Training camp chat

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
It's going to be extremely difficult for anyone to make the roster outside the expected guys. I think they are likely just early callups.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
It's going to be extremely difficult for anyone to make the roster outside the expected guys. I think they are likely just early callups.

Knowing the Preds and common sense says you're probably right, but imagine a roster like this:

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
Tolvanen - Duchene - Granlund
Pitlick/Jarnkrok - Turris - Smith
Watson - Sissons - Pitlick/Jarnkrok
Carr, Grimaldi
(With Bonino traded and Salomaki/Gaudreau waived)

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Pitlick and Tolvy have looked good but I'll try not to get too excited until I see how they do during pre-season games against NHL talents.

Both of them making it would be ideal though.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder how likely it is for both Pitlick and Tolvanen to make the final roster.
Yeah, I wonder what it would actually take. I mean, the guys they are gonna knock off are like Salomaki and at the upper end Grimaldi, and those are not players getting big looks on top lines or anything. Imagine Pitlick or Tolvanen keep on keepin' on and tear up the NHL camp too. Does that actually get them a spot in a productive role on the '19-20 Preds? Or are they just in depth/pressbox roles? In which case, I can imagine the Preds just keeping their incumbents in those lesser roles and assigning Pitlick and Tolvanen to tear apart the AHL instead.

At least, that's the way I'm conditioned to think about. If things went down differently, that'd be great. Just I don't exactly see it. :dunno:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Yeah, I wonder what it would actually take. I mean, the guys they are gonna knock off are like Salomaki and at the upper end Grimaldi, and those are not players getting big looks on top lines or anything. Imagine Pitlick or Tolvanen keep on keepin' on and tear up the NHL camp too. Does that actually get them a spot in a productive role on the '19-20 Preds? Or are they just in depth/pressbox roles? In which case, I can imagine the Preds just keeping their incumbents in those lesser roles and assigning Pitlick and Tolvanen to tear apart the AHL instead.

At least, that's the way I'm conditioned to think about. If things went down differently, that'd be great. Just I don't exactly see it. :dunno:
I think I might actually want to see them both sent to mil to start the season and see if they can tear up the league if they are paired together.

Reactions: NNCbama

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
So, the overreaction is...

Tolvanen on the 1st line
Pitlick to 3rd
Davies is 2nd pairing
Fabbro is Blum v2.0

What I'd like to see...

Tolvanen to 2nd line LW pushing Granlund to 2nd line RW.
Pitlick is the extra forward
Davies to Milwaukee
Fabbro to 3rd pairing RHD

Reality...

Tolvanen to the 3rd line
Pitlick in Milwaukee
Davies to Milwaukee
Fabbro 2nd pairing RHD

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
I think reality has Tolvanen in Milwaukee also.

Hot take: If the prospects look decent enough, I think we'll see a handful of players waived but not necessarily assigned to Milwaukee immediately. This would allow Poile to assign either a "veteran" or a waiver-exempt player.

Random question: How many veterans do the Admirals have under contract? (Aka players like Tinordi, who is a NSH contract, but in no way is going to play for NSH this year)

edit: Looks like these would be the potential "vets" in Milwaukee, where we can only dress 6 them:
F: Pendenza, Schneider, Gaudreau, Carr, Grimaldi (realistically, there's no way, the last 3 are all waived simultaneously)
D: Tinordi, Donovan, Irwin

Last edited:

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Tolvenan will have to impress in camp. I think Gaudreau will be waived as we have way too many centers. If Tolvenan makes the team then it will probably be Salomaki who goes.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Tolvenan will have to impress in camp. I think Gaudreau will be waived as we have way too many centers. If Tolvenan makes the team then it will probably be Salomaki who goes.

Agreed, I can see 7 forwards fighting for 2 spots; The Cursed family of Grimaldi, The (somehoow) forelorn son that is Tolvanen, Carr, Pitlick, Gaudreau, Salomaki, Richard

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Agreed, I can see 7 forwards fighting for 2 spots; The Cursed family of Grimaldi, The (somehoow) forelorn son that is Tolvanen, Carr, Pitlick, Gaudreau, Salomaki, Richard
If it’s me, I think I would go for Tolvanen, Pitlick and Carr; waiving Gaudreau, Salomaki and Grimaldi. I mean, let the rookies play; what the heck. I’ve seen Gaudreau, Salomaki and Grimaldi. And it wasn’t all that impressive.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think it also depends at least a little on planned utilization. I mean, I don't think Tolvanen or Pitlick are best-served playing 10 minutes on the 4th line or alternating in the pressbox. They might as well be playing 1st line and 20 minutes a night in all key situations in Milwaukee. Whereas Salomaki and Grimaldi are totally fine to play on a 4th line or sit in the pressbox.

What I want to see is the minute we have an opening on the wings in our top-6, that's when Tolvanen comes up and that's where he plays.

Maybe a bit of leeway on that if we try to run a semi-scoring 3rd line as well. But ideally he only comes up if he's going to get a legit chance in a scoring role.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
why Carr over Grimaldi?

Yeah, I think dude has earned every right to be ahead of everyone else right now for that 4LW spot. I really liked what I saw from him last year, and now hope that he can build on the season he had last year and get an extended look on a scoring line.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
why Carr over Grimaldi?
Only that I’ve seen Grimaldi(and I do like his fire) and have not seen Carr. Probably a bad reason but the down side is only 2 things. One is Grimaldi gets picked up on waivers or we can call him back up and send Carr down if he’s a bust.
Both possibilities are ok.
But I could certainly go with Grimaldi depending on his camp and Carr’s camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad