GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Jarnkrok in the top 6 makes me sick. He’s so useless.
The only justifiable reason to having Jankrok in the top 6 is for the role he's playing now, defensive player the coach can trust on that line. Running a Domi-Nylander-Robertson line for example would probably give us a heartattack and Chief a heart attack.

Side note, if Nylander can actually play center in the NHL and proves to be a strong two way player in that role, it makes the roster and the depth so much more. You're able to balance out the top 9 compared to before. Something tells me though, he will get exposed and it'll last 10 games.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Berube running OEL-McCabe and Benoit-Liljegren as the bottom 2 pairs before Hakanpaa's back suggests that when he is good to go, it will shift to McCabe-Hakanpaa and OEL-Liljegren.

Liljegren is going to have to have a pretty bad preseason for Berube to decide to play a LHD on his offside on opening night, when he is on record as heavily preferring 50/50 balance in pair handedness.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Berube running OEL-McCabe and Benoit-Liljegren as the bottom 2 pairs before Hakanpaa's back suggests that when he is good to go, it will shift to McCabe-Hakanpaa and OEL-Liljegren.

Liljegren is going to have to have a pretty bad preseason for Berube to decide to play a LHD on his offside on opening night, when he is on record as heavily preferring 50/50 balance in pair handedness.
I hope Lilly's moved before the season opener, if the Big Finn is healthy and Myers impresses he's going to be the odd man out...........

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not raised as a storyline yet, but both Morgan and Benny are new dads.
Maybe keep 8 d around.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville

Doubt it. McCabe played the majority on the right side of Benoit last year and excelled. I think they will go for pairings where you have one stay at home guy with a puck mover, which makes sense.

Reactions: Skullz

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I hope Lilly's moved before the season opener, if the Big Finn is healthy and Myers impresses he's going to be the odd man out...........

I don't think Myers is even top 10 D on this team...

It'd also suck if they get some puck movement on the backend and then revert to wanting to play in the defensive zone only because no one can pass the puck.

Super underrated... I still think he might be ahead of Cowan, but Cowan's motor is a good selling feature as a complimentary player for the big guns.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Grebenkin has looked good so far in the rookie game and short time in camp. Berube has already talked about him as well. I'd assume he's one of the players that's going to get a real good look come pre season time. Will have to see how he looks against NHLers.
He's looked really good thus far. Really interested in seeing him play against NHLers. This I think was Dubas' plan all along, sign the big boys, fill in with cheap youngsters. Unfortunately, we really didn't have any really good cheap youngsters or our coach wasn't interested in playing them.

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener

Super early, and maybe they just want to see what they have in Holmberg as a C, but curious to see how the 4th line plays out.

Would be crazy to have signed Kampf and Reaves last season to 3 year deals and then have them sitting for players we already had.
The coach shouldn't care about contracts. He is looking at options and the best way to deploy the team to win games.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The coach shouldn't care about contracts. He is looking at options and the best way to deploy the team to win games.

It looks bad on the GM, not the coach... I know this...

He's looked really good thus far. Really interested in seeing him play against NHLers. This I think was Dubas' plan all along, sign the big boys, fill in with cheap youngsters. Unfortunately, we really didn't have any really good cheap youngsters or our coach wasn't interested in playing them.

Drafting sucked under Lou.

I think the general philosophy is it's easier to find discounted 3rd liners and ELCs that can fill in than top 3 centers and top 10 wingers.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That's not reality though. Contracts and waiver eligibility are a big part of the team makeup.

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
It looks bad on the GM, not the coach... I know this...

Drafting sucked under Lou.

I think the general philosophy is it's easier to find discounted 3rd liners and ELCs that can fill in than top 3 centers and top 10 wingers.
I think you're damned if you do, damned if you don’t for the GM. Reaves is pretty much burials I believe. Kampf is insurance/13th forward.

If you go into camp counting on the prospects to make the team and they flop/can't adjust (not ready) you are just as messed up. Deal with the extra players after camp.

I would love for the kids to force the team to make hard decisions and waive/trade some vets

That's not reality though. Contracts and waiver eligibility are a big part of the team makeup.
That is not his job though

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think you're damned if you do, damned if you don’t for the GM. Reaves is pretty much burials I believe. Kampf is insurance/13th forward.

If you go into camp counting on the prospects to make the team and they flop/can't adjust (not ready) you are just as messed up. Deal with the extra players after camp.

I would love for the kids to force the team to make hard decisions and waive/trade some vets

That is not his job though
They are all in it together.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't think Myers is even top 10 D on this team...

It'd also suck if they get some puck movement on the backend and then revert to wanting to play in the defensive zone only because no one can pass the puck.

Super underrated... I still think he might be ahead of Cowan, but Cowan's motor is a good selling feature as a complimentary player for the big guns.
Berurbe's going to demand forwards place a 200' game, no more goal sucking by the forwards imo..........

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019

Hakanpaa is part time bottom pair D. He probably will only play have the season to try and keep him healthy. He can't handle 2nd pair minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad