Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
With Robertson looking for a change of scenery, I’d look at Detroit and make a deal around Robertson for Veleno. Both players have more to give than they currently have and both could probably use a change of scenery.

To Toronto: Joe Veleno
To Detroit: Nick Robertson

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Veleno - Nylander
Holmberg - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
Ekman-Larsson - McCabe
Benoit - Liljegren

Woll - Stolarz

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
With Robertson looking for a change of scenery, I’d look at Detroit and make a deal around Robertson for Veleno. Both players have more to give than they currently have and both could probably use a change of scenery.

To Toronto: Joe Veleno
To Detroit: Nick Robertson

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Jarnkrok - Veleno - Nylander
Holmberg - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
Ekman-Larsson - McCabe
Benoit - Liljegren

Woll - Stolarz
It's not terrible and this is one of the more realistic trades. But why not just keep Robertson and use Holmberg at 3C?

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Robertson - Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Reactions: aingefan

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Yep. $4.5M less two replacement salaries...gives just under $3M to spend. Who is our there FA or trade that is a fit and an upgrade at $3M or less?

I do think Dewar can give us a lot of what Kampf does at a lower cost and that maybe Holmberg could be groomed to be a Jarnkrok with more offense? This does open up two roster spots and maybe this is how we see Cowan and Grebyonkin get a shot.

Robertson. Matthews. Domi
Tavares Marner. Knies
Holmberg. Nylander. Grebenkin
Cowan. Dewar. McMann
Reaves

Gives us a chance to develop some kids on ELC and free up space for the TDL and next year. Maybe add a dman via trade in Haakanpaa is injured.
It's $4.5M less one replacement salary, so about $3.5M+ to spend (hypothetically).

Reactions: Jmo89

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Liljegren might actually be traded.

There doesn't seem to be any feasible way to change the forward group otherwise. Timmins who was the odd man out would have a role again as you still have 3 RH and a back up puck mover.

Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - Hakanpaa
Timmins

^ This doesn't seem like much of a drop off from having Liljegren. Allows you to continue developing Timmins (Really good toolset and upside, bent over backwards to keep him off waivers last season).

But, there is nuance to this. Liljegren is still an asset. He is a coveted right hander and provides cost certainty and untapped upside for 2 years. The signing makes sense as a back up plan and as an enticing piece to move. Leafs are cap compliant and under no pressure to move off salary which is in their favor.
Trade Liljegren + Niemela to Seattle for Adam Larsson

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Larsson - Shutdown Pair
OEL - Hakanpaa

Other teams would have a real hard time getting through Tanev, Larsson and Hakanpaa on that right side. It also has some nice offensive upside.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
It's not terrible and this is one of the more realistic trades. But why not just keep Robertson and use Holmberg at 3C?

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Robertson - Holmberg - Nylander
Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok
I think Holmberg is better on the wing than as a center in the NHL. Veleno is also a bigger body down the middle and plays with more of an edge than Holmberg.

And then you have the fact Robertson wants out, I’d rather not keep a player who wants to be moved around.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
you do know 3 of those guys have little to no experience killing penalties at the NHL level, and you expect that to be a good PK? also only 2 center's who win at 45 and 46 percent.
McMann, Holmberg, Knies have barely played in the NHL. They have all PK'd in the past.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
???? Are we trading for granlund?

He should be expendable but I don’t think I could possibly hate a trade candidate more.

I'll say I am not an insider but heard there was interest from someone I trust.

The first thing that came to mind was the cap doesn't work and they've used all 3 retention slots. I don't know when the conversation was had or how serious it is.

It makes me think that it might be a trade deadline conversation more than anything.

I checked San Jose Sharks roster and holy crap is there a lot of forwards, especially with Celebrini signing.

Reactions: Metroid

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Are you suggesting that keeping the same penalty killers will improve the PK?

no this is why I've stated all spring and into the summer our top need upfront was a 3c who could produce 30-40 points but was good defensively both 5on5 and the PK, sadly that wasn't addressed to this point we decided to sign Domi instead who doesn't really fill a need.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Have been too busy to post here recently, but I'm curious. What was the "usual suspects" response to 57 goal Reinhardt signing for (lol) 8.6x8 while Nylander signed for 11.5x8? I'm late to the game.

But I'm extraordinarily interested in hearing what the 'you know who's' had to say on the matter.

Reactions: andora

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Have been too busy to post here recently, but I'm curious. What was the "usual suspects" response to 57 goal Reinhardt signing for (lol) 8.6x8 while Nylander signed for 11.5x8? I'm late to the game.

But I'm extraordinarily interested in hearing what the 'you know who's' had to say on the matter.

Funny I just looked today too

Reinhart still takes home more money according to cap friendly income tax calculators.

Which I’m sure you won’t bother to check

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Funny I just looked today too

Reinhart still takes home more money according to cap friendly income tax calculators.

Which I’m sure you won’t bother to check
Then every single one of us is a flat out idiot for following the nhl and being a fan of a Canadian team. What's the point? If we have to pay our 40 goal players 11.5 and other teams can pay their 57 goal players 8.6 (the team that just won the cup) then this is a lost cause.

Like, why are even you here? I think your excuse is bullshit... I don't think the players will willing hand over their tax advantage to billionaire owners at the expense of themselves. I think they will want to be paid percentages of cap compared to other players, and if they pay less taxes, then good for them.

But fine. Let's accept your fairy tale world for a moment where millionaire players hand off their tax rate advantage to billionaire owners.

Why do you even follow this league? Why do you follow the Maple Leafs? We're talking about an insurmountable advantage. No amount of good general managing can overcome us having to pay 40 goal players 11.5 million while other teams pay 57 goal players 8.5

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Then every single one of us is a flat out idiot for following the nhl and being a fan of a Canadian team. What's the point? If we have to pay our 40 goal players 11.5 and other teams can pay their 57 goal players 8.6 (the team that just won the cup) then this is a lost cause.

Like, why are even you here? I think your excuse is bullshit... I don't think the players will willing hand over their tax advantage to billionaire owners at the expense of themselves. I think they will want to be paid percentages of cap compared to other players, and if they pay less taxes, then good for them.

But fine. Let's accept your fairy tale world for a moment where millionaire players hand off their tax rate to billionaire owners.

Why do you even follow this league? Why do you follow the Maple Leafs? We're talking about an insurmountable advantage. No amount of good general managing can overcome us having to pay 40 goal players 11.5 million while other teams pay 57 goal players 8.5

Also changing the goal posts quite a bit.

First we hear "Cap % hit" for our players and now how many years later, Reinhart is signing for significantly less than Marner did like 5 years ago. Now it's tax rate.

Reactions: Americanadian

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I think Holmberg is better on the wing than as a center in the NHL. Veleno is also a bigger body down the middle and plays with more of an edge than Holmberg.

And then you have the fact Robertson wants out, I’d rather not keep a player who wants to be moved around.
I agree Veleno is a better 3C then Holmberg but not at the expense of Robertson who I regard as a future 30 goal scorer.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Also changing the goal posts quite a bit.

First we hear "Cap % hit" for our players and now how many years later, Reinhart is signing for significantly less than Marner did like 5 years ago. Now it's tax rate.

Not at all. These are connected. The going rate for star players was 14% (13.5-14.5). In high tax markets

And 11.5 ish (11.25-12.25) in low tax markets. Those cap hits made the same take home.

It’s the same thing.

Who knows how post Covid will go. But Elias P signed for. 13.84% and pasta signed for 13.64 (mid tax).

We will see

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I wouldn't mind grabbing Doan out of Utah. Its looks he is ready to jump to the NHL, and he is a right handed power forward.
Now that they have moved to Utah, the Doan connection to the franchise is irrelevant.
And his father is part of Leaf management.

Reactions: Rocker13

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

But fine. Let's accept your fairy tale world for a moment where millionaire players hand off their tax rate to billionaire owners.

Prove your theory.

High tax markets: Marleau. Thornton. Kopitar. Doughty. Panarin. Price. Tavares. Petterson. Pasta. Matthews. Marner. Karlson.

All signed for 13.5-15% aav

No no tax player ever signed for 13.5%

Barkov/bob 12.27. Benn I think was the highest at 13ish?

Many Tampa players signed for 11-12

why are they all signing for less?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not at all. These are connected. The going rate for star players was 14% (13.5-14.5). In high tax markets

And 11.5 ish (11.25-12.25) in low tax markets. Those cap hits made the same take home.

It’s the same thing.

Who knows how post Covid will go. But Elias P signed for. 13.84% and pasta signed for 13.64 (mid tax).

We will see

Do you think 13.14M for 7 years with heavy signing bonuses was there for Nylander on July 1st?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad