News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Two solid 6 proven scoring wingers that have been badly needed on the top 6 especially for Drai = "but me worry about their size'
I uhh guess that short edit is supposed to be some sort of gotcha moment.

The full context would be helpful with likely normal dialogue to discuss pros and cons of player acquisition. Coming off a marathon game 7 Cup Final run, it's probably worth discussing durability, if not size questions, about Skinner and Arvy (past concussion and recent back issues respectively). Should be asking questions and actively discussing organizational philosophies and priorities especially with finite free agent bucks to spend.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I understand the concern about Josh Brown. But he played 15 minutes a night last year on a terrible Phoenix team and ended up a plus player at the end of the year.

He’s not going to be the make or break cog on the blueline this year. That’s going to be Emberson and if he can handle being a top 4 guy all season.

I think the make or break cog on D will be Nurse. If he plays like last season that entire 2nd pair could crater given Emberson has a mere 30 games under his belt.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think the make or break cog on D will be Nurse. If he plays like last season that entire 2nd pair could crater given Emberson has a mere 30 games under his belt.
I'm actually pretty comfortable with Nurse who's an annual double figure goals, thirty point, and 20 minute defender while doled out heavily weighted d-zone deployment. Hope that Knoblauch can manage some of his deployment to mitigate over play in which the poor, impulsive decisions is magnified and costly. I don't see a 2RD roster option that can hang in these big, critical minute ice-time deployment. Hope that doesn't stretch Bouchard into more minutes defending critical situations.

Reactions: Spawn

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'm actually pretty comfortable with Nurse who's an annual double figure goals, thirty point, and 20 minute defender while doled out heavily weighted d-zone deployment. Hope that Knoblauch can manage some of his deployment to mitigate over play in which the poor, impulsive decisions is magnified and costly. I don't see a 2RD roster option that can hang in these big, critical minute ice-time deployment. Hope that doesn't stretch Bouchard into more minutes defending critical situations.

Problem with Nurse is that he’s serviceable in the regular season but once the games matter, his game craters. Been like this for awhile. Not sure we will have an answer until the season is over for better or worse.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I completely disagree, the whole concept of a bad 3rd pairing being ok, doesn't really exist in the modern NHL teams have identified that as a key area to create gaps on lesser teams and strongly contribute to carrying less talented 3rd/4th line players to above average results.

The exceptions to that are the once in a blue moon 2 HOF d-man who play the same side for 25+ mins a night like Pronger and S. Niedermayer. What we have on our right side is Bouchard who played a career high 23 mins last season and then if J. Brown is playing 15 mins that means Emberson or Stecher is playing 22-ish mins!? Yuck! It's also worse cause Bouchard is an OFD who you clearly want to deploy in offensive situations which means less defensive zone draws which puts our suspect RHD in tougher situations more often.

Last season:
Desharnais in 78 games: 1g 10a +3 playing 15:44 per game on one of the best teams in the league

Brown in 51 games: 3G 7a +2 playing 14:45 per game on one of the worst teams in the league.

Brown needs to cover about one extra shift per game to make up for the loss of Desharnais.

They’re both bottom pair do nothing plugs. They aren’t difference makers either way. Browns been a bottom pair plug for nearly 300 games in the league. Kulak will be good enough to cover him just like he was good enough to cover Desharnais.

Emberson is the big question on whether he can repeat his 30 games from last season with an expanded role and expectations.

22 minutes a night, a plus player and 30+ points isn’t going to crater your 2nd pair.

Nurse is far from good value on his contract, but he’s not going to crater your second pair on his own.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Problem with Nurse is that he’s serviceable in the regular season but once the games matter, his game craters. Been like this for awhile. Not sure we will have an answer until the season is over for better or worse.
We'll see for sure. They've needed a bonafide 2RD upgrade for years. Someone with a strong structured defending ability that can mitigate the impulsivity moments in Nurse. Stronger, consistent team defending structure can help too.

There's ideally somewhere between Nurse's Jets playoff series beast mode and this last couple of seasons. He's overplayed with heavy defensive zone and critical situational play. Better deployment use can help and the long overdue 2RD upgrade also.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
22 minutes a night, a plus player and 30+ points isn’t going to crater your 2nd pair.

Nurse is far from good value on his contract, but he’s not going to crater your second pair on his own.

I disagree. Nurse has a pretty raw player as his partner now, something he’s not had before.

If Nurse goes into “do it all myself” mode he leaves Emberson hanging. If Emberson struggles that’s the impetus for Nurse to hit that mode.

In other words, Nurse needs to be a strong steady Eddie for Emberson back there no matter how Emberson plays. Think how Ekholm helped steady Bouchard’s game.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I disagree. Nurse has a pretty raw player as his partner now, something he’s not had before.

If Nurse goes into “do it all myself” mode he leaves Emberson hanging. If Emberson struggles that’s the impetus for Nurse to hit that mode.

In other words, Nurse needs to be a strong steady Eddie for Emberson back there no matter how Emberson plays. Think how Ekholm helped steady Bouchard’s game.
Ethan Bear?

He was more raw than Emberson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad