Training Camp Standouts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Victor Mancini and Dylan Garand both had good preseason game 1’s after they were good at the prospect tournaments. I don’t think either has a chance to make the NHL roster for the opener, but both are making a good case to be first up at their positions when another player becomes needed at some point.

Rempe is winning skating contests in practice and giving motivational speeches to the press. He looks thoroughly frightening for the opponents and ready to upset the main boards a lot this season. I think he has a completely safe roster spot, but we’ll see.

Reactions: Forsbergaura21

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Mateychuk looks like he's picking up exactly where he left off this past season.

Brindley looks like he's ready to steal a spot out of camp

LDBB looks like he's ready to get heavy 1C minutes in Cleveland for a year or two

I think Jiricek needs another season or two in Cleveland to fill out and calm his game down a little bit.
Jiricek´s first showing is tomorrow, how can you even say this when you didn´t see him play lol?

Reactions: Czechboy and bert

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Jiricek´s first showing is tomorrow, how can you even say this when you didn´t see him play lol?
... because we've been watching him play for the last two years? And a guy like Mateychuk looks miles ahead of him. Mateychuk stepped straight into the AHL playoffs from the WHL and looked better than Jiricek who had been in the AHL/NHL all season.

And in the Jackets scrimmage yesterday Mateychuk looked like an NHLer out with prospects meanwhile I noticed Jiricek maybe once. Which isn't exactly what you want to see from a known aggressive offensive dmen.

Not to mention Trent Vogelhuber (Cleveland Monsters HC) Was interviewed during the scrimmage yesterday and said we need to hold off on starting to judge Jiricek for another 150 games as dmen usually take 300+ plus games before they really start to define themselves. Not everyone is a generational talent that can come in and make an impact right away. He was talking about calm and collected Mateychuk was and how he came in and felt like a veteran and then later mentioned how they want Jiricek to be more calm out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The Ducks barred fans from live streaming their training camp sessions so I can only go off of what others have said and the rookie tournament:

Cutter Gauthier: almost definitely a lock to make the big team but given that he's undeniably not a play driver, whether he'll be a Calder contender is going to depend on who he plays with and how they do this year. His intensity offensively was inconsistent in his two rookie tournament games but we'll see how preseason goes. Defensively I was pretty happy with his play. Very active on the forecheck and hounding pucks along the boards.

Tristan Luneau: there were some questions/concerns on whether Luneau would be severely affected by missing half the year with a knee infection. He showed up to rookie camp looking like he packed on a lot of muscle and his skating actually looks slightly better in spite of the time missed. Had an outstanding first rookie tourney game but the last two were a little underwhelming. I'd chalk that up to the lower stakes versus preseason. Training camp attendees have said he looks to be right in step with Anaheim's veteran defenders. If he's still not ready, he actually is eligible for AHL play this year where last year Anaheim could only send him down to juniors. Also gonna have to see how he does in preseason. But I'd expect him to at least play a solid chunk of NHL games this year.

None of the other prospects really stood out to me in the rookie games to the extent that they might be ready for NHL play soon. Sasha Pastujov and Yegor Sidorov might get injury call ups here and there. Sam Colangelo could earn a bottom 6 spot but I was thoroughly unimpressed by his rookie tournament.

For young but not prospect players I've seen multiple people say Trevor Zegras looks like the best player in camp and I've heard from one poster here that Leo Carlsson doesn't look any stronger since last season but considering he's still growing I'm sure he'll grow stronger as the season progresses just organically.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
... because we've been watching him play for the last two years? And a guy like Mateychuk looks miles ahead of him. Mateychuk stepped straight into the AHL playoffs from the WHL and looked better than Jiricek who had been in the AHL/NHL all season.

And in the Jackets scrimmage yesterday Mateychuk looked like an NHLer out with prospects meanwhile I noticed Jiricek maybe once. Which isn't exactly what you want to see from a known aggressive offensive dmen.

Not to mention Trent Vogelhuber (Cleveland Monsters HC) Was interviewed during the scrimmage yesterday and said we need to hold off on starting to judge Jiricek for another 150 games as dmen usually take 300+ plus games before they really start to define themselves. Not everyone is a generational talent that can come in and make an impact right away. He was talking about calm and collected Mateychuk was and how he came in and felt like a veteran and then later mentioned how they want Jiricek to be more calm out there.
yeah, so you didn´t see him play i get it, Jiricek just touched the ice for the first time in training

Reactions: Czechboy

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
yeah, so you didn´t see him play i get it, Jiricek just touched the ice for the first time in training
It's not just me, his coach said the same thing, as did majority of the CBJ boards. He needs more time, he still looks like a newborn deer on his skates. With his size and skill set he should have dominated a bunch of new prospects in the system.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
It's not just me, his coach said the same thing, as did majority of the CBJ boards. He needs more time, he still looks like a newborn deer on his skates. With his size and skill set he should have dominated a bunch of new prospects in the system.
And i agree, it´s just ridiculous you are making statements from scrimmage after his flight to NA. And he dominated prospects 2 years ago why he wouldn´t dominate prospects after 2 productive pro seasons in NA? This whole Mateychuk better than Jiricek seems more like wishful thinking of CBJ fans on this forum so far. Mateychuk didn´t impress me much in AHL. Lets see his first game tonight, then make assumptions ok?

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Would like to throw a shout in for Jett Luchanko for the Flyers. A heavily criticized pick, but he has been absolutely outstanding through the rookie games and his first pre-season game where he picked up 2 assists and was all over the place, creating.

Even the beats are commenting on how he could potentially enter the Flyers line-up right now as a 3C as an 18 year old. His speed, passing and IQ are very noticeable, and he's an awesome PKer, even competing with Michkov as the best player so far in camp (with some even saying he's outshone him). Plus, he's a year younger.

He definitely pops, and is a good kid so great (potential) pick by the Flyers, after much criticism. Will probably get sent down still but he's had a great showing.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The Ducks barred fans from live streaming their training camp sessions so I can only go off of what others have said and the rookie tournament:

Cutter Gauthier: almost definitely a lock to make the big team but given that he's undeniably not a play driver, whether he'll be a Calder contender is going to depend on who he plays with and how they do this year. His intensity offensively was inconsistent in his two rookie tournament games but we'll see how preseason goes. Defensively I was pretty happy with his play. Very active on the forecheck and hounding pucks along the boards.

Tristan Luneau: there were some questions/concerns on whether Luneau would be severely affected by missing half the year with a knee infection. He showed up to rookie camp looking like he packed on a lot of muscle and his skating actually looks slightly better in spite of the time missed. Had an outstanding first rookie tourney game but the last two were a little underwhelming. I'd chalk that up to the lower stakes versus preseason. Training camp attendees have said he looks to be right in step with Anaheim's veteran defenders. If he's still not ready, he actually is eligible for AHL play this year where last year Anaheim could only send him down to juniors. Also gonna have to see how he does in preseason. But I'd expect him to at least play a solid chunk of NHL games this year.

None of the other prospects really stood out to me in the rookie games to the extent that they might be ready for NHL play soon. Sasha Pastujov and Yegor Sidorov might get injury call ups here and there. Sam Colangelo could earn a bottom 6 spot but I was thoroughly unimpressed by his rookie tournament.

For young but not prospect players I've seen multiple people say Trevor Zegras looks like the best player in camp and I've heard from one poster here that Leo Carlsson doesn't look any stronger since last season but considering he's still growing I'm sure he'll grow stronger as the season progresses just organically.
Any insight on Zellweger?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Would like to throw a shout in for Jett Luchanko for the Flyers. A heavily criticized pick, but he has been absolutely outstanding through the rookie games and his first pre-season game where he picked up 2 assists and was all over the place, creating.

Even the beats are commenting on how he could potentially enter the Flyers line-up right now as a 3C as an 18 year old. His speed, passing and IQ are very noticeable, and he's an awesome PKer, even competing with Michkov as the best player so far in camp (with some even saying he's outshone him). Plus, he's a year younger.

He definitely pops, and is a good kid so great (potential) pick by the Flyers, after much criticism. Will probably get sent down still but he's had a great showing.
I always thought that he'd be a good pick. It's just that PHI appeared to be gifted a guy at #12 that no one thought would be there, and they didn't jump on it. Nothing against Luchanko.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I always thought that he'd be a good pick. It's just that PHI appeared to be gifted a guy at #12 that no one thought would be there, and they didn't jump on it. Nothing against Luchanko.

I guess that’s the point. They stuck with their choice and trusted their scouts.

Flyers were heavy on criticized for it, and Luchanko hasn’t even made some top 50 prospect lists by the “scouting community.”

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Coronato and Honzek had very strong first pre-season games. Coronato definitely looks like he wants a full season in the NHL this year, and while Honzek will be an AHLer this year if he keeps up his play from last night he is definitely well ahead of where he should be in his progression.

On defense, Brzustewicz had an extremely strong showing. Think he’ll make it hard to cut him when it eventually happens, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as a NHLer by the end of this year or starting next. Poirier looks dangerous, and may make a push to make the team. Grushnikov is a monster, I see why the Flames seeked him out in a trade. Parekh played a much more NHL style and still managed to show flashes of his dynamic play.

Wolf was Wolf. 1 goal allowed on 34 shots.

Alas it’s only been one game, but those young players definitely made strong impressions for the Flames.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
And i agree, it´s just ridiculous you are making statements from scrimmage after his flight to NA. And he dominated prospects 2 years ago why he wouldn´t dominate prospects after 2 productive pro seasons in NA? This whole Mateychuk better than Jiricek seems more like wishful thinking of CBJ fans on this forum so far. Mateychuk didn´t impress me much in AHL. Lets see his first game tonight, then make assumptions ok?
Another kiss of death?
:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad