GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Sounds like Craig Berube implemented a really intense day 1 of camp. Ryan Reaves said it was in the top 2 hardest opening days in his career and that it probably wasn't #2. Obviously this kind of shit gets said year in and year out, but you could really see the players weren't just talking out of their ass's. One thing Reaves mentioned that I found very interesting is that he thinks Berube's style will help drag some of the skill guys into the mud and get them into "uncomfortable" situations.

This is not meant as a knock on Sheldon Keefe, I think he is a solid coach. But I am really excited to watch a more direct north/south brand of hockey. It's the way the game gets played in April-June.

Skill will always find a way into making a difference, but fundamentally we need to play with more of a purpose each shift. I always found it counterintuitive when Sheldon would suggest our guys needing to pay more attention to detail, yet his system allowed for so much creativity. Details and creative freedom don't exactly mesh.

As much as Babcock was a clown on a personal level, I do think getting back to a more simple brand of hockey will benefit this group.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
🤣
I am not naive enough to believe in an agreement, the GM will pick the players. This just allows for him to put lines in the water to see who can be moved to match the coaches game plan.

Him and the Capologist will have to sit down and see what they can do.

When it comes to some of these vets I personally don't care on the returns as long as the kids earned the ice time.

Well, the coach is the one to put the players skates on the ice, and to draw up the line-up.

I'd be fine losing players on waivers if that gives development opportunities to the futures.

You know a website that is about futures might make sense. :nod::sarcasm:

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
Well, the coach is the one to put the players skates on the ice, and to draw up the line-up.

I'd be fine losing players on waivers if that gives development opportunities to the futures.

You know a website that is about futures might make sense. :nod::sarcasm:
If only someone could help and create one. I will wait impatiently right here 😂

Reactions: ULF_55

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Sounds like Craig Berube implemented a really intense day 1 of camp. Ryan Reaves said it was in the top 2 hardest opening days in his career and that it probably wasn't #2. Obviously this kind of shit gets said year in and year out, but you could really see the players weren't just talking out of their ass's. One thing Reaves mentioned that I found very interesting is that he thinks Berube's style will help drag some of the skill guys into the mud and get them into "uncomfortable" situations.

This is not meant as a knock on Sheldon Keefe, I think he is a solid coach. But I am really excited to watch a more direct north/south brand of hockey. It's the way the game gets played in April-June.

Skill will always find a way into making a difference, but fundamentally we need to play with more of a purpose each shift. I always found it counterintuitive when Sheldon would suggest our guys needing to pay more attention to detail, yet his system allowed for so much creativity. Details and creative freedom don't exactly mesh.

As much as Babcock was a clown on a personal level, I do think getting back to a more simple brand of hockey will benefit this group.

As I was reading your post Babcock sprung to mind and the endless north-south icing calls.

Where is Polak now?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not yet. My buddy has a line on tickets vs Nashville in December though and I'm sure I'll be hitting up a resident season ticket holder as well at some point this year lol

I'm sure. I hate it lol
I’ve got a few that I’m already looking to move including (unfortunately) Opening Night.

Reactions: bax

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It’s true though, I don’t know why they never gave Willy a proper run at centre

I think while he’s not a physical player, he’s smart and isn’t afraid to engage .. he just needs to keep refining his focus on effort through a full game.

But just not giving him a good run at an opportunity seemed silly. Perfect time in camp to give it a go
I think the biggest roadblock was signing JT. Can you imagine the reaction if Willy had taken the 2C job and we were paying $11M per year for a 3C?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It’s true though, I don’t know why they never gave Willy a proper run at centre

I think while he’s not a physical player, he’s smart and isn’t afraid to engage .. he just needs to keep refining his focus on effort through a full game.

But just not giving him a good run at an opportunity seemed silly. Perfect time in camp to give it a go
Makes one wonder if puttinf him at center has to do with not having a #2 if Tavares doesnt re-sign. Also, maybe a bit of an intimidating tactic against Tavares and contract negotiations.

I wish we wouldve had Nylander as an option as a #2. Ive always said that I think Tavares Matthews togethet, when Tavares was younger couldve been a 120 point each combo. Marners, low goal scoring threat, no cycle, net presence etc limits Matthews abilities to produce more. Tavares was all round an excellent player who can pass, score, cycle and is has great hands in front of the net.

I think the biggest roadblock was signing JT. Can you imagine the reaction if Willy had taken the 2C job and we were paying $11M per year for a 3C?
Nothing wrong with Tavares at 11 million on the wing. I wouldve preferred him there honestly.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
As I was reading your post Babcock sprung to mind and the endless north-south icing calls.

Where is Polak now?
Babcock seemed fixated on the D rifling a pass through the neutral zone and for the forwards to tip it into the zone to negate the icing. A lot of times it did end up in more icings than not, and a more stop and go brand of puck. That said, I will take a defensive zone faceoff over a neutral zone turnover and odd man rush going the other way any day of the week.

Far too many costly turnovers in neutral ice during the Keefe era. It's been the trademark of this team for years, and its cost us in the playoffs over and over again.

it can be exciting when it works, but I much prefer watching guys get pucks in behind the D and fighting to earn it back. We often wonder why scoring dries up in the playoffs, and its because the ice shrinks. Guys sell out more, and they don't give you free ice. You have to find your space in other ways. Often times that means moving the puck

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Would you rather spend 11.5 on a C or a W?
Yeah brother exactly.

It's a huge positive if the move is successful.

Especially since it means we can walk away from JT after this season and not need a replacement.

I’ve got a few that I’m already looking to move including (unfortunately) Opening Night.
Honest question. Why are you missing the first game of Berube's tenure?

If it's none of my business I apologize in advance.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Far too many costly turnovers in neutral ice during the Keefe era. It's been the trademark of this team for years, and its cost us in the playoffs over and over again.

Bench management by players and coaching, to me, seemed to be an issue.

1 man / 0 man back on changes.
Players coasting to the bench on changes.
Too many men on the ice.
Not picking up your man on changes.

Reactions: rumman

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica

well said, keefe never demanded accountability from his stars other than nylander either and let them run the show, he took his frustrations out on rookies and peripheral players instead. ive drifted away from this version of the leafs because of how from the top down they accept losing so easily and how none of our impact players lay it on the line in the biggest situations.

berube, i hope, at least gets the ship pointed in the right direction again. i love hockey and want to feel invested in my home town team which has been hard the past 6 or so years. im not confident but theres always a chance.

in basketball terms to me keefe was like sam mitchell who excelled as a players coach and really helped the young guys produce, but in the post season he just didnt have the chops to go head to head with the best coaches/systems. im hoping berube is nick nurse system wise :)

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Auston, they named you Captain not GM.

Stay in your own lane.

:jk:
saw the potential of this happening, can the entitled possibly become more entitled?

Bench management by players and coaching, to me, seemed to be an issue.

1 man / 0 man back on changes.
Players coasting to the bench on changes.
Too many men on the ice.
Not picking up your man on changes.
I'd add extending your shift too long.........

I need context lol, I am at work on a double again, need the scoop!
hope your earning some sweet sweet double bubble..........

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Honest question. Why are you missing the first game of Berube's tenure?

If it's none of my business I apologize in advance.
Hate to miss it but we spend every Thanksgiving with the In laws in Montreal.
I may not even get to watch it live depending on what's planned.

No need to apologize.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad