News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I would do that trade. Skinner won't cost 2.6M in 2 years. He's going to want 6M+ on his next deal and he's not worth that. Swayman is so much better.

100% would do that trade too. Appreciate Skinner’s last playoffs but I feel like he is a goalie that will always be on the edge of a confidence collapse. Just too risky to go into every playoffs rolling the dice if he will be able to keep it together.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Time to put our top six in together. Try Philp, Pod and Ryan as 4th and Lavoie with Henrique. Need to see Nurse- Emberson. If Nurse is ready Dermott and Gleason are done.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I would do that trade. Skinner won't cost 2.6M in 2 years. He's going to want 6M+ on his next deal and he's not worth that. Swayman is so much better.

I don't know how you fit Sway in even with Kane included... we'd have to move Kulak out as well (either to BOS or in another trade) to even ice a 22-man roster and then you're forced to dress two of Dermott/Stecher/Brown/Gleason when in an ideal world only one of them cracks the team as a #6.

While Swayman would be a great final piece it just doesn't work given our cap structure.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Maybe try Dermott on the right with Kulak. Play Ekholm and Bouchard behind the Drai line to get them going

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
100% would do that trade too. Appreciate Skinner’s last playoffs but I feel like he is a goalie that will always be on the edge of a confidence collapse. Just too risky to go into every playoffs rolling the dice if he will be able to keep it together.
I'm not sure if we can put together a nice enough package to get Swayman out of beantown, and if the rumored ask is 8.5M, that's steeeeeep with our other contracts coming due. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it - I'm saying - ouch. Ha ha.

Skinner, Kane, plus futures, and I don't think we can trade futures for Swayman and still have good enough futures to use as trade bait to upgrade RD, which we still have to do. It just doesn't feel plausible.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'd be careful with Swayman until I see him play behind a team that isn't as defensively sound as Boston. If Korpisalo ends up looking like a Vezina candidate to start the season then how much of Swayman's success is due to Boston's system?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'd be careful with Swayman until I see him play behind a team that isn't as defensively sound as Boston. If Korpisalo ends up looking like a Vezina candidate to start the season then how much of Swayman's success is due to Boston's system?

Will be interesting to see Ullmark on the sens lol

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
#Oilers hitting the ice at the DCA this morningBy my eye, no sign of Hamblin, Pederson, Gleason or Lavoie… Philp is out there skating as is Ryan

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Boston isn't that defensively sound actually. They're average to below average in shots, chances, and expected goals against. They're also not especially impressive offensively yet the Bruins remain high in the standings despite this because of elite goaltending.

Swayman's ability to be 'the guy' for 60+ games a year instead of 40 is definitely a question mark but Boston needs Swayman a lot more than Swayman needs Boston.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
So trying to figure out how to maximize the LTIR space if we need it while still being able to accrue cap space when we don't. I think I've solved it.

Assuming these are the current locks ordered by cap hit:
Forward - McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Kane, Nugent-Hopkins, Arvidsson, Henrique, Skinner, Janmark, Perry, Brown, Podkolzin, Ryan.

Defense - Nurse, Ekholm, Bouchard, Kulak, Brown, Emberson, Stecher

Goalie - Skinner, Pickard

This is $81,326,219, plus we have 6,566,667 in dead cap from bonus overages and buyouts, totalling 87,054,167 (i.e 955,833 in cap space).

Jarventie open the season on SOIR which eats up another $107,114 leaving $838,719 of cap space.

So take the gamble and waive Lovoie like everyone expects and hope he clears (along with Pederson, Caggiula, Hamblin, and Gleason), demote Philp (at least temporarily) then sign Dermott for $838,719. This sets the cap number at exactly $88M allowing them to LTIR Kane immdiately, then they can demote and promote as they see fit (looking at you Brown, man does he look bad at moving a puck) knowing that anytime they can get below $88M they can accrue.

Any other scenario that activates LTIR will result in them only accrueing when getting to an even lower number than $88M.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm not sure if we can put together a nice enough package to get Swayman out of beantown, and if the rumored ask is 8.5M, that's steeeeeep with our other contracts coming due. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it - I'm saying - ouch. Ha ha.

Skinner, Kane, plus futures, and I don't think we can trade futures for Swayman and still have good enough futures to use as trade bait to upgrade RD, which we still have to do. It just doesn't feel plausible.

Agree, would be very difficult to pull off. And would close the door probably on D upgrades this year. Would have to gamble Swayman is close to all the insulation we need for this D group. Actually think he might be, but it's a big bet.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This board doesn't want to hear it but the Oilers didn't give him a 3 year contract because they saw him as a Bakersfield option.

He's going to get a real run in Edmonton whether he deserves that or not.
We know that, but it doesn't make it any less stupid, he can spend 3 years in Bako, he'll be fine protecting the kids on the farm, plus it's California anyway.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
This board doesn't want to hear it but the Oilers didn't give him a 3 year contract because they saw him as a Bakersfield option.

He's going to get a real run in Edmonton whether he deserves that or not.
dislike-boo.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad