GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Pretty similar stats in 2023-2023 accordinf to naturalstattrick

2022-2023
Nylander with Matthews 5v5
504 mins 4.52 g/60, 1.66 ga/60

Marner with Matthews 5v5
539 mins 3.67 g/60, 2.22 ga/60
At 5v5 in 2022-2023, Matthews-Nylander together had an xGA/60 of 2.93. Matthews-Marner together, against tougher matchups, had an xGA/60 of 2.36. No, that's not similar.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Split the three headed monster. They all want to get paid, run your own lines.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Pacioretty - Nylander - Grebenkin/Robertson
Holmberg - Kampf - Jarnkrok
I agree that those 3 should run their own lines, but it seems like Berube wants the 3rd line to be the identity line, and Matthews+Marner+Nylander aren't really the types of players you would put on that kind of line. Under Berube's intended setup those 3 have to be in the top 6.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Now what I want, but what I think will happen:

Traded: Robertson
Sent Down: Cowan
LTIR: Dewar
Signed: Pacioretty & Lorentz

Lines
Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Jarnkrok
Pacioretty-Tavares-McMann
Lorentz-Kampf-Reaves
Holmberg

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljergren

Woll
Stolarz

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This might have been true in 2019, but we dont know if this is true anymore. Id argue that Matthews seems more and more interested in separating himself from Marner. If he thought he and Marner had incredible chemistey, he wouldnt have selected Nylander and Reilly before him at the All Star game, especially with 1 million reward on the line.

Matthews might be fine with playing with Marner, however, he produced 2x more points with Domi on his wing than Marner. 2x...is ALOT. We dont know if hes a "fan" of it. That is just you speculating...id argue the opposite.
Would think the new coach would discuss preferences with his new captain.

Guess we shall see

You think those two are still calling their own shots even with Keefe out of the picture?
Don't know for certain, but despite a golden opportunity to split them up, they are still line mates as of now

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I agree that those 3 should run their own lines, but it seems like Berube wants the 3rd line to be the identity line, and Matthews+Marner+Nylander aren't really the types of players you would put on that kind of line. Under Berube's intended setup those 3 have to be in the top 6.
Not sure the current McMann - Tavares - Robertson third line is really an identity line either though.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Now what I want, but what I think will happen:

Traded: Robertson
Sent Down: Cowan
LTIR: Dewar
Signed: Pacioretty & Lorentz

Lines
Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Jarnkrok
Pacioretty-Tavares-McMann
Lorentz-Kampf-Reaves
Holmberg

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljergren

Woll
Stolarz

I really don't want to see Robertson traded at all unless it's for a similar aged player with upside back.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When will they announce the roster for tomorrow.
Home game so no rush

Guess we shall see

Don't know for certain, but despite a golden opportunity to split them up, they are still line mates as of now
I’m sure he’ll try some different combinations. Everything doesn’t need to be determined in the first few practices.

Reactions: Roo

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I do feel like Matthews will get his cookies regardless of who he plays with. Marner would be a good winger to shelter Nylander’s transition to C or on an ‘identity line’ with Tavares and mcmann.

Reactions: hockeynorth

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Not sure the current McMann - Tavares - Robertson third line is really an identity line either though.
Wouldn't put too much stock in what the lines are right now. Groups A and B pretty have 3 forward lines each of NHLers+hopefuls. I do think Berube will probably keep some forward pairs together for some level of continuity, like Matthews-Marner, Nylander-Domi, and Tavares-McMann.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The way other young guys have been hyped, Knies has been talked up with regards to size and strength and Cowan and Grebenkin have been spotlighted, it really does feel like Robertson will be facing an uphill battle to gain a middle 6 job.

Reactions: PromisedLand

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Expected stats? Marner fans harrass me for using expected numbers and now you're using them?

Cant make this stuff up.

What expected stats did you use with Marner?

I only saw you cherry-picking primary assists in some situations and using all assists in others to try to paint Domi in a good light compared to Marner, and then never responding when asked about it.

It's weird to use expected stats in an argument and have people agree when they all complain about it when it doesn't fit their narrative (I for one think expected stats are good to get a better idea of actual gameplay), but it'd make sense that the people who complain about those stats are agreeing with your post now, Marner is usually leading the way in non-predictive stats (points and G%) though, so it'd make sense to use predictive stats in this situation.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Wouldn't put too much stock in what the lines are right now. Groups A and B pretty have 3 forward lines each of NHLers+hopefuls. I do think Berube will probably keep some forward pairs together for some level of continuity, like Matthews-Marner, Nylander-Domi, and Tavares-McMann.
We’ve never Marner-Nylander - could that be a line that takes over?

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Robbie-Nylander-Marner
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Maple Leafs captain Auston Matthews has identified two players in training camp who have really stood out to him thus far, and they're not who you might think.​

As training camp continues to roll on, the players are becoming more and more familiar with Craig Berube's new system, and some are taking to it better than others. According to Auston Matthews, two players who have really excelled so far are Marshall Rifai and Bobby McMann.

Rifai skated in two games for the Leafs last season and didn't look out of place, despite playing limited minutes. The 6'2, 205-pound blueliner is looking to show that he should be the first call-up on the blueline when the inevitable injuries occur. He has come into camp to compete at a different level in the eyes of Matthews.

"You can just see [Rifai] wants it and just continues to progress, and I've been pretty impressed with him and just the way he plays hard on both sides of the puck," said Matthews

After going from healthy scratch to scoring a hat-trick and becoming a mainstay in the Leafs' lineup in the second half of last season, McMann earned himself a two-year extension with the Leafs, which kicks in this season. Although he was injured and missed the Leafs' first-round series against the Boston Bruins, McMann is now healthy and raring to go through the opening days of training camp with Matthews comparing him to his linemate, Matthew Knies.

"You can just see him and Kniesy are kind of similar players. Just how strong they are, and big, and the skill set that they have to go along with it. I think those are gonna be a couple key guys for our team this year to help us take steps as well," Matthews continued.

Reactions: KitchenSink

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Guess we shall see

Chief’s not putting the cart ahead of the horse, Mathews will play with whoever the coach says he’ll play with…….

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad