News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes, **New Pole Added**

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who makes the team

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I’d cut everyone playing tonight except the NHL guys and Savoie, Philp and Hamblin.
Yeah I've liked Savoie and Philp's game quite a bit. Important to remember Philp hasn't played hockey in over a year, and so him looking not too far off is a pretty good sign. I'll be interested in seeing him in 2-3 months.

Savoie hasn't played with much skill and I don't expect him to be a play driver with lesser players into NHL competition at this point. He should be a nice complementary piece later this season or next year.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Poor petrov looked broken.
Well he should've worked harder in camp. I'm not too worried. He's only had 1 year of pro experience.

I'm betting fans will now say he will bail to the KHL... after one year of pro experience lmfao

Doesn't look like it now.
How do you already know? He's had 1 year of pro experience. Is this how we judge prospects now? It's over after one pro season?

Reactions: oilers'72

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't think 6th rounders can ever be considered busts

They have an infinitesimally small chance at becoming a full time NHLer but I prefer how we made our late picks this year, getting guys with character who will never be scorers but may turn out to be solid role players. Petrov for me had such a small chance at latching on as a top 6 guy that it wasn't worth the pick. Pick your shit disturbers, your long shot big D men like Desharnais, your character guys late for a team as offensively stacked as the Oilers. McDavid and Co can handle the offence. Where we will need help is with cheap role players, checkers, depth D men and penalty killers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's actually amazing the Oilers haven't hit on almost any pick past round 3 since Esa Tikkanen in the 4th round of the 1983 draft.

That's like 40 years of worthless picks, lol.

The only one was Shawn Horcoff in 1998 (drafted 4th round).

Reactions: Duke74

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's actually amazing the Oilers haven't hit on almost any pick past round 3 since Esa Tikkanen in the 4th round of the 1983 draft.

For all his horrible management, and by god there was a lot, Chiarelli did hit on quite a few mid to late round D-picks.

Caleb Jones
Ethan Bear
John Marino
Vincent Desharnais
Michael Kesselring

Hell, there’s still an outside chance Phillip Kemp could get a look as a bottom pair guy.

Nothing to write home about, but miles better than anything before or since.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They have an infinitesimally small chance at becoming a full time NHLer but I prefer how we made our late picks this year, getting guys with character who will never be scorers but may turn out to be solid role players. Petrov for me had such a small chance at latching on as a top 6 guy that it wasn't worth the pick. Pick your shit disturbers, your long shot big D men like Desharnais, your character guys late for a team as offensively stacked as the Oilers. McDavid and Co can handle the offence. Where we will need help is with cheap role players, checkers, depth D men and penalty killers.
I don't get why you'd focus on role players that you can get for cheap on July 1st

Petrov for a 6th rounder was worth the shot. Offensive guys will always have value if they develop

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For all his horrible management, and by god there was a lot, Chiarelli did hit on quite a few mid to late round D-picks.

Caleb Jones
Ethan Bear
John Marino
Vincent Desharnais
Michael Kesselring

Hell, there’s still an outside chance Phillip Kemp could get a look as a bottom pair guy.

Nothing to write home about, but miles better than anything before or since.
This is probably why he is still employed in the NHL. Just because a guy isn't a fit to be a GM in the league, doesn't always mean he can't still bring value to a NHL organization.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I don’t think I would dispute your broader point….

But you’ve got an exceptionally high standard if Oiler great role players like Pisani and Captain Buchburger can’t make your list of “hits in round 4+”

And guys we traded who went on to be minor stars elsewhere, like: Satan, Lombardi

Or to a lesser extent, 20 goal scorers like Brodziak, Chimera, Oliver and Anatoli Semenov.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That’s how the oilers used to draft, and it never worked out.

Most role players in the NHL were skill players in junior and adapted to stay in the NHL

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Having watched a fair bit of Petrov in Juniors I'd have called him a character guy. Over the years he modified his game quite bit to fit his role and the players he played with.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Having watched a fair bit of Petrov in Juniors I'd have called him a character guy. Over the years he modified his game quite bit to fit his role and the players he played with.

I haven’t watched him much from Jr but from what I saw he always struck me as the complimentary scorer player. Watching him in Bako and his training camps he seems to be more a finesse player - something we just don’t need.

I disagree, not a waste. A good gamble given where we drafted him (6th round) and his offensive output in junior. Just didn’t pan out, most prospects never make it, this was a good bet at least.

I’d rather we bet on players that fit the 3/4 line mold than scorers that late. Late round scorers with no size rarely pan out and we need the complimentary players at cheap contracts to fill out our roster down the road.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That’s how the oilers used to draft, and it never worked out.

Most role players in the NHL were skill players in junior and adapted to stay in the NHL

Agree but he doesn’t seem to fit the mold of a player who will adapt. Just to my eyes anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad