News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I'd be careful with Swayman until I see him play behind a team that isn't as defensively sound as Boston. If Korpisalo ends up looking like a Vezina candidate to start the season then how much of Swayman's success is due to Boston's system?
Swayman has slightly more of a sample size than Broberg. Id be very cautious. He hasn't shown he can handle a starters load, much like Campbell when we signed him.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
This board doesn't want to hear it but the Oilers didn't give him a 3 year contract because they saw him as a Bakersfield option.

He's going to get a real run in Edmonton whether he deserves that or not.
Exactly. We don't have to like it, but we should understand why he's still here.

The coaches aren't stupid, they see the same things.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So trying to figure out how to maximize the LTIR space if we need it while still being able to accrue cap space when we don't. I think I've solved it.

Assuming these are the current locks ordered by cap hit:
Forward - McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Kane, Nugent-Hopkins, Arvidsson, Henrique, Skinner, Janmark, Perry, Brown, Podkolzin, Ryan.

Defense - Nurse, Ekholm, Bouchard, Kulak, Brown, Emberson, Stecher

Goalie - Skinner, Pickard

This is $81,326,219, plus we have 6,566,667 in dead cap from bonus overages and buyouts, totalling 87,054,167 (i.e 955,833 in cap space).

Jarventie open the season on SOIR which eats up another $107,114 leaving $838,719 of cap space.

So take the gamble and waive Lovoie like everyone expects and hope he clears (along with Pederson, Caggiula, Hamblin, and Gleason), demote Philp (at least temporarily) then sign Dermott for $838,719. This sets the cap number at exactly $88M allowing them to LTIR Kane immdiately, then they can demote and promote as they see fit (looking at you Brown, man does he look bad at moving a puck) knowing that anytime they can get below $88M they can accrue.

Any other scenario that activates LTIR will result in them only accrueing when getting to an even lower number than $88M.

I don't see how the Oil going into the season with only 12 healthy forwards. Lavoie, or possibly Philp or a waiver claim will round out the group.

Even if decisions have already been made on defence, I suspect the Oil will stay in a holding pattern right up to the last day for waivers. No point in showing their hand before that. Dermott is likely the plan B if they miss out on everyone due to being towards the back of claim priority.

We also don't know what's up with Pickard and if he's out to start the year. If he is, they might start the year with Kane on LTIR for the first week or two while he gets healthy. That would also let them run a 23 man roster. I will laugh if they claim Campbell to be the backup.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
As much Josh Brown's play this preseason has warranted being waived and sent to the AHL, I don't see it happening any time soon. Oilers management aren't going to admit they made a mistake this soon. Hopefully he only gets spot duty as the #7 against teams where they feel they need extra toughness. One thing is for sure, he will not see big minutes when he is in the line up. I see him as a 10-14 min a night tops option. Hopefully they don't get too caved in when he's out there. I see big minutes for Bouch, Ek, and Nurse whenever Brown is in the line up.

He got outplayed by Stetcher, Gleason, Dermot, and Dineen, and probably others too. I hope they sign Dermot, for insurance, and that he and Gleason make it through waivers, just to give the team options, if, and probably when Brown struggles and/or injuries occur.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This board doesn't want to hear it but the Oilers didn't give him a 3 year contract because they saw him as a Bakersfield option.

No one's biting on Josh Brown at $1 million x 3 years. This is a waiver wire poison pill deal to have flexibility to move Brown up and down as and if required. Team gets big, physical depth d-type. Player gets the security of good money and unlikely term he'd get otherwise.

Stetcher's deal as well with a x2 gives them additional NHL depth with likely flexibility to mitigate against waiver claims with a second year payment attached.

Oil essentially did their trade deadline shopping early for end of roster depth defensemen while saving their draft and trade assets for a true upgrade (likely 2RD) with secondary draft collateral available for retention/double retention.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I suspect he was signed to be #8, behind the 6 we had mid-summer and Stecher, but the Holloway/Broberg ordeal is going to make him #6/7, alternating with Stecher. If they actually signed this pylon to be our every day #6, it has damaged my opinion of our leadership.

A 3 year contract could very well have been the price of getting an "NHL veteran" to ride the bus with the Bakersfield boys for 3 years, ha ha.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I suspect he was signed to be #8, behind the 6 we had mid-summer and Stecher, but the Holloway/Broberg ordeal is going to make him #6/7, alternating with Stecher. If they actually signed this pylon to be our every day #6, it has damaged my opinion of our leadership.

A 3 year contract could very well have been the price of getting an "NHL veteran" to ride the bus with the Bakersfield boys for 3 years, ha ha.

Or, much more likely, Edmonton's management looked at Desharnais moving on and simply got caught in the age old trap of thinking it's better for your #6 to be huge instead of skilled.

Josh Brown and his agent must think they struck gold. Probably would have been lucky to even get a one way NHL offer from anyone else.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
But then you're not acquiring and cap space for the deadline with his plan
Yes you are if you demote players afterwards.

All this triggers is setting the ACSL at exactly the cap the moment you assign him to LTIR. If the team gets the cap number below $88M at any point in the season (including Kane's hit) they accrue that amount. This essentially would give them the flexibility to deal with any injury in the season as just a regular IR assignment until they either activate Kane or make a trade essentially banishing him until the playoffs.

If they put Kane onto LTIR at any other point when their cap number is different (say 87.6M). Then they'd only accrue space when below $87.6. That's why its almost most advantageous to get as close to the real cap number before moving a player from IR to LTIR.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't see how the Oil going into the season with only 12 healthy forwards. Lavoie, or possibly Philp or a waiver claim will round out the group.

Even if decisions have already been made on defence, I suspect the Oil will stay in a holding pattern right up to the last day for waivers. No point in showing their hand before that. Dermott is likely the plan B if they miss out on everyone due to being towards the back of claim priority.

We also don't know what's up with Pickard and if he's out to start the year. If he is, they might start the year with Kane on LTIR for the first week or two while he gets healthy. That would also let them run a 23 man roster. I will laugh if they claim Campbell to be the backup.
The intent with this is the one day plan where you set your cap numbers. They can easily move guys around after to make the team they actually want as the final roster.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Exactly. The contract makes no sense at all for what Brown is as a player so it was completely designed to be easy to move through waivers at any time as no one would grab him for a 3 year NHL commitment.

Oilmageddon

Oct 7, 2009
Would be nice if they would disclose the actual cuts instead of playing guessing games. Oh well
EDMONTON, AB – The Edmonton Oilers reduced their training camp roster by six players on Tuesday with the following transactions:

Phil Kemp (D) – placed on waivers for purpose of assignment to Bakersfield (AHL)
Ben Gleason (D) – placed on waivers for purpose of assignment to Bakersfield (AHL)
Collin Delia (G) – placed on waivers for purpose of assignment to Bakersfield (AHL)
Lane Pederson (F) – placed on waivers for purpose of assignment to Bakersfield (AHL)
James Hamblin (F) – loaned to Bakersfield (AHL)
Beau Akey (D) – loaned to Barrie (OHL)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
EDMONTON, AB – The Edmonton Oilers reduced their training camp roster by six players on Tuesday with the following transactions:

Phil Kemp (D) – placed on waivers for purpose of assignment to Bakersfield (AHL)
Ben Gleason (D) – placed on waivers for purpose of assignment to Bakersfield (AHL)
Collin Delia (G) – placed on waivers for purpose of assignment to Bakersfield (AHL)
Lane Pederson (F) – placed on waivers for purpose of assignment to Bakersfield (AHL)
James Hamblin (F) – loaned to Bakersfield (AHL)
Beau Akey (D) – loaned to Barrie (OHL)
Delia, Pedersen, Hamblin and Akey make perfect sense. Tough for Kemp, but I think we might see him this year. Gleason is rough, I don't really understand this after last night's game.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Or, much more likely, Edmonton's management looked at Desharnais moving on and simply got caught in the age old trap of thinking it's better for your #6 to be huge instead of skilled.

Josh Brown and his agent must think they struck gold. Probably would have been lucky to even get a one way NHL offer from anyone else.
That's possible too. I'm just hoping that it wasn't this, because it really makes me question them. Josh Brown is a fine guy to have in your organization. I just don't want him seeing NHL action unless we have 2 or 3 injuries.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Not what I would ice but the opening night roster is going to be:

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Podkolzin - Ryan - Perry
Lavoie

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Emberson
Kulak - Brown
Stetcher

Skinner
Pickard

Honestly not sure if any of the guys trying to make the team out of camp were even given a real serious look other than Lavoie and even that is mostly just because they don't want to waive him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Bingo. Brown is the direct Vinny replacement, the size, grit etc. so he's going to get the nod at least to start the season. I think it's a lock tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad