GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

As camp goes on, what are you looking for from your guys on PTOs, Max Pacioretty and Steven Lorentz?

Berube
: It’s just like we are looking at the other guys — young guys out of junior or college. I get these guys have been in the NHL — I get all of that — but what it’s what they do as players.

Lorentz is a guy who filled in a role last year for Florida. He has size, speed, and strength. He did a good job for them in the playoffs last year penalty killing.

Pacioretty has been an elite scorer in this league for a long time. He has been injured for the last couple of years. He is feeling healthy. He is a big, strong guy who can score and hang onto pucks.
What kind of conversations have you had with Nick Robertson as he navigated the contract situation?

Berube
: Even in the summer time, I didn’t focus on the contract stuff. It has nothing to do with me. I just said, “I’d love you to come to camp. I hope you’re here. With your ability, speed, and youth, it would be a good addition to our team,” as he was last year.

I don’t get too in-depth with the other stuff about negotiations. It is not for me.

What kind of kid does Robertson seem like to you?

Berube
: He is a great kid. Hard worker. He has a great personality and energy. I thought he had a great day on the ice. He has some elite speed and shot.
How long do you need to see William Nylander in the middle to gauge how successful he can be in the spot?

Berube
: That is a good question. You have to give him some opportunity and time. We have to see an exhibition here down the road and play a few games. We will see what he looks like, how he is feeling, and if he is comfortable. Those are conversations I will have with him. Also, we will be watching him and seeing how it looks.

Is there something in particular you will be evaluating with Nylander at center?

Berube
: As a centerman, your play in your own end down low, breakouts, being in the right position, and working to get back quickly to help the D out are very important.

I don’t think it is going to be an issue with him getting the puck and transporting it up the ice. He is an elite player. He has that ability. But it is the details of the defensive part of the game, the breakouts, and positioning that take a little bit more time.

Is it reps that Nylander needs to grasp those areas?

Berube
: Reps definitely help. Faceoffs and details like that are things he is going to have to work on. We have to work with him.
What were your impressions of Nikita Grebenkin playing on a line with two NHL players?

Berube
: He is a big, strong guy. I was impressed with him. It was a tough practice, but his pace did not drop off. He is a big, strong kid and a strong skater. There is some really good stuff there. I love his size.
What do you want the players to take away from the first practice under you as a coach?

Berube
: Just an identity more than anything. There was a lot of work and compete out there and a lot of battles. It’s just learning that you are going to be uncomfortable a lot of times in games. You have to work and compete under those circumstances.

I am very happy with the first day overall. The guys really worked.
Why is it important to establish the work rate and intensity right off the hop?

Berube
: It is the game, isn’t it? Not every game is as intense as other games, but again, I want our team to have an identity about competing, playing hard, working, and winning one-on-one battles.

I was really impressed. It was a tough practice, but I didn’t find the pace dropped off that much from start to end, which is very important.

How critical are these first few days for your new assistant coaches as well?

Berube
: I mean, it is important as a coaching staff that we form chemistry out there and work well together on the ice, and also that they are working well with the players and getting to know the players. Communication with the players is really important.

What is the significance of the stopwatch during practice?

Berube
: When I track drills, I like to know the time, how long the drill is running, and things like that. Sometimes, I lose track more in training camp than at any other time.

It’s so I can keep an eye on practice and how long the drills are running. We don’t want to be getting too long, and then you have another group coming up. Everything has to roll smoothly. I try to keep track of things in camp with a stopwatch.

Last edited:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Man if we had gotten berube or a berube-esque coach 2-3 years ago I’d be so hype at that point.

All this talk would be candy to my ears back then. Talking about creating an identity, the reports of the intense camp, all the talk of nylander at C.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm guessing Nylander at center lasts 5-10 games at best.

We've been through this song and dance and he just ain't much of a center at the end of the day. He's also at that age where you can't exactly make leaps and bounds on your game.

I don't dislike Keefe as much as some,.but he was way too click to pull the trigger on that. If you're trying to ease a guy into a different position they need rope to get comfortable.

Imo Nylander plays better defensively down the middle since it keeps him engaged more. He'll just need wingers who can keep up

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We've been through this song and dance and he just ain't much of a center at the end of the day

Except we haven’t. We have never given it a legitimate attempt. Trying him a few games here and there or only when we are injury depleted isn’t giving it a real shot

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Sibling rivalry, or suppose Alex get called up, then demoted, rinse and repeat a couple of times. I can see Styles not liking the way the organization is treating his little brother. All this us purely hypothetical, but is he really worth the possible problems? I worked with my brother years ago and it wasn’t exactly sunshine and lollipops if you get my drift…….
He can't be called up, he doesn't have an NHL contract.

I would imagine one of the primary reasons he signed an AHL deal is so he could have some stability, instead going back and forth between the NHL, AHL, then waiver claim into a new organization and rinse and repeat.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I don't dislike Keefe as much as some,.but he was way too click to pull the trigger on that. If you're trying to ease a guy into a different position they need rope to get comfortable.

Imo Nylander plays better defensively down the middle since it keeps him engaged more. He'll just need wingers who can keep up
I'm trying to figure out who though.

McMann - Nylander - Marner?

No JT anywhere but bottom 6

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

I think Willy showed Keefe more courtesy here than Keefe ever showed him.

Absolutely hate Marner with Matthews. Too much cutesy putesy shit where they look to pass it into the net. I honestly feel Matthews is a more complete and effective player away from Marner.

To start:

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Robertson-Tavares-McMann
Holmberg-Nylander-Jarnkrok

Shelter Nylander a bit at 3C to get his bearings, with 2 guys who can provide support on the defensive side and have some finish.

If/when Nylander shows he can play Centre, you can always flip.

Not to get bogged down between who is 2C-3C. Whoever earns it get la the ice time, and if they both do, then you can split the time equal and make them a night to match up against.

Interesting times.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think Willy showed Keefe more courtesy here than Keefe ever showed him.

Absolutely hate Marner with Matthews. Too much cutesy putesy shit where they look to pass it into the net. I honestly feel Matthews is a more complete and effective player away from Marner.

To start:

Knies-Matthews-Domi
Robertson-Tavares-McMann
Holmberg-Nylander-Jarnkrok

Shelter Nylander a bit at 3C to get his bearings, with 2 guys who can provide support on the defensive side and have some finish.

If/when Nylander shows he can play Centre, you can always flip.

Not to get bogged down between who is 2C-3C. Whoever earns it get la the ice time, and if they both do, then you can split the time equal and make them a night to match up against.

Interesting times.

Where did Marner go lol

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He can't be called up, he doesn't have an NHL contract.

I would imagine one of the primary reasons he signed an AHL deal is so he could have some stability, instead going back and forth between the NHL, AHL, then waiver claim into a new organization and rinse and repeat.
he's stated he want to make the big club........

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Sibling rivalry, or suppose Alex get called up, then demoted, rinse and repeat a couple of times. I can see Styles not liking the way the organization is treating his little brother. All this us purely hypothetical, but is he really worth the possible problems? I worked with my brother years ago and it wasn’t exactly sunshine and lollipops if you get my drift…….
On the other hand, the Sutter brothers were all about pushing each other to improve. How would you like a younger brother driven to prove he's as good, and an older one driven to prove he isn't yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad