News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He's actually so bad that I don't even think he would be able to play on the DOD Oilers defense. No way in hell should he even be a regular on a team that's contending for a cup.
I think most of us agree with this but it would appear that management and the coaches feel differently, at least until there's an upgrade to be had.
Just more size fetish stuff I would imagine.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I was happy to defend the Brown signing when it looked like he was going to be a #8/Black Ace with a contract that no other team was going to claim as insurance, but 1) he's been so horrific there is no value in him ever being on the big club 2) we're keeping him up (at least right now) over someone who can actually play hockey in Ben Gleason. Really not understanding where Bowman/Jackson are getting the idea this guy is a must-have on a contender.

I'm with you. I was fine with singing him assuming he would have to earn a spot, not just have it no matter his performance. Guys with his profile are good to have around even if they are spot players at best in the NHL.

Random management favourites are problems. The random, shit player that management elevates for some reason are almost impossible to get out of the lineup. It usually takes extended shitty play with multiple games effectively lost due to the player exclusively to get them gone. Just a painful, ridiculous process when it occurs.

I'm still holding out hope that this is an exercise in trying to make it work before the season. With the thought being that if he can find any sort of game that there is value in having a big Kulak-Brown defensive bottom pair a la Kulak - Vinny last year. But if he doesn't have it - I would hope that coaching and management are smart enough to call a spade a spade.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He really can't be, I love Bouchard, but he can't play 30 mins a night because Brown can barely be trusted with 10.
I understand the concern about Josh Brown. But he played 15 minutes a night last year on a terrible Phoenix team and ended up a plus player at the end of the year.

He’s not going to be the make or break cog on the blueline this year. That’s going to be Emberson and if he can handle being a top 4 guy all season.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
The only reason why Josh Brown is on the team is to fight. Unless they are planning on playing Podkolzin and Lavoie, this team is really soft.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'm still holding out hope that this is an exercise in trying to make it work before the season. With the thought being that if he can find any sort of game that there is value in having a big Kulak-Brown defensive bottom pair a la Kulak - Vinny last year. But if he doesn't have it - I would hope that coaching and management are smart enough to call a spade a spade.
Yup.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Brown is the #6 guys so get ready for it. Man is HFOil going to be a pleasure to read when that inevitably happens lol

While you were watching your beautiful Lions, some of us had to endure the entity that is known as JBrown. Maybe they gave him a contract for 3 years so people wouldn’t complain about Nurse.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I think most of us agree with this but it would appear that management and the coaches feel differently, at least until there's an upgrade to be had.

I don't mind size kind of players, but having size and lack of hockey IQ is just very reminiscent of the past Oilers playing plugs like JF Jacques.

Heck, I don't even like Joel Edmundson since there's love for his 'size and grit' play style, but AT LEAST, there's a small defensive ability there. Brown has size and shit for hockey brains lol.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Unfortunately since they gave him a 3 year deal, they will probably play JBrown for the foreseeable future.
Oil management: Fans spent most of the season shitting on Connor Brown. Let's get another guy with a Brown last name to continue the shitting (probably)

giphy.gif

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My guess is JJ and Bowman are exploring RD options right now and JJ probably isn’t too happy with whoever recommended Brown.

I could see them signing Shattenkirk, Schultz or Barrie.

I could also see them trading for a guy like Rutta, who isn’t great, but he’s better than Brown.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
My guess is JJ and Bowman are exploring RD options right now and JJ probably isn’t too happy with whoever recommended Brown.

I could also see them trading for a guy like Rutta, who isn’t great, but he’s better than Brown.

My bet's on Chris Cichocki aka 'aRE We WoRRiED aBOuT tHE sIZe Up FRonT iF wE ADd tHOsE TwO GuYS.'

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Who would of recommended Brown? Lol

I can’t see an analytical person recommending him.

As much as a lot of guys have ties to Knoblauch, he doesn’t really strike me as tge type to go and get players for him.

Maybe it was Rychel lol. Maybe that is why he got promoted. I assume with Jackson being an agent he probably has some ties to some clients as well.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I haven't seen any size fetish bias with Knoblauch and Coffey. They have actually shown the most versatility of any Oilers coaching group in recent memory to change and tweet defensive deployment including seismic risky moves in deep playoff competition. Coffey's philosophy is to encourage his d-men to make plays so giving 3RD runway to a big, physical defensive zone start guy over skill would seem to go against his philosophy. Knoblauch speaks of information based analytic supported decision making at times in his interviews.

Personally think this coaching staff has earned some runway through pre-season coming out of an off-season with deep change to its d-corp. This team rode a 94% PK as a critical, not likely repeatable event so playing through this key need with rotating personnel in pre-season is a reasonable focus. This team's coaching staff also have substantively more information and deeper statistical insight than we do. Let the process play out.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

As much as a lot of guys have ties to Knoblauch, he doesn’t really strike me as tge type to go and get players for him.

Maybe it was Rychel lol. Maybe that is why he got promoted. I assume with Jackson being an agent he probably has some ties to some clients as well.
It was one of their pro scouts for sure.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Some people see redeeming qualities in players that others miss that result in the player performing well due to a different role and a different environment. For example, if you were to tell me in February 2015 that Justin Schultz was going to play in the Top 4 on the Stanley Cup Champion that season I would have told you that you were f***ing crazy. Somewhat of a common occurrence even of a guy getting buried on a shitty team moving to a better team and immediately performing under more comfortable/controlled circumstances.

All it probably took was someone internally saying something like "if we can work with him and just get him to calm down with the puck a bit I think there is a player there." They might not even be wrong, but it certainly isn't showing itself now.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

JJ would have to be mad at himself. As active GM of a noted information based organization he signed off on a day 1 3 year deal on Brown. We saw Parkatti embedded at the centre of the Oilers amateur draft so we can be assured this function was utilized to support free agent decision making.

The NHL defense roster and depth chart they envisioned on July 1 changed massively after August 12. This roster building process is now substantively changed as a result including test driving a regular job for Brown as a 3RD, PK, heavily weighted d-zone option.

Legitimate question whether they fill a big hole at 2RD with an interim veteran placeholder like Shattenkirk (guy I've lobbied for) or figure out a platoon system with choosing among 3 likely third pairing, 7 & 8th d-men. There's been a lot of confidence expressed the Oilers could run light on defense until the trade deadline. We all watch as JJ, Bowman, Knoblauch and coaching staff work to figure out their puzzle pieces with eye test and more information than we have available. Early adversity and some questions.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Two solid 6 proven scoring wingers that have been badly needed on the top 6 especially for Drai = "but me worry about their size'
This is hilarious. I’d love to know who asked “are you?”

You can see him trying to figure out what answer he thinks they want to hear and then he spits what sounded like him trying to say yes and no at the same time.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I understand the concern about Josh Brown. But he played 15 minutes a night last year on a terrible Phoenix team and ended up a plus player at the end of the year.

He’s not going to be the make or break cog on the blueline this year. That’s going to be Emberson and if he can handle being a top 4 guy all season.
I completely disagree, the whole concept of a bad 3rd pairing being ok, doesn't really exist in the modern NHL teams have identified that as a key area to create gaps on lesser teams and strongly contribute to carrying less talented 3rd/4th line players to above average results.

The exceptions to that are the once in a blue moon 2 HOF d-man who play the same side for 25+ mins a night like Pronger and S. Niedermayer. What we have on our right side is Bouchard who played a career high 23 mins last season and then if J. Brown is playing 15 mins that means Emberson or Stecher is playing 22-ish mins!? Yuck! It's also worse cause Bouchard is an OFD who you clearly want to deploy in offensive situations which means less defensive zone draws which puts our suspect RHD in tougher situations more often.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad