News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes, **New Pole Added**

Who makes the team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
No surprise with the roster. The older vets were always going to be given the opportunity to show they still have it in the regular season. Looking forward to having real hockey back Wednesday.

Reactions: oilers'72

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I suspect he'll be up sooner than that, but yes letting him start in the AHL is probably the smarter choice.
We'll see I guess. Outside of injury there's no reason to rush to turn him into an 8-12 minute NHLer possibly also with press box time. He's missed a full year of hockey. Refine all elements of his game and approach with ice-time that includes meaningful situational play.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We'll see I guess. Outside of injury there's no reason to rush to turn him into an 8-12 minute NHLer possibly also with press box time. He's missed a full year of hockey. Refine all elements of his game and approach with ice-time that includes meaningful situational play.
I guess, he projects as a 4C/bottom-6 player in general, so I doubt he needs "a bunch" of extra AHL time to develop. Plus, it's not like he barely stuck around, he was within a eyelash of making this team, he'll be back soon.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I guess, he projects as a 4C/bottom-6 player in general, so I doubt he needs "a bunch" of extra AHL time to develop. Plus, it's not like he barely stuck around, he was within a eyelash of making this team, he'll be back soon.
Just getting him consistent quality games minutes will have value. Great camp to exceed expectation but losing a full season of player there's still elements that can be worked on and refined within game situations. And to explore the guy's ceiling. If he can show some productions and touch at the other end of the ice maybe there's another centre versatility that unlocks some future situations at 3C that enables Henrique to move to a shooter at wing.

I'd like them to explore the outer limits of the player. Think there's value in that. Appreciate your point that the recall could be a shorter timeline. We'll see.

Reactions: oilers'72

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The Savoie bonus stuff he's mentioning is only relevant if they're on LTIR and they won't be.

I highly doubt we see Philp back for Game 1. Carrying a 13th forward eats about $2.5M of accrued space for the deadline.

They're far better off getting him minutes in Bako and then calling him up later in the season when it won't affect the cap.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Savoie bonus stuff he's mentioning is only relevant if they're on LTIR and they won't be.

I highly doubt we see Philp back for Game 1. Carrying a 13th forward eats about $2.5M of accrued space for the deadline.

They're far better off getting him minutes in Bako and then calling him up later in the season when it won't affect the cap.
I agree. Imo the plan is that Philp is waiting in Bako for one of the overaged forwards to get dinged up or to look bad. Or heck, even a question mark like Podkolzin could get on the coach's bad side pretty quick.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Either way when you’re at 12 forwards someone’s coming up within a couple weeks most likely regardless.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I actually like that the team is fully commited to an actual f***ing salary cap strategy (in this case they want to acrue space for the deadline) and not swaying from it just to throw a player like Philp a few minutes every 3rd game.

It just felt like in the past under the past two GMs they just did whatever the f*** with the roster with the mentality of "we'll just figure out the cap, roster management stuff however". No real strategy for anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad