News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Hard to know if its Bob just being Bob.

While Brown brings a certain skill set I can’t see how he’s better than Emberson or Stetcher personally. Gleason is probably a better #7 as well.

The team did give Brown 3 years though which is bizarre…

Guess we will see. Hopefully they just ice the best team. Shouldn’t be hard for Emberson and Stetcher to prove they are better if they are.
He got 3 years so he can be waived and no one can claim him as hes still good depth for the NHL team.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
It'll be interesting to see what the team does with Gleason if he has another strong camp. He really should have made the team out of camp last year but he lost out to a numbers game. He led the team in icetime tonight by a full 3 minutes. Does anyone know if he's ever played the right side?

He's 26 years old now and I hope they actually give him a shot if he earns it again in camp.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It'll be interesting to see what the team does with Gleason if he has another strong camp. He really should have made the team out of camp last year but he lost out to a numbers game. He led the team in icetime tonight by a full 3 minutes. Does anyone know if he's ever played the right side?

He's 26 years old now and I hope they actually give him a shot if he earns it again in camp.
Sort of the same deal with Kesselring, different type of player but he outperformed players who ended up ahead of him on the depth chart. Politics of hockey.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

He could also replace Kulak for a fraction of the price.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Oh wow shocking, Jesse getting goals in the preseason. Where have I seen that before.

1727067751648.png

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This is a "told you so" for another day... spoiler: I said Puljujarvi would suck for the Hurricanes but Jesse would bounce back for the next team after Carolina who showed him a little tender, love and care.
He has the hockey iq of a turnip. Both hat tricks were in games against AHL players and when his team was getting blown out. Come on now. What, you think he's going to do this against actual NHL rosters? Don't hold your breath. lol

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Well, he has a good shot at being the first call up on the left side. We'll see where Nurse is to start the year too.

It's basically between Dineen and Gleason for that #4 LD and while Dineen looked good on the OT winner, Gleason is safer, more consistent, and more reliable IMO.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He was a bottom pairing limited use defender on a bad team and looked bad.

Brown is a limited use bottom pairing defender who played against bottom competition and did bad at it.
Relative stats basically show who is doing their role well and who is not. Brown was doing bad at playing as a bottom pairing defender. That’s what it shows. He was a worse bottom pairing defender than a guy like Kesselring or Stetcher was a second pair guy. You can say I’m ignoring context but where is l it really any context that shows he isn’t a bad player outside of your feelings? I haven’t seen a single person who has actually watched him play in any real sample size not say he sucks.
You know a lot of people who have watched a bottom pairing Dman on the Arizona Coyotes enough times to formulate a real opinion on him? Interesting

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You know a lot of people who have watched a bottom pairing Dman on the Arizona Coyotes enough times to formulate a real opinion on him? Interesting
I’ve looked into people’s comments about him from his time in Arizona and Ottawa, they also seem to jive with what the analytics community are saying about him.
Haven’t seen or heard anyone say he is secretly good or anything. Just varying levels of “he sucks” or “worst defender we have ever had”.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Nobody is mentioning it so I will. Sam O'Reilly is looking pretty good so far. Plays both ends of the ice, has a 200 foot game while possessing some goal scoring hands.

It will be really nice to see him progress this year. I'm a big fan of drafting innate hockey sense, especially since there didn't seem to be any weaknesses in his overall athleticism (save for maybe skating). Praying for our Bergeron lol.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
He has the hockey iq of a turnip. Both hat tricks were in games against AHL players and when his team was getting blown out. Come on now. What, you think he's going to do this against actual NHL rosters? Don't hold your breath. lol
Yakupov also shared that turnip. I wonder who'd win the biggest turnip award between the two? lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad