GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

They aren't wrong its just want option do they have? It's the reason why I was saying trade Nylander but they resigned him. Now for any meaningful change you turn to JT and Marner expiring. Otherwise it's just shuffling chairs which is what they've been doing for 5 years now

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Management, likely. Players, unlikely.

Things could actually get worse. Imagine missing the playoffs next season and winning the lottery when we have no 1st round pick. Not an impossible outcome with no Marner on the team, assuming he was open to a trade.
The 1st is top 10 protected - it becomes a 2026 2nd if the pick is in the top 10.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I’m not against Marner. I personally think he will want out.

CJ said that that situation is coming to a head and this is the situation is one to watch. He said that they will both look for a solution this summer (barring a miracle comeback and deep run).

Reactions: Clark4Ever

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
They aren't wrong its just want option do they have? It's the reason why I was saying trade Nylander but they resigned him. Now for any meaningful change you turn to JT and Marner expiring. Otherwise it's just shuffling chairs which is what they've been doing for 5 years now
Exactly.

Mitch Marner is not alone here. He's far from the only one that is struggling and has struggled. The one glaring difference, as you point out, is his contract status. He's the only one with a realistic pathway to allow for change other than Tavares, who should be a gimme to move on from.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Marner...
#1PP
#1PK
on last min protecting a lead
on last min when we need a goal

Seriously, Marner isnt the problem, its Keefe, and always has been.
Keefe determines the style we play and the players positioning
Keefe sets the lines
Keefe determines the line matchups, and really really sucks on home ice, never getting our top players out vs 4th lines, and starts line 3-4 in the o-zone
Keefe ultimately accepts the PP and PK formations
Keefe always does all of the above wrong

Reactions: nuck

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Marner...
#1PP
#1PK
on last min protecting a lead
on last min when we need a goal

Seriously, Marner isnt the problem, its Keefe, and always has been.
Keefe determines the style we play and the players positioning
Keefe sets the lines
Keefe determines the line matchups, and really really sucks on home ice, never getting our top players out vs 4th lines, and starts line 3-4 in the o-zone
Keefe ultimately accepts the PP and PK formations
Keefe always does all of the above wrong
I'm pretty sure Keefe was brought back to buy Trev a year, I'm pretty sure they'll be a new coach this year to assess the big three but if they can't move JT it will make it interesting from a player perspective.

Shanny and Keefe gone, might buy another year with the fan base but i've seen a lot of systemic issues with this core to think otherwise. they need an emotional leader in place of Tavares to change the culture imo.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The stats speak for themselves. Marner isn't the sole issue. The Leafs absolutely need to move on but he shouldn't be the only one on the way out.
Well, 5 goals in his last 35 or so playoff games is quite bad. But I agree here, and it should be Tavares.

But supposedly, he's a good leader and can help with younger players (in setting up NY bank accounts).

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'm pretty sure Keefe was brought back to buy Trev a year, I'm pretty sure they'll be a new coach this year to assess the big three but if they can't move JT it will make it interesting from a player perspective.

Shanny and Keefe gone, might buy another year with the fan base but i've seen a lot of systemic issues with this core to think otherwise. they need an emotional leader in place of Tavares to change the culture imo.
what they need is a proper defense ...think about it, since Reilly, only Lil is a drafted player on our Roster, thats beyond bad. and not having drafted even one that projects to top pairing since Reilly (and I wasnt a fan of him as a pick either, I wanted Forsberg, OR a move back to grab Vassy, but, that is always a risk that someone grabs him before your pick).

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Well, 5 goals in his last 35 or so playoff games is quite bad. But I agree here, and it should be Tavares.

But supposedly, he's a good leader and can help with younger players (in setting up NY bank accounts).
I haven't seen anyone say that as the reason Tavares' should return. I'm not sure I've even seen anyone say Tavares should return.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
If Jets don't come back I do think Tavares would be a great fit there
Something like Schief and Pionk for JT and Lil

Leafs take on the term of Schief , get a RHD with a shot
Jets get a 'leader' who fits into their style, win face offs go to the front of the net

the other one I was thinking was Mtl, Anderson or Gallaghar and Savard for JT
Mtl probably adds but leafs split up JT contract for players that fit Tre's style...but with term again
Mtl get longterm cap space back but also a good vet for the young team

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If Jets don't come back I do think Tavares would be a great fit there
Something like Schief and Pionk for JT and Lil

Leafs take on the term of Schief , get a RHD with a shot
Jets get a 'leader' who fits into their style, win face offs go to the front of the net

the other one I was thinking was Mtl, Anderson or Gallaghar and Savard for JT
Mtl probably adds but leafs split up JT contract for players that fit Tre's style...but with term again
Mtl get longterm cap space back but also a good vet for the young team
There's no way they move off Scheifele for that, they probably wouldn't deal Pionk for Tavares alone. At this point as a Leafs fan I'd jump at the opportunity of Iaffalo for Tavares. Take the 7M in cap space and sign Montour.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
There's no way they move off Scheifele for that, they probably wouldn't deal Pionk for Tavares alone. At this point as a Leafs fan I'd jump at the opportunity of Iaffalo for Tavares. Take the 7M in cap space and sign Montour.
I don't know, 6 more years at 8.5 for a 31 year old who i've heard has some chemistry issues. It's a bad contract imo but I'm thinking leafs will try and retool but they might not even want it either

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I don't know, 6 more years at 8.5 for a 31 year old who i've heard has some chemistry issues. It's a bad contract imo but I'm thinking leafs will try and retool but they might not even want it either
He just signed it. The contract doesn't start until next season and he's their leading scorer.

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
That's a great question that nobody can answer. I don't know that he'd waive at all.

I mean... we approach him and tell him we are going to be making changes, that the current core didn't work out... and that he'll continue to be a third line RW on this team next year.... that they like the Domi-Matthews combo and Tavares-Nylander combo... Legitimately, it makes sense for us to go down this road for now... and if his opportunities are going to go down in a contract year, that's not a positive for him either.
If that doesn't work, leak to the press that he isn't in the long term plans and they had to pass up a good trade because he wouldn't waive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan