, GM Don Sweeney feels confident about the composition of his roster, the one engineered by his hand.

“If there are holes … I don’t think so,” Sweeney mused here during the annual rookie tournament that wrapped up Monday with Boston’s kids delivering a 6-4 win over New Jersey’s freshmen. “Not at the stage we’re at.”

As a means of insurance, specifically if a spot at forward needs to be patched, versatile ex-Lightning/Blackhawk forward Tyler Johnson, 34, will be on hand with a tryout contract. If Johnson comes in hot, or if some of the kids — such as Matthew Poitras, Georgii Merkulov, or Fabian Lysell — come in even lukewarm, then Sweeney can write the 12-year vet to an NHL deal, provided another team doesn’t swoop in with an offer too good for the two-time Stanley Cup champ to refuse.

Tyler represents a really good opportunity for us,” noted Sweeney, now entering his 10th season as clerk of the Black-and-Gold works. “Danton [Heinen] was a great example last year for us. We targeted [Johnson] early on, not that we felt he couldn’t play or didn’t deserve a contract, which is an awkward conversation with a player of his ilk, but we explained early on that we felt it would be a really good opportunity for him to come in and play and compete against some of the younger guys that we’d like to see take a step.”

Camp’s biggest potential bugaboo is that No. 1 goalie Jeremy Swayman is expected to be among the missing when the doors swing open at 80 Guest Street. A restricted free agent, Swayman, 25, has yet to agree to a contract extension.

If Swayman were to become a holdout, the Bruins could be looking at opening the new season with veteran Joonas Korpisalo and rookie Brandon Bussi as their two goalies in residence.

Neither Korpisalo, a veteran acquired in the trade that sent Linus Ullmark to Ottawa, nor Bussi, a third-year pro signed as a free agent out of Western Michigan, has ever played a minute for the Bruins. The last time a season started with the Bruins’ two goalies showing 00:00 in franchise minutes was October 1980 with Rogie Vachon and US Olympic hero Jim Craig as the tandem.

Sweeney, when asked about the Swayman negotiations, said, “Kick it down the road,” saying he’ll talk about the subject next week. He and coach Jim Montgomery are expected to have a presser Wednesday, with Swayman questions no doubt the lead topic of discussion.

Sweeney’s roster, as noted here over the weekend by colleague Jim McBride, is the biggest he’s ever assembled and on average the biggest in the league (something even adding the 5-foot-8-inch Johnson wouldn’t change).

The accomplishment of going big, said Sweeney, was not a specific mission, but rather a consequence, or value added, of bringing in some high-compete, high-tempo personnel.

On the back end, there is 6-6 Nikita Zadorov (unrestricted free agent via Vancouver). Up front, there are 6-6 Riley Tufte (UFA via Colorado), 6-4 Mark Kastelic (also part of the Ullmark swap), and 6-3 Max Jones (UFA via Anaheim). And though he’s not a new face, there is also 6-3 Johnny Beecher, with only 52 games of NHL experience.

“We didn’t go out and just turn around and say we have a goal to be the biggest team,” said Sweeney. “That has nothing to do with it. We’ve identified players, and you’ve heard me say, those guys can all skate. Riley Tufte can really skate. Kastelic, his skate test and on-ice stuff, he’s a better skater than we might have evaluated. Johnny Beecher can skate. Max Jones can really skate.”

Such speed, noted Sweeney, should create anxiety for nightly opponents.

“And they are bigger and heavier,” he added. “That’s OK. It’s a big byproduct.”

Speed, or lack of it, was an obvious issue in the Bruins’ Round 2 dismissal by the Panthers last spring. The deficiency became even more glaring as the playoffs continued. The Panthers and Oilers made the Cup Final a track meet, a speed hard to imagine that iteration of the Bruins ever achieving.

All of which should have Montgomery preaching pace, pace, and pace when the puck drops at Wednesday’s camp.

“Early on, he’s going to want training camp to be a certain pace,” said Sweeney. “If bigger guys can’t keep up, they’re not going to play.”

Gentlemen, tug up those skate laces and take your mark — the long, hard race is about to begin.
So nice to see a Training Camp thread. Thanks Wally. :D

cnosek6342

May 15, 2024
Massachusetts
Super excited for this episode. hopefully we get a lot of questions!
Camp is soooo close.

Also - THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS TUNED IN ALL SUMMER! While continuing to do the shows all summer, it really has been a long summer for us (at least myself) and the shows help push through it.
I am so excited to have NEW stuff to start discussing with everyone oh so soon!

Please please please tell us - what do YOU want myself and @DominicT to talk about!

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Camp is soooo close.

Also - THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS TUNED IN ALL SUMMER! While continuing to do the shows all summer, it really has been a long summer for us (at least myself) and the shows help push through it.

Please please please tell us - what do YOU want myself and @DominicT to talk about!
I would love to hear a deep dive on Merkulov. His path as a C. His path as a W. How much should he focus on developing as a Wing? Could he play alongside Poitras and Geekie/Frederic? Could he play on a 4th line?

He seems like a really nice prospect in a really hard spot. I’d love to see him force his way onto the Bruins but I don’t feel like it’s likely.

cnosek6342

May 15, 2024
Massachusetts
I would love to hear a deep dive on Merkulov. His path as a C. His path as a W. How much should he focus on developing as a Wing? Could he play alongside Poitras and Geekie/Frederic? Could he play on a 4th line?

He seems like a really nice prospect in a really hard spot. I’d love to see him force his way onto the Bruins but I don’t feel like it’s likely.
Ill make a note of this topic and we'll touch on it tonight a bit, but I think once we see him in camp we may have a better idea of the opportunity he will get this season. During his last call-up last season he was given an opportunity to take the role of Matthew Poitras while he was at worlds and Merk couldn't take it. They then tried him in a lesser role on the 4th line and he proved not ready for that role either. Both of these were at the C position so I'm looking forward to see who he skates w/ during training camp and if it's at C or LW.

@DominicT has pointed out that Merk has never once played RW in his career that even dom can find so our guess is that him in a RW spot just won't happen. They MIGHT try it in a practice but as Allen Iverson pointed out "we talkin' bout practice" LOL

Reactions: BMC and HustleB

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

LOL, Korpi and Bussi in net and no established 2 RW, but no holes.

I would love to live in Sweeney's world.

Reactions: BTO and Gordoff

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

About friggin time bruins talk speed. No more Backeseses and JVRs. Speed and tough to play against.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Ditto.

For me I would love to hear more about the following players...What is it they can bring to the bruins that is missing. Why have they not reached regular NHL playing time? Comparisons?

Nelson
Tufte
Viel

BTW love the show DOM and CNosek. Dave from Niagara.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff and HustleB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Camp is soooo close.

always an informative chat

took in a few BCHL tilts over the last week, this new kid on the Vic Grizzlies caught my eye on almost every shift, big LW, uses his body well, skates well, has great hands, not at all thinking he`s a first rounder but could be a find in the late 2nd or 3rd

Alex Hebblethwaite

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney to Dupes in Globe today

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Ditto.

For me I would love to hear more about the following players...What is it they can bring to the bruins that is missing. Why have they not reached regular NHL playing time? Comparisons?

Nelson
Tufte
Viel

BTW love the show DOM and CNosek. Dave from Niagara.
I’m going Saturday to the Providence game & Sunday & Tuesday at TD Garden so looking forward to wearing shirts, laid back, and seeing a lot of the 4th line hopefuls

Always love these games

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Ill make a note of this topic and we'll touch on it tonight a bit, but I think once we see him in camp we may have a better idea of the opportunity he will get this season. During his last call-up last season he was given an opportunity to take the role of Matthew Poitras while he was at worlds and Merk couldn't take it. They then tried him in a lesser role on the 4th line and he proved not ready for that role either. Both of these were at the C position so I'm looking forward to see who he skates w/ during training camp and if it's at C or LW.

@DominicT has pointed out that Merk has never once played RW in his career that even dom can find so our guess is that him in a RW spot just won't happen. They MIGHT try it in a practice but as Allen Iverson pointed out "we talkin' bout practice" LOL
Another deep dive topic for you.

Justin Brazeau. What are your expectations for this year? What is his ceiling this year and long term? To what degree has he alleviated the concern with his skating? Do you consider him a defensive liability? Would his defensive play and skating prevent him from being an option with Poitras or in the top 6?

Thank you for your time. Love the chemistry with you and Dom.

Reactions: cnosek6342 and BMC

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Camp is soooo close.

Opinions of Carlin Dezainde, Jake Sloan and Charlie Hilton from prospect tournament. Chances of AHL contracts for them and an NHL deal for Hilton.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Opinions of Carlin Dezainde, Jake Sloan and Charlie Hilton from prospect tournament. Chances of AHL contracts for them and an NHL deal for Hilton.
They talked about Hilton yesterday in depth. They discussed the possibilty of signing him and owning his rights for three years at no cost. When Dom posted his thoughts on X the agent for Hilton added a like indicating they’d likely be on board.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Woohoo, hockey is back 😁
Ya I am happy, especially since I live in the front pews of the church of football and I am already sick of hearing about it. On the other hand, it feels like last season just ended (maybe because it was hot here when the Cup final was played and it is still hot lol).

Reactions: StrBender

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Bruins literally get back on the ice Wednesday despite their top goalie remaining on ice figuratively.

The business side of hockey will give way to the business of playing hockey as the club opens training camp.

Coach Jim Montgomery will get to work with the team’s shiny new free agent pieces — crafty center Elias Lindholm and towering defenseman Nikita Zadorov — as well as a batch of beefy bodies looking to fill out bottom-six roles.

While the top line appears to be a no-brainer — Lindholm with David Pastrnak on his right and Pavel Zacha on his left — the other three lines are full of mystery.

Montgomery acknowledged that as the summer draws to a close, his head starts to fill with all kinds of ideas and plans.

“Whenever my mind goes to hockey, it goes to two things, and it’s No. 1, what’s the chemistry going to look like?” said Montgomery at the club’s recent Fanfest in Lewiston, Maine. “What about line combinations and D pairings? Who’s going to surprise us? Who’s going to emerge and grab positions and grab a stranglehold of being either a full-time NHLer or first-line power-play guy or a second?

“And then the second thing is, what do we have to change in how we play to be better? You’ve always got to be looking at growing and changing so that you can add subtle wrinkles that will make you better.”

If the Bruins can find an 11th-hour landing spot with All-Star goalie Jeremy Swayman, that would eliminate the biggest question mark heading into Season 101.

If not, Joonas Korpisalo (acquired in the Linus Ullmark trade) and Brandon Bussi (zero NHL games played) will battle to claim the No. 1 job.

Perhaps the biggest position to fill (non-netminder division) will be finding a right wing to round out the second line of center Charlie Coyle and left wing Brad Marchand.

The top candidates to assume the position previously held by Jake DeBrusk (now a Canuck) are Trent Frederic, Fabian Lysell, and Georgii Merkulov.

“I know there’s probably a lot of open spots right now with the changes we’ve had, but I’m just looking to have a good camp,” said Frederic, who set career highs in goals (18), assists (22), and average ice time (13:45) last season.

“I feel like every year people want to slot you in different spots, and at the end of the day, it can change every game, and you see it even throughout the whole year, all the different positions you play. You never know where you’ll get the opportunities, but I’m just looking forward to wherever they put me.”

Lysell, the club’s first-round pick in 2021, made great strides at Providence last season (15 goals, 50 points in 56 games) despite missing a chunk of time with a shoulder injury.

A slick 21-year-old, Lysell has always had offensive chops, but after two years in the organization, his two-way game has improved.

Montgomery wants to see that continue as camp commences.

“I just want to see him immerse himself in one-on-one battles, coming up with loose pucks,” the coach said. “He is a gifted offensive player, and for gifted offensive players to have success, they need to have the puck on their stick, and that’s why I say you need to win one-on-one battles.”

Merkulov has 55 goals and 125 points in 142 games with the Baby B’s across the last three seasons. Like Lysell, Merkulov, who will turn 24 next month, has improved his 200-foot game and needs to continue to show that to earn a varsity job out of camp.

“I think Georgii had a great second year, improved upon a real good first year, and it’s just continuing to grow to become a full-time Bruin,” said Montgomery. “I think not only for him but for a lot of people it’s understanding how to build a team game consistently, having value because you’re not going to get the same quality ice you get in Providence; it’s not going to be given to you.

“We have Pastrnak, we have Marchand, we have players that fulfill those roles. So if players want to come in and be a big part of what we can do — and we think Georgii is one of those guys — it’s producing and building a team game to help us win consistently.”

On the back end, the Bruins have excellent depth and versatility.

The emergence of Mason Lohrei and the addition of Zadorov give the Bruins one of the best all-around defensive corps in the NHL.

“I have pairings in mind,” said Montgomery. “I’ve talked to [assistant coach] Jay Leach and the rest of the staff, and we definitely see a benefit with Zadorov and Charlie [McAvoy] together and Brando [Brandon Carlo] and [Hampus] Lindholm home together, and you’ve got [Andrew] Peeke and Lohrei makes a lot of sense.

“But we’re deep on defense and we think we have one of the best D corps in the league. And as you know, if it’s not working, we will find different combinations that will work the best. But I think we’ve got a lot of moving parts that can really make us dynamic.”

Reactions: Gordoff and HustleB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad