GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He had a long stretch in 2018 when Matthews was hurt

Got 10 games or so and his production died pretty bad that year.

2018 was when he missed training camp and started his season December 6th.

1726797097610.png

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
2018 was when he missed training camp and started his season December 6th.

View attachment 908110
2017-2018 not 2018-2019

I use the end of the season as year I am talking and not start so sorry for the cofusion

2017-2018 Matthews 2nd year he missed 20 games total. I remember Nylander playing C during that stretch by Babcock and not producing great

Reactions: ULF_55

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
2017-2018 not 2018-2019

I use the end of the season as year I am talking and not start so sorry for the cofusion

2017-2018 Matthews 2nd year he missed 20 games total. I remember Nylander playing C during that stretch by Babcock and not producing great

This is interesting:

1726797605224.png

marner -1
Nylander +20

We know this isn't a great stat, so if it doesn't matter, it still doesn't matter. Right?

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
This is interesting:

View attachment 908112

marner -1
Nylander +20

We know this isn't a great stat, so if it doesn't matter, it still doesn't matter. Right?
So lemme get this straight the great defensive winger without matthews isnt all that great of a defensive player and the horrible defensive player willie looks like a great 2 way player playing along side the captain........interesting

Place holder until Grebenkin gets acclimatized to the NA ice.
or alex

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Gimme a break. We need 3 scoring lines. We have 3 guys paid enough to drive a line but only 2 Centers . We need a 2 to 3 C to emerge.
We have four guys paid enough to drive a line, but only two who (still) can. One of them looks to finally get a chance at 2C, which should move JT to 3C.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He had a long stretch in 2018 when Matthews was hurt

Got 10 games or so and his production died pretty bad that year.

After that it was brief stints. At 28 going 29, nylander gets 0 benefit of doubt that he is a center. Has to go out and dominate training camp, and early season as a C to show he can make the switch

At 11.5M there will be huge expectations, him trying to play C wont be an excuse if he fails to deliver. Leash at C for Nylander should not be too long. If he does good in 3-4 games give him a longer look, if he is medicore or struggles kill the experiment and get him to Winger so he can attempt to live up to his deal at least.
A few games thrown in as a 3C at age 21 may not be the best sample, but generally I agree. I think he deserves closer to 20 games before giving up, partly as we really don't have much else to use as 2C at the moment.

Would you rather spend 11.5 on a C or a W?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
LMAO Willy throwing some shades on Keefer LOL :laugh:

P.S. Absolutely HATE that Marner gets to f***ing play with Matthews AGAIN. What the F is marner even f***ing worth without matthews then? 11 AAV winger looking for 14AAV needs a 13 AAV center to produce else he is trash isn't it? Really disgusting!!!
I think Willy very much had the answer, and was very diplomatic about it.

As far as Marner playing with Matthews goes, I agree (sans profanity) but it's just the start of training camp, so hopefully that changes. (Maybe they want to showcase him to possibly spark trade interest.)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
So lemme get this straight the great defensive winger without matthews isnt all that great of a defensive player and the horrible defensive player willie looks like a great 2 way player playing along side the captain........interesting

or alex
Willy was also +3 playing center in the 10 game stretch in Feb/Mar 2018 when Matty was injured.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

That is not what it means and +/- isn't a good stat... but push that narrative all you want, wait until you see the playoffs... all of a sudden Marner > everyone at F (Rielly leads).

At 5v5, Marner and Matthews tend to lead the forwards in G%, which means when they are on the ice, we are winning the most... so they are the best playoff performers?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So lemme get this straight the great defensive winger without matthews isnt all that great of a defensive player and the horrible defensive player willie looks like a great 2 way player playing along side the captain....
Quite the opposite. Marner is still great defensively away from Matthews, and Nylander doesn't suddenly turn into a great 2 way player with Matthews. In fact, the referenced year was one of Nylander's worst defensively. +/- is worthless, and not a defensive stat. Ironically, it being higher had more to do with the inflated outlier 5v5 OISH% he had that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad