GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Feasible and not that bad. Pretty much what we have now but with Roy. I'm not sure if Edmundson will take that kind of press box role or cheap money to be in that role... he's only 30 years old. So he's probably looking at a sizeable deal.

I'd rather target Montour myself because he's got a lot more offense to his game but Roy should be cheaper.
With no state tax in Florida, doubt Leafs can afford the cap hit to outbid them. Will be interesting to see how much they resign Reinhart for.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With no state tax in Florida, doubt Leafs can afford the cap hit to outbid them. Will be interesting to see how much they resign Reinhart for.

They have about 20M or so of cap space and 13 players signed. 1 RFA in Lundell. Good luck to them if they can get Montour re-signed AND Reinhart, which will take at the very minimum a combined 14M or so, very likely more.

If you ever thought the Leafs were in cap hell, Florida is in a whole other level.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Any two of Roy, DeMelo, or Tanev in the off season would significantly improve our defense.

I know it's not likely or possible, but imagine signing all three (assuming Tanev signs a team-friendly deal)

Rielly - DeMelo
McCabe - Roy
Benoit - Tanev

That would be one of the best defenses in the NHL without even having a true #1.

Reactions: SprDaVE

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They have about 20M or so of cap space and 13 players signed. 1 RFA in Lundell. Good luck to them if they can get Montour re-signed AND Reinhart, which will take at the very minimum a combined 14M or so, very likely more.
If they can get Rhino and Montour combined increases for less than the cap increase, they can let OEL walk to pay Lundell.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Yeah, I can see both Reinhart and Montour taking team friendly deals. Montour would be a nice addition though.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If they can get Rhino and Montour combined increases for less than the cap increase, they can let OEL walk to pay Lundell.

Why would they ever do that? They should fire their agents immediately if they do that. Reinhart could easily get at least 10M on the open market, if not over 11M. The guy scored 57 goals. Not sure about Montour but he's at least due for a pretty decent pay bump.

I get that there's no state tax there or whatever but they aren't gonna play for free either. I can see them taking below market value to stay sure, but it's not going to be something that will be less than 11 to 12M combined and that seems like a very low end estimate. And if they somehow get them to low end sweetheart deals, filling all the rest of the holes with cheapish players is going to be rough.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Any two of Roy, DeMelo, or Tanev in the off season would significantly improve our defense.

I know it's not likely or possible, but imagine signing all three (assuming Tanev signs a team-friendly deal)

Rielly - DeMelo
McCabe - Roy
Benoit - Tanev

That would be one of the best defenses in the NHL without even having a true #1.
That just seems like WPG jets defense which has gotten curb stomped multiple years now

Morrissey - Demelo
Schmidt - Pionk
Dillon - Samberg

And then a vezina goalie who has playoff issues in Helleybucj

I think we need to add a #1RHD (top 30D in the league) and another top 50D in the league if we are making a big strategic focus to improve our defense

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Pesce and Roy are Americans currently playing in the U.S., I think the odds of the Leafs signing either is fairly low.

I could see the Leafs taking another stab at Tanev/Zadorov in FA considering Tre tried to acquire both earlier this year.

Reactions: Al14 and Jozay

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pesce and Roy are Americans currently playing in the U.S., I think the odds of the Leafs signing either is fairly low.

I could see the Leafs taking another stab at Tanev/Zadorov in FA considering Tre tried to acquire both earlier this year.

Treliving tried really hard to get Tanev so he's definitely one I think they'll circle back on. He's from Toronto, towards the end of his career and the Leafs could use a solid RHD. He's been great for Dallas so far from my viewings, so he's got juice left in the tank but he brings zero offence.

Zero need or want for Zadorov. They need to prioritize areas of need with their limited cap space. They targetted Zadorov when the Leafs defense was decimated with injuries, they looked like crap and Benoit was pretty iffy. But they turned it around.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Treliving tried really hard to get Tanev so he's definitely one I think they'll circle back on. He's from Toronto, towards the end of his career and the Leafs could use a solid RHD. He's been great for Dallas so far from my viewings, so he's got juice left in the tank but he brings zero offence.

Zero need or want for Zadorov. They need to prioritize areas of need with their limited cap space. They targetted Zadorov when the Leafs defense was decimated with injuries, they looked like crap and Benoit was pretty iffy. But they turned it around.
I'd love Tanev, but the term has to be right. He's at the age where his play can fall off a cliff at any time and he's got a lot of miles on his body.

Adding Tanev and one of Montour or Pesce would be a dream for our blueline.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Tanev next year can be a #4 at best. Which is ok but IMO we need a #1 and a #3. Mccabe is our #4 if we want a cup level blueline.

Pesce would be a really good #3 but we'd still need to find a #1.

Reactions: Al14

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
TBH if you can land Tanev and retain Boosh, provided they are reasonable contracts, suddenly you have 2 guys that can partner with Rielly.

Not the worst outcome.

This goes along with the idea that a more legit top defender that the Leafs need just isn’t available or available for a feasible cost. So a short term bridge solution might have to work.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Leafs need more puck movement on the back end.. but ultimately if they re-up Boosh and Edmunson, I'd try to pursue Roy

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-Liljegren
Benoit-Boosh
Edmunson
Timmins

Not bad.
Does that really help with puck movement though... I mean the Rielly pairing isn't the issue with puck movement... Rielly can do it well enough.. we kind of need someone who can move the puck on every pairing, and someone who can be the physical bigger D... no?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why would they ever do that? They should fire their agents immediately if they do that. Reinhart could easily get at least 10M on the open market, if not over 11M. The guy scored 57 goals. Not sure about Montour but he's at least due for a pretty decent pay bump.

I get that there's no state tax there or whatever but they aren't gonna play for free either. I can see them taking below market value to stay sure, but it's not going to be something that will be less than 11 to 12M combined and that seems like a very low end estimate. And if they somehow get them to low end sweetheart deals, filling all the rest of the holes with cheapish players is going to be rough.
I thought $9.5m take home in Florida (no tax states) is same as $10+m?? elsewhere. Also, they may not want to pay him more than Barkov and Tkachuk. I was thinking Tkachuk deal for Reinhart. Sure cap has risen but MT > SR IMO. SR also wants to stay so they will come up with a good number for both. We'll see.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I thought $9.5m take home in Florida (no tax states) is same as $10+m?? elsewhere. Also, they may not want to pay him more than Barkov and Tkachuk. I was thinking Tkachuk deal for Reinhart. Sure cap has risen but MT > SR IMO. SR also wants to stay so they will come up with a good number for both. We'll see.

I could see 9.5M for 8 years for Reinhart, which would be a big discount. But then Montour is getting what... only 5M? Can't be less than that right? And then Lundell would be at least a good 1.5M or so at the bare minimum. So that means they just put 16M into 3 positions and they need to fill about 4 to 6 more with about 4M. The one out they have is dumping Spencer Knight, also they could look at trading Bennett for picks/prospects.

Either way, point is that I think Montour would be a good target for the Leafs and I'm not sure if Florida can keep him.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs have $16mm for about 7 players.
So if you use $5mm on a defender, there is $11mm for a goaltender and skaters.

This would definitely force them to the hangers-on, or prospects/kids.

I'm pushing for Grebenkin/Minten/Cowan/Hirvonen/Niemela being part of that group. Maybe a steal from free agency.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs have $16mm for about 7 players.
So if you use $5mm on a defender, there is $11mm for a goaltender and skaters.

This would definitely force them to the hangers-on, or prospects/kids.

I'm pushing for Grebenkin/Minten/Cowan/Hirvonen/Niemela being part of that group. Maybe a steal from free agency.

They have 16 players signed into next season that are currently on the roster at a current 69M (nice) cap hit. So they have about 18M for 4-6 players per cap friendly. Depends a lot on Webber, Greb, Minten, etc.

Robertson, Dewar and Gregor should be either re-signed for pretty cheap-ish or traded, and Liljegren will likely get mid-tier around what... 3M ish maybe? 4M if there's a lot of term?

Hopefully this time around they'll have wiggle room to accrue cap space and for call-ups.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They have 16 players signed into next season that are currently on the roster at a current 69M (nice) cap hit. So they have about 18M for 4-6 players per cap friendly. Depends a lot of Webber, Greb, Minten, etc.

Robertson, Dewar and Gregor should be either re-signed for pretty cheap-ish or traded, and Liljegren will likely get mid-tier around what... 3M ish maybe? 4M if there's a lot of term?

Hopefully this time around they'll have wiggle room to accrue cap space and for call-ups.
That 16 includes Cade Webber, but just swap out Niemela for him ... I'd be shocked if Webber is a NHLer. Be shocked if he's a good AHLer.
22 players is operational minimum, but if they have waiver exempt players who can play, they can be yo-yo'd.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Tanev next year can be a #4 at best. Which is ok but IMO we need a #1 and a #3. Mccabe is our #4 if we want a cup level blueline.

Pesce would be a really good #3 but we'd still need to find a #1.
Exactly right. We need Rielly to be a solid #3, where he belongs.

Also, with Tanev's injury history, who knows when another injury shelves him for some time.

JMHO.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
They have 16 players signed into next season that are currently on the roster at a current 69M (nice) cap hit. So they have about 18M for 4-6 players per cap friendly. Depends a lot on Webber, Greb, Minten, etc.

They also have an excess of forwards, and would still be lacking defensive minded forwards who can penalty kill. Aside from the big moves, I think some depth will be shipped out for a better mix up front, or D so you can sign those guys up front.

Leafs4Life77

Sep 30, 2009
Exactly right. We need Rielly to be a solid #3, where he belongs.

Also, with Tanev's injury history, who knows when another injury shelves him for some time.

JMHO.

There are not 60+ defenseman better than Morgan Rielly and there is absolutely no chance we're getting 2 guys better than him.

Rielly.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3