• I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Alex nylander will amount to nothing and will just be a Marlies player

Meh. Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. I don’t see why the negativity though.

His tenure in Columbus at minimum proved there could be untapped potential there.

I don’t think people should be penciling him into NHL lineups but I don’t think it’d be all that shocking if he earns an NHL deal and does well here either.

Shouldn’t everyone be rooting for that?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
What would McCabe's new contract look like? 5 x 5?
Probably 5x5 if we dont try to save on AAV by giving more term at 4M x 7

Hes a solid #4 and a goold player. But dont know if we should be committing 5-7 years for this defensive core tbh

Rielly has 6 years, Tanev 6 years, McCabe if he got 5-7 would lock us into that group which I am not confident is good enough.

Hopefully we can be aggresive and upgrade on McCabe via a trade and then offer an OEL type deal if he wants to come back

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not every move needs to be about the D corps on it's own. We can make moves up front, that gives us flexibility to make those D changes you want. in the next move. 3D chess so to speak.

They can be over 10% in off-season?

But yes, if they're already at the Ceiling, they have to make more than 1 move, although if they moved out an existing defender for a better defender.

Say Liljegren and Robertson for Player X, then they can add some Cap to the D-Corps.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I had edited the NHL to AHL… one of the moderators lacked a sense of humour and changed it back. I mean, that’s all it was, humour… nobody insulted, nothing rude. Nothing offside.
I thought it was cute, so I edited it back ... we can't laugh together?

1723302130836.png

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They can be over 10% in off-season?

But yes, if they're already at the Ceiling, they have to make more than 1 move, although if they moved out an existing defender for a better defender.

Say Liljegren and Robertson for Player X, then they can add some Cap to the D-Corps.

You quoted me from June, prior to the draft and free agency. The problem now is there really isn’t anyone left to sign who is an upgrade over anybody, and we lack the trade currency to make an upgrade… all under the assumption that Marner et al are off the table. I think at this point, all there is left is figuring out Hakanpaa, Robertson, Steeves and maybe a PTO.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You quoted me from June, prior to the draft and free agency. The problem now is there really isn’t anyone left to sign who is an upgrade over anybody, and we lack the trade currency to make an upgrade… all under the assumption that Marner et al are off the table. I think at this point, all there is left is figuring out Hakanpaa, Robertson, Steeves and maybe a PTO.

I was thinking trade more than free agency.
Might still be some UFA's for depth, but it would be nice to see some futures developed.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I was thinking trade more than free agency.
Might still be some UFA's for depth, but it would be nice to see some futures developed.

I was also on the trade Marner BEFORE free agency if we were going to move him. I couldn't see a trade where we would get fair value back, I did imagine some scenarios where we got DECENT value + CAP SPACE that really only has value while we could spend it.

I liked the Wright + Oleksiak/Larsson + Draft Pick scenario. This structure would have given us $6M in space and that could have been used on Roy, for example.

Then we are saying OUT: Marner and IN: Wright, Oleksiak, Roy and whoever we sign with OEL'S money (and we still sign Tanev).

Anyway, we are obviously past that now and maybe Seattle wouldn't have done that and probably Mitch wouldn't have waived. This is how trading Marner could have possibly made us better.

I don't see a Marner trade that could make us better now. Maybe something with Utah, maybe.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
4-5ish mil over 5-8 years

I think he extends sooner than later with Tre

Don’t people know how hold McCabe is? He’s 31 when this season starts.

Do we really want to lock into the declining years of a player who was never a no-doubt top-4 defenseman in his prime?

He has a few good years for us, mostly because he was cheap. He’s not a smart player, and that has always prevented him from sticking in a top-4 role. Once he’s no longer cheap, the warts will become glaring.

Reactions: HomelessPepper

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Don’t people know how hold McCabe is? He’s 31 when this season starts.

Do we really want to lock into the declining years of a player who was never a no-doubt top-4 defenseman in his prime?

He has a few good years for us, mostly because he was cheap. He’s not a smart player, and that has always prevented him from sticking in a top-4 role. Once he’s no longer cheap, the warts will become glaring.

Okay. Don't disagree, so where do they turn?

Rielly - Tanev
OEL - Liljegren
Benoit - Niemela

At this point, Niemela is the unknown.

It would be great to see Mattinen (RH) force himself into the line-up.

Reactions: arso40

Chief Leaf

Dec 10, 2009
I was also on the trade Marner BEFORE free agency if we were going to move him. I couldn't see a trade where we would get fair value back, I did imagine some scenarios where we got DECENT value + CAP SPACE that really only has value while we could spend it.

I liked the Wright + Oleksiak/Larsson + Draft Pick scenario. This structure would have given us $6M in space and that could have been used on Roy, for example.

Then we are saying OUT: Marner and IN: Wright, Oleksiak, Roy and whoever we sign with OEL'S money (and we still sign Tanev).

Anyway, we are obviously past that now and maybe Seattle wouldn't have done that and probably Mitch wouldn't have waived. This is how trading Marner could have possibly made us better.

I don't see a Marner trade that could make us better now. Maybe something with Utah, maybe.
What if we traded ($15.616 million out) - W. Nylander(11.5m) A. Nylander ( Signed @1.2 Mil for 2 years), Jarnkrock (2.1m) Minten (816K) and our 2027 1st to Utah for: ($10.175 million back)
Keller (7.15m) Bjugstad (2.1m) Doan (925K)

This would gives us $5.144 mil in cap space.

The front line up would look like this:

Keller- Matthews - Marner
Knies - Bjugstad - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Doan
Kampf - Dewar - Holmberg

Reeves (tradeable possibly)
Robertson ( tradeable possibly )
Cowan (keepable)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What if we traded ($15.616 million out) - W. Nylander(11.5m) A. Nylander ( Signed @1.2 Mil for 2 years), Jarnkrock (2.1m) Minten (816K) and our 2027 1st to Utah for: ($10.175 million back)

Knies - Bjugstad - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Doan
Kampf - Dewar - Holmberg

Cowan (keepable)

I think the better target to move out would be Matthews.

He's only scored 3 more points than Nylander in the past 5 playoffs, and scored 4 less goals.

Who are you going to get a bigger haul from?
And while Matthews is from Arizona, that franchise doesn't exist today, but like the Gretzky trade it is more than just the on-ice product you'd be selling in the USofA.

You don't get McDavid, but how many other players don't you get? Makar?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Knies - Bjugstad - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Doan
Kampf - Dewar - Holmberg

Cowan (keepable)

Since you are asking my opinion. I don't think we trade Nylander, doesn't sort of force us keep Marner? Alex Nylander has NO TRADE VALUE and would also not warrant a two year NHL commitment above minimum.

I like Keller, but that seems like a lot hom and Doan. Bjugstad is not a #2C on a good team.

What are we doing with that cap space this season? We are worse this year as a result of this trade. We can't be making ourselves worse any of the years in this window.

Something around Marner for Keller + could work but I think we need to try to Marner into a young D man in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad