GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You would think trading players to make the team better would be in a GM's job description, and every player should be available. Of course NMC and NTC do impact the freedom to make moves.

Last I checked the Leafs don't have the best center, the best winger, the best defenseman, nor the best goaltender in the league, therefore everyone should be available.
Can't disagree with you you ULF theres no one who's untouchable in the right deal.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It’s almost like he hasn’t had a chance to develop properly and after his huge amount of playoff games I’m not really surprised. Being yo-yo’d for 3 years and all 11 games. I feel like if we move Lily he’s going to flourish elsewhere with better support.
The real problem as I see it is that Liljegren just starts to get going and..... all of a sudden a big hit, an awkward hit, a dirty hit and he's lost to the team for 10 weeks and can't seem to get it back once recovered.

Maybe it's time he moved out of mom's basement

Reactions: DarkKnight

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
We know Marner is going to get 150,000 points this season because it's a contract year. Unless he plays like Nathan MacKinnon come playoffs, I am in the camp of not resigning him to be honest. We need to allocate our salary cap differently.
I can't believe Marner played so crummy when the other guys were so much better😏

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Nowhere close.

It's the same team as last year, just with OEL.
Nowhere close?

It's actually Brodie, Giordano and Klingberg out with Tanev, OEL and Hakanpaa in. If you don't think we have improved dramatically with the latter three playing the 40+ minutes the former three were giving us last year then you are just here to complain.

Throw in Stolarz over Samsonov, literally anyone over Samsonov is an upgrade.

We only lost Bertuzzi and you could argue that Pacioretty will give us the same production, not to mention Knies, Robertson and McMann covering the lost scoring too.

What team was better than this one in the Matthews era?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bejeezus

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm surprised they haven't made cuts yet. I suspect tomorrow might be the day before the last 2 games.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
the “run it back” criticism has really just become “they didn’t make the changes I wanted so I’ll pretend nothing has changed”

I look at this roster and say we’ve improved areas of need; added versatility and balance to the backend, got one of the most effective goaltenders in the league last year (Stolarz) to replace one of the least (Sammy) - just need to see how he responds to more games. Our forward group is probably better as well. We also changed our nearly the entire coaching staff which is one of the most potentially impactful changes you can possibly make.

There’s been lots of change.

I don’t think there much argument that this is the best roster we’ve had in the Matthews era
We took a step back last year with our roster IMO and this is a step forward from it, but still behind the COVID Canadian Division and TB 1&2 rosters IMO (ignoring TDL)

I don't trade Domi for either Bunting or Hyman, Muzzin was an upgrade on Tanev. The depth on D is good now.

If we improve a lot will depend on our youth and guys like Robertson, Knies, Lilj and McMann becoming impact players

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Through all the changes we’ve made to personnel along the way we’ve never really made the D a priority like we did this offseason, outside of acquiring Muzzin which could have been great if he could have stayed healthy, but he didn’t.
That's really not true. Defense was a priority from February 2019 to 2023. It was ignored last year until a misguided scramble at the deadline that made us worse, and then became a focus again this offseason. Even with the focus, it's still unlikely we see better defensive results than 2020-2023.
We also legitimately have young players ready to take on significant roles in the team.
This is really the main difference. A lot depends on them.
The “run it back” complaints are just a months long hissy fit by a portion of people here because the team didn’t agree the path to winning is trading away one of their best players (Marner)
This is true, except it's been years, not months.
What team was better than this one in the Matthews era?
2020-2023.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
That's really not true. Defense was a priority from February 2019 to 2023. It was ignored last year until a misguided scramble at the deadline that made us worse, and then became a focus again this offseason. Even with the focus, it's still unlikely we see better defensive results than 2020-2023.

This is really the main difference. A lot depends on them.

This is true, except it's been years, not months.

2020-2023.
How do you know our deadline acquisitions made us worse?

Didn't you just say a few weeks ago that you don't present your opinions as facts?

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How do you know our deadline acquisitions made us worse?
Didn't you just say a few weeks ago that you don't present your opinions as facts?
I don't see any opinion presented as fact. Not sure what you're talking about. I believe the additions made us worse because we had a worse record after, worse defensive results after, the additions didn't play very well as individuals, and we lost and had one of our worst underlying playoff performances in part due to glaring transition struggles that seemed to pop up when we overloaded with defensemen with poor transition ability.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
2020-2023.

Thanks for answering. First of all, the Leafs have been very good for four of five years now, so I agree the 2020-2023 teams are not easy to be improved upon.

Over that three year window, it was very much the core four leading the way for the forwards. They were supported by a supporting cast that included a 15-goal Hyman (in 55 games) and then Bunting, Mikheyev, Engvall, Kampf, Spezza, and Kerfoot. The defense was Reilly with Brodie, Giordano, a hobbled Muzzin for a while, Holl, Sandin and Liljegren. Our goaltending was a revolving door of Campbell, Andersen (splitting the Covid season with Campbell), Mrazek, Murray, and Samsonov.

With that window as the benchmark, I would say that three of the core four have hit their primes and improved every year, our next tier now includes Knies, Domi, McMann, Robertson, Kampf, Jarnkrok and Holmberg. Even with Tavares losing a step I would say our F this year get the edge over the the benchmark.

As for D. I won't pretend to forget that Brodie was pretty good and Giordano was useful. I would say they are more than replaced by Tanev and McCabe, Benoit gives us more than Muzzin was able to, and OEL and the more mature Liljegren over Sandin and Liljegren. Edge to this year, no?

It's almost amazing we have been as good as we have when you list our goalies over that period. Woll and Stolarz should the best tandem since Campbell/Andersen the Covid year. That has to be a draw or edge to this year.

We also have a new coach and those often come with improvement for good teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad