Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Well he does play C, so there is that. A fourth line of Dewar Holmberg Lorentz could work for us, so could Dewar Lorentz McMann if we want to play Holmberg in the top nine, not something we say often about Kampf.

It could also be a line get Cowan, Grebenkin and Minten some reps.

Holmberg was on pace for like 28 point last year. Put Kampf on LW in the top-9 and he quite easily matches that.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Holmberg was on pace for like 28 point last year. Put Kampf on LW in the top-9 and he quite easily matches that.
Well, Holmberg is five years younger than Kampf and has played less than 100 games in his career. His 82 game point pace is greater than any single season Kampf has ever had.

It's not like Holmberg had lots of top six minutes last year. He certainly looks like he might have an offensive upside Kampf clearly does not have.

Reactions: Zero1 and horner

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Well, Holmberg is five years younger than Kampf and has played less than 100 games in his career. His 82 game point pace is greater than any single season Kampf has ever had.

He’s 4 years younger… and his limited experience is based on his inability to make a roster. That roster was in desperate need of young and cheap talent, so his failure to crack it is particularly telling.

It's not like Holmberg had lots of top six minutes last year. He certainly looks like he might have an offensive upside Kampf clearly does not have.

Playing wing eliminates most of a player’s defensive responsibilities, which makes scoring easier.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
He’s 4 years younger… and his limited experience is based on his inability to make a roster. That roster was in desperate need of young and cheap talent, so his failure to crack it is particularly telling.
Ok, he's four years younger. He makes way less and has outscored him over their careers. He has shown offensive flashes we haven't seen from Kampf.

Reactions: SprDaVE

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
While McMann may be the 4th best of the bunch, and even be the one best suited for 4th line duty, he’s most needed in the middle-6.

Tavares and Nylander can’t be flanked by two non-physical and/or defensively inept wingers.
I don’t think defensively inept wingers will be tolerated on this team, everyone is going to have to step up their defensive game under Berube…….

Reactions: conFABulator

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Ok, he's four years younger. He makes way less and has outscored him over their careers. He has shown offensive flashes we haven't seen from Kampf.

Outscoring doesn’t mean better, not even if you just want to compare offensive numbers.

You’ve seen offensive flashes that Kampf has never been in a position to show. He’s always had a very specific role, which doesn’t really allow to offensive play. As I said, but him on the wing in an offensive role and he’d put up more points.

A strategically placed garbage can would get 20 point playing with Matthews and Marner…

Beyond that, there’s a lot more to the game than scoring. That’s why Robertson can’t stick. A guy who scores 10 and saves 5 goals against is bette than a guy who scores 20 and causes 10 against.

I don’t think defensively inept wingers will be tolerated on this team, everyone is going to have to step up their defensive game under Berube…….

Ok, so Domi, Robertson, and patches are all going to be cut?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You’ve seen offensive flashes that Kampf has never been in a position to show. He’s always had a very specific role, which doesn’t really allow to offensive play. As I said, but him on the wing in an offensive role and he’d put up more points.

A strategically placed garbage can would get 20 point playing with Matthews and Marner…

I am not sure what point is being made here. Kampf has not had the opportunity to produce possibly because he has not earned that opportunity. I don't believe many in the organization that there is offensive upside for Kampf.

I would like to see what Holmberg can bring with an opportunity with scoring linematees for an extended period.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

No, but they’ll need to step up their defensive game……..

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I am not sure what point is being made here. Kampf has not had the opportunity to produce possibly because he has not earned that opportunity. I don't believe many in the organization that there is offensive upside for Kampf.

The point is you can’t compare point totals between players in vastly different roles and think that’s a real comparison of their offensive abilities.

I would like to see what Holmberg can bring with an opportunity with scoring linematees for an extended period.

He would have to earn it first, which seems very unlikely.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The point is you can’t compare point totals between players in vastly different roles and think that’s a real comparison of their offensive abilities.

He would have to earn it first, which seems very unlikely.
Correct.
He has been showing that preseason.
He has not hit his ceiling, Kampf has.

This year we should know, although Hyman didn't hit his ceiling in Toronto.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Outscoring doesn’t mean better, not even if you just want to compare offensive numbers.

Beyond that, there’s a lot more to the game than scoring. That’s why Robertson can’t stick. A guy who scores 10 and saves 5 goals against is bette than a guy who scores 20 and causes 10 against.

We've tried Kampf a few times at 3C but he hasn't been able to produce, so I don't think it's lack of opportunity. He played a decent amount with Kase, Mik and Engvall back when he first signed. Next season was Engvall and Kerfoot. Honestly they've overplayed him what seems like every year hoping the scoring justifies a 3rd line spot.

He has a role, but his cap hit isn't something we can afford and Reaves also makes it tough to deploy a fourth line defensively

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
We've tried Kampf a few times at 3C but he hasn't been able to produce, so I don't think it's lack of opportunity. He played a decent amount with Kase, Mik and Engvall back when he first signed. Next season was Engvall and Kerfoot. Honestly they've overplayed him what seems like every year hoping the scoring justifies a 3rd line spot.

Kampf was fine as the 3c. Scoring was a tad below average for that spot, but not by a lot.

The fact that people thought the solution at 3c was to pay Wennberg… who scores like 5 points more demonstrates that.

He has a role, but his cap hit isn't something we can afford and Reaves also makes it tough to deploy a fourth line defensively

Cap mismanagement isn’t Kampf’s fault. Roster construction is a problem too, but Kampf is more important than Reaves. You don’t drop him to make room for someone less valuable.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Kampf was fine as the 3c. Scoring was a tad below average for that spot, but not by a lot.

The fact that people thought the solution at 3c was to pay Wennberg… who scores like 5 points more demonstrates that.

No.

Cap mismanagement isn’t Kampf’s fault. Roster construction is a problem too, but Kampf is more important than Reaves. You don’t drop him to make room for someone less valuable.

This much I agree with.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

You're adding some unnecessary noise with the Wennberg comment. Kampfs scoring doesn't justify a 3rd line spot and he has limited offensive abilities. You want more then mid 20 points from your 3C

I'm happy to dump Reaves, run a strong defensive line with Kampf, Jarn and Dewar, but I don't see it in the cards. Even then id still swap Holmberg for Kampf ideally and take the cap savings on our 4th line

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Too many people have a skewed view of what 3rd liners are supposed to produce.

Colorado won the Cup with TJ Compher scoring 27 even strength points in 71 games as their 3rd line C. Vegan had Eichel, Karlsson, and Stephenson, but they often played wing with each other, so Nicolas Roy was their equivalent 3rd C and they won with him scoring 23 even strength points, Florida just won with Anton Lundell scoring 29 even strength points.

You're adding some unnecessary noise with the Wennberg comment. Kampfs scoring doesn't justify a 3rd line spot and he has limited offensive abilities. You want more then mid 20 points from your 3C

Teams seems to win Cups with 25-30 even strength point 3Cs.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Kampf and Jarnkrok can’t play on the fourth line because
Berube wants to have a hit everything in sight physical line

Lorentz reaves dewar can be that type of line
Lorentz looked good killing penalties so that is an option.

Jarnkrok and kampf are now redundant and we can use that 4.5 to get another top forward or good dman

Berube wants us to have a physical identity. Not so much fighting just getting involved

Domi knies matthews Tavares mcmann Lorentz reaves
Benoit McCabe OEL Tanev dewar patches all can be physical to a degree

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad