Training Camp Standouts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Hutson isn't fast, and that is his main weakness IMO (with his size). Richard is probably one of the fastest player in the AHL/NHL, guy is a rocket.

However to come in this thread and say Hutson was a standout in a bad way after watching that game is really funny.

Hutson was the best player on the ice for both team, and got the 1st star of the game, deservedly so. Dominant performance for a 20 y old. I'd not say he was bad defensively at all just because he got burned by Richard.
I heard Luchanko has been excellent in camp. He was one of my picks in this year's fantasy keeper draft, so I've been paying attention.

That poster just said Hutsons defensive weaknesses were highlighted. Nowhere did he say Hutson was bad overall or that he didn’t dominate the game offensively. People are so insanely sensitive over their favorite players for no reason.

Hutson does not have the skating necessary to be a good defensive D at his size. He needs to work on that a lot or teams will exploit it heavily as the amount of tape on him grows, and that will make him a significant defensive liability. At the same time, he was dominant offensively and has the ability to be a top 5-10 offensive D in the league.

Both of these things can be true. Yall lack the ability to discuss things with any sort of nuance.
There's another facet of life that this should directly translate too, that can't be mentioned in this thread, but follows the same rationale! Nice post!

Jan 21, 2018
Let’s just merge this thread into the Hutson thread wow

I hate when certain fan bases get a shiny new toy

It’s hard to take Montreal fans seriously about Hutson when they have been wrong about their lottery picks:

2023 - reinbacher instead of michkov

2022 - slaf instead of cooley

2018 - kotkaniemi instead of tkachuk

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Aside from the obvious, and quite overstated/boring, "Hutson /thread" answers.

I'd say that both Oliver Kapanen and Owen Beck have been standouts in their own way for Montreal through the rookie camp, prospect tournament, inter-squad scrimmages, and now their respective first games of preseason.

Both players showed well offensively, but have also been extremely solid defensively thus far (moreso Beck, with premium PK play against the Devils tonight).

Aside from that, I'd say that Florian Xhekaj has also showed well with his physical play and quickness as a big-bodied 4th-line center for us. But he has been less impressive than Beck/Kapanen, and obviously Hutson.

So yeah, that's about it for the Canadiens so far.

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
It’s hard to take Montreal fans seriously about Hutson when they have been wrong about their lottery picks:

2023 - reinbacher instead of michkov

2022 - slaf instead of cooley

2018 - kotkaniemi instead of tkachuk
I have to say...being a scout myself some worries ......the Reinbacher over Michkov, i have to say when i was watching i thought montreal was going to call Michkov but I think they made a decision where Russians where so unkown at that time and not sure how hard it would be to get them over, i think they went safer route.....

Slaf was actually rated by many as the 1st overall guy, not sure what he has done to indicate Cooley is better pick so far? actually Slafkovsky had a better season than Cooley last year, sure Cooley is more show time but I actually think Slafkkovsky is better, he plays smarter and more methodical than Cooley.

I can not explain the Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk....at the time it was stupid...but worse they could have had Quinn Hughes or Dobson

Jamaican Patty

Jul 13, 2023
I’m not the biggest fan of Lane Hutson but he’s looking like the real deal. He’s definitely the stand out so far and has a shot at the calder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad