News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Just out of curiosity how much do you think the city brings in on property and business property taxes on Stantec Marriot/Legends,Edmonton Tower and all the businesses around the Ice District they also have tax levies on tickets at Rogers to re-coup the money the city put in . In the long run the City Return is way more than what they ever put into Rogers
Properly evaluated one has to look at how much development would occur nonetheless and how much appreciation/depreciation etc, as well as the draw away from other areas. What we have in the DT now is that the increase in CRL is around Arena District but the whole area of 104st and other areas, the development came before, and was going to anyways. Same with the Grant McEwan expansions. Those were happening anyway. An unfortunate aspect is somehow the Arena District has taken any impetus out of the Arts district. All of the Citadel, Art Gallery and the new Museum, Revamped Library are struggling big time. Hardly anybody going there. As well the Marriot is not just seen as a value plus, its drawn much of any same business away from the former Sutton hotel which is now a Sandman and doing awful and the Westin that is also caving. Its an absolute case that the Marriot just upseated what were some of the former busier hotels. The overall demand in DT hotel rooms hasn't really changed much.

As many thought its just a matter of moving shell games. The impetus is now at Arena District and its not in the former areas that used to be the DT draw points. For instance Churchill square is now derelict, the Library is, the whole area has been adversely impacted. Its truly sad how underused and empty that whole area has become.

So that the answers are very complex.

Katz also made a killing leasing out Edmonton Tower to the city to rehouse their offices and then sold it to an Alberta Govt consortium at a reported 200M profit.

Meanwhile the city is on the hook for a 100M levy that was supposed to being paid by increasing parking demand. Parking revenue has vastly underperformed projections. The City sees some increase in CRL levy in the district and overall but in general Edmonton real estate and land prices have exploded all over. Moreso OUTSIDE the DT.

The city also on the hook for massive security and policing costs to keep the shiny arena district looking shiny and safe. This has even drawn resources from other areas. Much to the worsening of those other areas.

Reactions: rboomercat90

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I am all for piling on Woodcroft (I thought he was bad) but 97 has never played with AHL players. The core group always played together.

I did get tired of watching players like Lavoie get a shot with guys like Malone and Esposito and then people being shocked when he showed nothing.

Its maybe a little better based on lines but guess we will see. I hope KK puts younger players in better spots.
Oh, there have been AHL players slotted with 97 in preseason and from the previous coaches you'd hear things like "I wanted to see what he'd show". Or you'd have players who are never going to play together, playing together. I hated that so much!!

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Massive upgrade in linemate quality for Drai as expected, curious to see what he does with it during the season after watching him spend a decade getting stuck with the roster refuse when not playing with Mcdavid.
I'm hoping it will finally put to bed the narrative that he needs McDavid to produce, something that I thought would have died after he won the trifecta of awards in 2020. But I'm sure the plebs on the mains will find another way to shift the goalposts.

Reactions: Tarus

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Im still confused about that Perry signing
Even if he only plays 19 games Perry brings leadership and experience which translates to a great veteran presence and voice in the locker room. He can hold players accountable and doesn’t necessarily need to be coached. He’s a guy that has won it all and on his affordable contract is worth every penny. Sure he’s lost a step but the skills and knowledge are all still there.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Im still confused about that Perry signing

I don’t really hate having Perry as a #12/13 (who I thought was decent in the regular season but I personally wouldn’t of re-signed him after those playoffs). If he was being rotated in/out with Lavoie depending on how they were playing I wouldn’t really have a problem with it. I really just don’t like both Ryan and Perry in the line up. Too old and too slow by both being there. Will see what happens. Its the fourth line so its not a big deal. I would just like some more youth personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad