GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Or they could push each other to be better.
Anything’s possible, but like I said I see more negative than positive. One brother is considered a hometown superstar, the other is a fringe NHLer, we’re not talking Bobby and Dennis Hall here……..

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Nylander at centre and how Liljegren and Robertson perform under a new coach are key things I’m watching for with regards to Keefe VS Berube. I’m not even a big believer in Willy at centre but the stubbornness and unwillingness of Keefe to give it a real shot is so emblematic of Sheldon that I’m excited to see how it looks with a coaching staff who actually wants to see it succeed and doesn’t immediately believe it’s a failure before they’ve even began. Likewise with Liljegren and Robertson who never could earn Keefe’s trust no matter how long a stretch of good play was. One bad game or mistake was enough for them to be banished again. Hopefully Berube is more willing to let players have a long run of play and won’t cut ice time or bench them at the slightest downturn.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Screenshot_2024-09-19-15-03-37~2.png

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Anything’s possible, but like I said I see more negative than positive. One brother is considered a hometown superstar, the other is a fringe NHLer, we’re not talking Bobby and Dennis Hall here……..

What negative? I mean if he’s not earning it he won’t be here with the Leafs. And if he is earning it still think personally there is a fair deal of potential there.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What negative? I mean if he’s not earning it he won’t be here with the Leafs. And if he is earning it still think personally there is a fair deal of potential there.
Sibling rivalry, or suppose Alex get called up, then demoted, rinse and repeat a couple of times. I can see Styles not liking the way the organization is treating his little brother. All this us purely hypothetical, but is he really worth the possible problems? I worked with my brother years ago and it wasn’t exactly sunshine and lollipops if you get my drift…….

Reactions: Sypher04

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Sibling rivalry, or suppose Alex get called up, then demoted, rinse and repeat a couple of times. I can see Styles not liking the way the organization is treating his little brother. All this us purely hypothetical, but is he really worth the possible problems? I worked with my brother years ago and it wasn’t exactly sunshine and lollipops if you get my drift…….
He’s also living with Willy. I know Willy is responsible but I know nothing about Alex’s personality. Hopefully he’s a good influence and they feed off of each other though.

Reactions: rumman

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Domino's That's Hockey: Major changes for Maple Leafs in first practice with Berube​

Mark Masters and Chris Johnston discuss the tone set by new Leafs head coach Craig Berube at his first training camp with the team, share their thoughts on William Nylander's comments regarding playing at centre, and take a closer look at how Max Pacioretty is handling his PTO

---------------------------------------------

Robertson: 'I'm happy to be in Toronto'​

Nick Robertson didn't want to dive into the details of his trade request but said he's happy to have signed with the Maple Leafs and is looking forward to the opportunity under new head coach Craig Berube.

Reactions: weems

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Domino's That's Hockey: Major changes for Maple Leafs in first practice with Berube​

Mark Masters and Chris Johnston discuss the tone set by new Leafs head coach Craig Berube at his first training camp with the team, share their thoughts on William Nylander's comments regarding playing at centre, and take a closer look at how Max Pacioretty is handling his PTO

---------------------------------------------

Robertson: 'I'm happy to be in Toronto'​

Nick Robertson didn't want to dive into the details of his trade request but said he's happy to have signed with the Maple Leafs and is looking forward to the opportunity under new head coach Craig Berube.

Any quick notes on the video? Doing a double at work and unfortunately it won't play =(

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
From reading some articles, sounds like the first practice was extremely intense according to the players.

Tons of battle drills, 1v1's, 2v2's.
I saw a clip of tavares and tanev playing 1 on 1 and it looked pretty crazy, couldn't make out for sure who, but it looked like tanev was all over JT and he was protecting the puck pretty well

I don't buy that the team has changed based off of camp, but this is infinitely better to hear vs just a normal training camp

Reactions: bax and weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I saw a clip of tavares and tanev playing 1 on 1 and it looked pretty crazy, couldn't make out for sure who, but it looked like tanev was all over JT and he was protecting the puck pretty well

I don't buy that the team has changed based off of camp, but this is infinitely better to hear vs just a normal training camp

In the TSN clip with Masters and CJ.
He has a quote from Reaves and he said something like, he's had two extremely hard days as a pro and today wasn't #2.
Changing coaches isn't always some magic bullet and there's no gurantee that this group will fare better playing a different style but under the old coach/GM, I'd say we definitely weren't a team that excelled at winning physical puck battles.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It’s true though, I don’t know why they never gave Willy a proper run at centre

I think while he’s not a physical player, he’s smart and isn’t afraid to engage .. he just needs to keep refining his focus on effort through a full game.

But just not giving him a good run at an opportunity seemed silly. Perfect time in camp to give it a go

Reactions: OddyOh

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It’s true though, I don’t know why they never gave Willy a proper run at centre

I think while he’s not a physical player, he’s smart and isn’t afraid to engage .. he just needs to keep refining his focus on effort through a full game.

But just not giving him a good run at an opportunity seemed silly. Perfect time in camp to give it a go
Engagement is going to be a must under Berube’s system, can’t wait to see these leopard’s change their spots……..

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
RE: Nylander at centre with Keefe

I think the longest stretches for Nylander at centre with Keefe always came in the playoffs in dire circumstances with so-so linemates.

If he gets a fair run with it, I think he has the chance to succeed, he can't be worse than Domi defensively. He has played centre in the SHL and AHL and was productive in those leagues.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Nylander basically confirming what a majority thought. He has been open to playing C for a while but experiment ended by Keefe

So the coach didn't think he'd make a good C... not seeing the issue.

I disagree with the coach on this, but I swear our board said that the players ran this team, so this is very confusing.

Engagement is going to be a must under Berube’s system, can’t wait to see these leopard’s change their spots……..

Like they did under Babcock?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
i personally think robertson would look terrible on that line, he needs to play with high skill to be effective offensively, asking him to cycle with his injury history/size is a recipe for disaster. put him up with marner and willy and have jarnkrok with JT and mcmann. just imo though.

at the end of the day with robertson, lets give him an actual chance to succeed, and then make a decision on his future based on how he responds.
I think if you look at last year's actual results you will see that this trio was a pretty effective line. I remember liking this line when I watched them and also someone posting some stats to support the eye test.

I think this line could give both Tavares and Robertson (McMann too for that matter) a chance to succeed. They could get decent minutes as a strong third line (2b) and Robertson could get PP time also. I like them up against third and fourth lines and third d pairings. If you take Robertson's scoring rate from last year and give him consistent third line minutes and PP2 time he projects to score 20 to 25 goals and 40 to 50 points. Everyone would be happy with those, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad