Training Camp Thread II | Oilers Cut 4 more; Nurse, Moroz, Gernat, Pakarinen

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
For anyone interested here's what the groups look like and who remains at camp.

oilers-depth-chart-sep-22.png

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I can deal with Purcell as I think he will get it going and have a decent enough season to get us a late pick at the deadline. Ideally though I'd like to see him replaced with a player who's more physical and does the things that create space for our skilled guys. Hopefully they address this in the off season.

What I cannot take is Nikitin being on this team. He knew he was going to have some competition from young guys and it seems like he just expects to be gifted a spot because of his contract and his "veteran" status. If he doesn't step it up in a hurry I hope they send him to Norfolk, not even Bako cause the guy is probably happy having a nice little vacay in Cali where he doesn't have to give a **** and just collect his check before going back to Russia. BAK will likely have Nurse along with
Laleggia/Davidson/Oesterle/Simpson/Gernat/Musil. Send him to Norfolk and maybe he refuses to report and just goes back to Russia.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Maybe my posts are too long, so I'll try and simplify.

You can give Purcell all the time in the world playing with Hall and McDavid. You can give him all preseason, and into the regular season. You can take all season to figure out he's a mediocre, top 6 player.

I don't care.

But, if he sucks, and fails, he should be gone. He should not play, ever, on a third line, or a line that needs to establish a forechecking style of play.

If you think a butter soft, slow player like Purcell belongs on that line, we'll have to agree to disagree.

This is a pretty simple argument. Hopefully you get it this time, but if not, oh well.

We can adjourn to the next Yakupov bashing thread, where guymez can tell us all how Yak is dragging down his linemates. :laugh:
If you remember right Yak had his best success last year playing with Roy and Purcell. That line was effective why? A strong forecheck and good work in the corners. Roy didn't do work in the corners. Yak did a bit but mostly not. Purcell actually went to work in the corners and actually worked hard and was a good part of that line.

But this garbage player put up almost identical stats to all star Yakupov.

The only part we agree on is that if Purcell doesn't fit in in the top six he shouldn't be there.

Ps: If you actually read any of guymez posts about Yak bringing players down he actually has good points but instead you just use that to try and insult him so that's nice.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I know this goes against the idea of a forum for discussion but I would like to point out chemistry and whatever else people will use as evidence to say "this should be a line" doesn't really matter. Players will have hot and cold streaks. Players will get injured. Almost every one of our starting forwards will play with every other starting forward over the course of a season (even some of our ahl forwards). I'm more interested to see our special teams arrangements as those are the fairly static set ups that indicate what our coach thinks of players. The players themselves will earn spots higher or lower in the line up as this thing goes along. Who knows maybe by December we will be talking about how Purcell is vital to a line with Mcdavid, or how a rookie like slepyshev has taken a job away from a veteran. That's why you play the games.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
It's only preseason so I'm okay with Mclellan experimenting with different lines. New coach so it's expected but I really hope he gives Yak a chance with Mcdavid and Hall or keeps that Drai - Lander - Yak line together in the season. Yak looked solid last game and we need to start giving him more offensively talented players to play with.

Purcell is bad. He has never been very good but he needs to be able to produce somewhat more if he is going to play with Mcdavid and Hall. He did it in Tampa but he looks awful here. Really hope he turns it around. If Purcell found his game, we would have a very solid forward group going into the season. He's the weak link IMO at this moment.

Our defence though...yikes. Ference and Nikitin looked bad last game, really hope we can just terminate Nikitin's contract somehow. Ference too for that matter :laugh:. Both Reinhart and Nurse are better than them. Doubt we go into the season with two rookies but Ference and Nikitin don't deserve to be in the lineup. Ice the best possible roster and keep Ference as the 7th dmen. I hope that's the starting lineup (posted below) once the regular season begins.

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Mcdavid - Purcell
Drai - Lander - Yak
Korps - Letestu - Hendricks
Klink
Gazdic

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Reinhart - Gryba
Ference

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
As a coach if you hear two players were developing chemistry while training in the summer why the hell wouldn't you try it? Chemistry isn't something taught. Either players have it or they don't.

You don't get. Its because its blatant distortion. Somebody basically sees them tossing the puck around on hilites and says "oh theres chemistry" and then this gets repeated until people think its some kind of truth instead of supposition.

Theres quite frankly no way to establish that two players have chemistry so quickly. Anybody can look like they have chemistry doing line rushes, that's less indicative than an exhibition game or an allstar game. Real chemistry is determined in time playing real season against real teams. Its why almost every good coach gets the blender out once in awhile. Sometimes you hit magic, but more often its hit and miss.

Finally, the only way to rationally look at chemistry is whether two people have more chemistry than they would with other partners. People might hook up a couple times but nobody would infer that's going to be the best mate they ever find or that its better than what is out there. Chemistry is established trial and error basically trying different line combinations and seeing what sticks to the lineup wall. Chemistry isn't a has or it doesn't have it principal. Its actually a variant whereby there can be ranges of chemistry in pairings. Its not all or nothing. So of course the main thing in establishing chemistry is understanding first and foremost that its complex, and that its a differential.

I hope this is clear. It isn't incorrect.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Why are Canucks games shown on Sportsnet while Oilers games are shown on a crappy stream

They have a whole province market of 4M. Being the only club in that province, most people tune into Canucks games. Vancouver also has the Seattle market share as the fans in either market are usually fans of whatever club is in the vicinity. Seattle doesn't have a team, but they have a market for it any by and large they are nucks fans. Similarly nearly everybody in Vancouver is a Seahawks fan. Being how easy it is to go to the games. its a market share concept in the lower mainland that stretches beyond borders. Edmonton has no such cross border market. Edmonton has less than 2M market. With a lot of that nebulous market as most of the population working in NA is not necessarily Oiler fans at all.

There just isn't that big an audience for an Edmonton preseason game, even with McDavid.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If you remember right Yak had his best success last year playing with Roy and Purcell. That line was effective why? A strong forecheck and good work in the corners. Roy didn't do work in the corners. Yak did a bit but mostly not. Purcell actually went to work in the corners and actually worked hard and was a good part of that line.

But this garbage player put up almost identical stats to all star Yakupov.

The only part we agree on is that if Purcell doesn't fit in in the top six he shouldn't be there.

Ps: If you actually read any of guymez posts about Yak bringing players down he actually has good points but instead you just use that to try and insult him so that's nice.
With all due respect this is false attribution. Roy and Yak were the key contributors on that line and driving he primary results. I know it doesn't align to convenient narratives either but many times Roy won puck battles and many times yak won puck battles. Once Yak was ignited he had the puck on a string a lot of the time as he cut through D like a hot knife through butter. Did Purcell make some supporting plays. Sure. But not to the level you are suggesting. Yak and Roy clicked. That's primarily what occurred. you don't see either Yak or Roy mentioning Purcell but they sure mention each other a lot when asked about the lines success. They're not rude people either. just that they would be stating what actually occurred on that line.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
One. Arizona wanted Gagner and offered us a crap pick. MacT wanted a player for Gagner. In comes Tampa Bay, they have Purcell who isn't an awful player but they need to move out cap as they have a lot of good young players that can replace Purcell in the top 6, so we trade Gagner and Purcell and they move Gagner and another player for a 7th.

They weren't desperate to get rid of him, they were desperate for cap space and he was expendable.

People need to realize that there is more in a hockey trade then just a player value. And Klinkhammer over Purcell? Come on now that's just over the top ridiculous.
Arizona also wanted the Oilers to retain a part of the salary and at the time the Oilers couldn't do it as a team is only allowed to retain 3 salaries per season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Is Drai still eligible for the Calder?

It'd be funny if he and McDavid battled it out for that this year (which being on the same line).

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
Is Drai still eligible for the Calder?

It'd be funny if he and McDavid battled it out for that this year (which being on the same line).

Nah, played too many games last year. (Another Eakins great decision, leaving him up so his confidence could be nice and shot.)

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nah, played too many games last year. (Another Eakins great decision, leaving him up so his confidence could be nice and shot.)
That was a joint MacT and Eakins decision. And to be fair even if Eakins wanted to send him down they had no one really to replace him.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Arizona also wanted the Oilers to retain a part of the salary and at the time the Oilers couldn't do it as a team is only allowed to retain 3 salaries per season.

Which three players' salaries were we already retaining that wouldn't allow that to happen?

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
That was a joint MacT and Eakins decision. And to be fair even if Eakins wanted to send him down they had no one really to replace him.

Well it was a bad one regardless of who made it.

It was clear we weren't going anywhere in the standings that year, from the first 9 games especially. The team was playing awful and there was stagnation everywhere. He wasn't performing, he didn't look like he belonged. He should have been sent down and it was clear to anyone paying attention.

What was he doing that wasn't replaceable? From what I remember, not much.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton

It was clear we weren't going anywhere in the standings that year, from the first 9 games especially. The team was playing awful and there was stagnation everywhere. He wasn't performing, he didn't look like he belonged. He should have been sent down and it was clear to anyone paying attention.

Looking back it wasn't really that bad, his confidence wasn't "shot" and instead of going to the **** show that is PA he went to a great team in Kelowna. Looks great so far this year, he got alot of valuable experience last season

McDeathbyCheerios*

Every other center in camp looked like garbage. We had no one to call up as Eakins hated Lander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad