GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021

Super early, and maybe they just want to see what they have in Holmberg as a C, but curious to see how the 4th line plays out.

Would be crazy to have signed Kampf and Reaves last season to 3 year deals and then have them sitting for players we already had.
Not sure what the plan is with Pacioretty. He’s probably the 13th forward.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Jarnkrok
Robertson-Tavares-McMann
Holmberg-Kampf-Reaves

• Love
Reactions: TheGroceryStick

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Not sure what the plan is with Pacioretty. He’s probably the 13th forward.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Jarnkrok
Robertson-Tavares-McMann
Holmberg-Kampf-Reaves

There is no scenario where Reaves should be on the NHL roster with the forwards we have.

Pacioretty is a question mark right now, but I think at his worst he is more useful than Reaves.

Reaves is somewhere in between 15th to 20th on the depth chart if they go by playing ability.

Reactions: Zero1 and Skullz

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
Sure but until the Cap and Waivers are eliminated, that's not reality.
So what you are saying 🤔, I may have this wrong. Is that the coach should build lines in camp/preseason that reflect the waiver eligibility rather than the skills of the pool of players they have in camp.

Why sign PTOs? How do prospects make the team?

That seems like there isn't competition in camp then. Might as well just bring minimal to camp

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So what you are saying 🤔, I may have this wrong. Is that the coach should build lines in camp/preseason that reflect the waiver eligibility rather than the skills of the pool of players they have in camp.

Why sign PTOs? How do prospects make the team?

That seems like there isn't competition in camp then. Might as well just bring minimal to camp
All I'm saying is the Coach can't just go with who he thinks are the best 23 players because of these considerations.

Reactions: egd27

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
All I'm saying is the Coach can't just go with who he thinks are the best 23 players because of these considerations.
In preseason he can though. That is all I'm saying. This is the time for him to experiment with the lines/players to show Management what they've got and what players are expendable.

Especially showing the way the team could be utilized if the coach gets the desired players

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
In preseason he can though. That is all I'm saying. This is the time for him to experiment with the lines/players to show Management what they've got and what players are expendable.

Especially showing the way the team could be utilized if the coach gets the desired players
For sure and it would be great if some guys force their way onto the Team and a few are dumped.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
He's looked really good thus far. Really interested in seeing him play against NHLers. This I think was Dubas' plan all along, sign the big boys, fill in with cheap youngsters. Unfortunately, we really didn't have any really good cheap youngsters or our coach wasn't interested in playing them.
Ideally this is how you make a solid good team. Have younger forwards and players push for spots and fill them into the lineup, problem is/was Toronto hasn't really had players develop in time (which Lou/Dubas are to blame for), which was the need to sign Reaves/Kampf.

From 2015 and onwards, these are the following players that Toronto has drafted and been NHLers:
Marner//Dermott/Woll/Grundstrom/Matthews/Lilly/Sandin/Durzi/Holmberg/Robertson/Knies.

Now hopefully we are starting to see the last 4/5 years of the draft pushing and making us a deeper/better team.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Lots of cheap seats available for Sunday night. Anyone planning to go?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Coach shouldn't care about waivers. His job is to win games and play the players that can accomplish this.
To a point, as @ACC1224 states there are restrictions.

If the Cap Doesn't Fit you must Evict.

Regardless of what the Coach wants, GM has to ensure assets are protected, and the team is within Cap regulations.

EDIT: Really late with this post. My apologies ... I spilt my tea and had to rescue my laptop ...

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Lots of cheap seats available for Sunday night. Anyone planning to go?
Not yet. My buddy has a line on tickets vs Nashville in December though and I'm sure I'll be hitting up a resident season ticket holder as well at some point this year lol

Absolutely. Also I'm not sure about Paciorrety but that might have to do with wearing a toilet seat so long 😅
I'm sure. I hate it lol

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He's played the last 2 years in the KHL against men.

And he's done really well doing so.

Grebyonkin won the KHL Alexei Cherepanov Award in the 2022-23 season as the KHL’s Rookie of the Year.
Looks promising, hope ge can keep it up, nake the team, and be impactful……

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
:thumbu:

Certainly, this time of year there is no Cap, or roster limit, or waivers required.

Beyond preseason, GM and Coach will come to agreement / compromise as permitted by league rules.
🤣
I am not naive enough to believe in an agreement, the GM will pick the players. This just allows for him to put lines in the water to see who can be moved to match the coaches game plan.

Him and the Capologist will have to sit down and see what they can do.

When it comes to some of these vets I personally don't care on the returns as long as the kids earned the ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad