GDT: Training Camp discussion - Steeves on waivers and other cuts

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Dewar still still get a game in. Kampf looked competent last night and played his typical game (ignoring Cap implications). Jarnkrok looks like his typical self, shot a perfect crease front pass into the goalies glove.

Locks:
Matthews
Nylander
Marner
Tavares
Robertson
Lorentz
Holmberg

Should be lock's but not showing it:
Knies
McMann

Meh but will probably make the team:
Pacioretty
Kampf
Jarnkrok
Reeves

Odd man out: Dewar

Back to Junior: Cowan

They should probably waive Reeves to get the forwards down to 12 but trading Jarnkrok (or Kampf) works for me as well.

Rafai and Meyer had a very good game. First call ups if they pass waivers.

Liljegren looks unenthused, no urgency. Very disappointed. They will probably let him try to play his way to being better at his contract and cap hit.

Treliving has a few moves to make. Timmins should either make the team or get traded because he’ll be snapped up on waivers.

I think they are hiding Murray because another good game and he would be gone on waivers too. Probably will get claimed anyway.

We are going to lose one or two regular NhL players for nothing and people will moan. But Lorentz and Robertson have been excellent. They have to replace someone.

I have been saying for a while and I still don't even know if it is possible, but not signing Lorentz (or even Pacioretty) right away is a lever we have to manage the cap in the early season before injuries hit. I do wonder why neither PTO has signed yet.

I would also waive Reaves to gain cap and roster flexibility.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I have been saying for a while and I still don't even know if it is possible, but not signing Lorentz (or even Pacioretty) right away is a lever we have to manage the cap in the early season before injuries hit. I do wonder why neither PTO has signed yet.

I would also waive Reaves to gain cap and roster flexibility.

Someone ..cough Lily... cough .... will pull a groin or a toenail or a hangnail and be out long term - 2 to 3 months on LTIR .... and poof all of a sudden we have LTIR cap relief...

Reactions: rumman

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Someone ..cough Lily... cough .... will pull a groin or a toenail or a hangnail and be out long term - 2 to 3 months on LTIR .... and poof all of a sudden we have LTIR cap relief...
Yeah. I don't see why Lily does that. He needs ice time here or somewhere else. I think the player that does this needs to be onboard with the decision.

I am not a Lilly hater at all, but we should just try to move him. I don't really see what the upside is. He is already making $3M a year and not a solid top four by any stretch. If over the next two years he develops into one it will line up with UFA and then we are paying him five or six million a year.

We should pull a Sandin and move him out for value and never miss him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is there a list of all the players left at the main camp? Just wondering how many more they need to trim.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Dewar still still get a game in. Kampf looked competent last night and played his typical game (ignoring Cap implications). Jarnkrok looks like his typical self, shot a perfect crease front pass into the goalies glove.

Locks:
Matthews
Nylander
Marner
Tavares
Robertson
Lorentz
Holmberg

Should be lock's but not showing it:
Knies
McMann

Meh but will probably make the team:
Pacioretty
Kampf
Jarnkrok
Reeves

Odd man out: Dewar

Back to Junior: Cowan

They should probably waive Reeves to get the forwards down to 12 but trading Jarnkrok (or Kampf) works for me as well.

Rafai and Meyer had a very good game. First call ups if they pass waivers.

Liljegren looks unenthused, no urgency. Very disappointed. They will probably let him try to play his way to being better at his contract and cap hit.

Treliving has a few moves to make. Timmins should either make the team or get traded because he’ll be snapped up on waivers.

I think they are hiding Murray because another good game and he would be gone on waivers too. Probably will get claimed anyway.

We are going to lose one or two regular NhL players for nothing and people will moan. But Lorentz and Robertson have been excellent. They have to replace someone.

Dewar is better than Kampf, imo. Kampf is a must to get rid of before opening night. I'd take Lorentz also way before Kampf.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think Kampf is a bad player, but if trading him meant we can keep an extra body or two on the roster it makes us better. Us with Dewar + robertson + Patches are a better team than us with Kampf

I agree he is not a bad player, but I feel like he is so bland. I agree, us with Dewar + Robertson + Patches makes us a better team.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I agree he is not a bad player, but I feel like he is so bland. I agree, us with Dewar + Robertson + Patches makes us a better team.

To be fair to Kampf, that's not exactly a proportional comparison.
Patches is expected to be around 1.1. Dewar is 1.18. Combined that is basically Kampf's 2.4
It's not all 3 players vs Kampf.

Reactions: ACC1224

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Yeah. I don't see why Lily does that. He needs ice time here or somewhere else. I think the player that does this needs to be onboard with the decision.

I am not a Lilly hater at all, but we should just try to move him. I don't really see what the upside is. He is already making $3M a year and not a solid top four by any stretch. If over the next two years he develops into one it will line up with UFA and then we are paying him five or six million a year.

We should pull a Sandin and move him out for value and never miss him.

I think Lily is the obvious guy on D, to your point 3 mil for a 6-7 defender on a team that is so tight to the cap makes little sense. Guys like Reaves, Kampft and Jarnkrok could be targets too, Kampft at this point is a #4 center making over league min on the 4th line. Jarnkrok being able to play up and down in the lineup and being able to play all 3 fwd positions is somewhat more valuable. Reaves is over paid for 4th line duties but was signed by Tree, unlikely Tree signs a guy and a year later waives him, I think him being over 35 the contract still impacts the cap if he is waived, maybe Reaves trips on a pebble and is out 6 months with a stubbed toe? Why would Lily do it? Bubble guys rarely have any leverage, they do what the team says or they are put in hockey purgatory... maybe Lily is promised an amateur scouting job for life back in Sweden - when the hockey days are over a lot of these athletes have no after hockey plan to make money.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I would like to see up front
Knies AM MM
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Patches Domi Holmberg
McMann Lorentz Jarnkrok
Reaves
IR - Dewar
Junior - Cowan
Trade - Kampf

During year trade Jarnkrok+ for a better 3C and slide Holmberg to 4th line and Domi to the wing. A few of those guys on 2nd and 3rd line can slide around. They could also keep Kampf and buy time if Jarnkrok can also go on LTIR.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I really liked what McMann brought before the injury, but I'm wondering how he fits in now if they're serious about keeping Patches. Are they gonna do a rotation with McMann/Robertson/Pacioretty where one guy comes out? Would be a mistake to just let him go for nothing otherwise, and Pacioretty will probably miss time at some point again.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

Pretty close to regular season lines.

Myers in for McCabe... it will be interesting to see if Timmins is actually ahead of Lilly.

The other questions are McCann, Pacioretty, Jarnkrok, Reaves, Kampf, Robertson and Lorentz, Dewar.... who is actually in the real lineup?

Eight players for six spots.... five plus a spare. Two guys gone... who shall they be?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
""

Myers in for McCabe... it will be interesting to see if Timmins is actually ahead of Lilly.

The other questions are McCann, Pacioretty, Jarnkrok, Reaves, Kampf, Robertson and Lorentz, Dewar.... who is actually in the real lineup?

Eight players for six spots.... five plus a spare. Two guys gone... who shall they be?

Guessing the bubble guys will play Saturday and then final cuts on Sunday?
When do they have to have the final roster set by? Wednesday?

Reactions: Roo

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
""

Jarnkrok should just go on the IR at this point

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Guessing the bubble guys will play Saturday and then final cuts on Sunday?
When do they have to have the final roster set by? Wednesday?
Teams need to be under the 23-player roster limit and $88 million salary cap by 5 p.m. ET on Oct. 7, the day before regular-season play begins in North America. (The two European dates between the Sabres and Devils this coming weekend don’t impact this deadline.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad