Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
One of the elite defensive centers. I realize he doesn't score enough to actually get votes for the Selke.

????

IMG_6015.jpeg
IMG_6016.jpeg

Reactions: Menzinger

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Assuming you don't carry any extra players all season, that's accurate.

Who's on the PK?
Marner, Dewar, Holmberg, McMann, Knies

You’re missing Marner. If he wasn’t in the picture we’d either have a lot more cap space or other forwards in the mix
I accidentally put Domi twice instead of Marner. It's the same story as far as cap space.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
What do you think this shows?

Kampf Bad.

Dewar Better.

I mean do you get something else from this? You have eyes, you can read. You don’t need me to spell it out for you. Kampf is not and never has been a “Selke level” defensive centre. When he was making sub-$2 million he was a useful player. Now he’s an anchor who makes too much for what he brings.

I mean f*** you don’t even need a stats card. The eye test is sufficient enough. Kampf has adequate defensive chops but he’s also soft, slow, and serves no purpose if his line isn’t tailor-made to be a shutdown line. You can build one without him for cheaper.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
The most common idea thrown around is just move Kampf and Jarnkrok. Moving out both Kampf and Jarnkrok gives you 3.5 million.... but to fill 2 roster spots, one of which will be at least 775,000. That means, at the absolute most, you get 2,875,000 to replace Kampf at 3C.... which means you aren't really upgrading....
Kampf makes 2.4
Janrok makes 2.1
That’s 4.5

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Kampf makes 2.4
Janrok makes 2.1
That’s 4.5
Yep. $4.5M less two replacement salaries...gives just under $3M to spend. Who is our there FA or trade that is a fit and an upgrade at $3M or less?

I do think Dewar can give us a lot of what Kampf does at a lower cost and that maybe Holmberg could be groomed to be a Jarnkrok with more offense? This does open up two roster spots and maybe this is how we see Cowan and Grebyonkin get a shot.

Robertson. Matthews. Domi
Tavares Marner. Knies
Holmberg. Nylander. Grebenkin
Cowan. Dewar. McMann
Reaves

Gives us a chance to develop some kids on ELC and free up space for the TDL and next year. Maybe add a dman via trade in Haakanpaa is injured.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Liljegren isn’t bad either, despite all efforts to tear him down.

He’s just a young player who has had both good and bad stretches and should improve and become more consistent with more experience.
196 games is a pretty good amount of time to show what you are, I mean it’s almost halfway to qualifying for a NHL pension……..

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Liljegren might actually be traded.

There doesn't seem to be any feasible way to change the forward group otherwise. Timmins who was the odd man out would have a role again as you still have 3 RH and a back up puck mover.

Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - Hakanpaa
Timmins

^ This doesn't seem like much of a drop off from having Liljegren. Allows you to continue developing Timmins (Really good toolset and upside, bent over backwards to keep him off waivers last season).

But, there is nuance to this. Liljegren is still an asset. He is a coveted right hander and provides cost certainty and untapped upside for 2 years. The signing makes sense as a back up plan and as an enticing piece to move. Leafs are cap compliant and under no pressure to move off salary which is in their favor.

Reactions: ToneDog

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Liljegren might actually be traded.

There doesn't seem to be any feasible way to change the forward group otherwise. Timmins who was the odd man out would have a role again as you still have 3 RH and a back up puck mover.

Rielly - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - Hakanpaa
Timmins

^ This doesn't seem like much of a drop off from having Liljegren. Allows you to continue developing Timmins (Really good toolset and upside, bent over backwards to keep him off waivers last season).

But, there is nuance to this. Liljegren is still an asset. He is a coveted right hander and provides cost certainty and untapped upside for 2 years. The signing makes sense as a back up plan and as an enticing piece to move. Leafs are cap compliant and under no pressure to move off salary which is in their favor.
I think it is possible they trade Liljegren. He received a 2.4M signing bonus and now only makes 3.6M over the next 2 seasons. That will help sell a trade.

You could make the argument that Liljegren could be the odd man out if Hakanpaa is healthy. Not only do we have Timmins, but Philippe Myers on a 775K contract would be a nice #7 defenseman. I think he might be protected instead. Myers, Hakanpaa, Benoit and McCabe in a team's top 7 has enough snot.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I think we sign DeWar and that wraps up the offseason until Robertson eventually caves. Well waive, Murray, Timmins, and someone like Reaves

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If Dewar is looking for 1.4 million or whatever the projected arbitration total was, get f***ed IMO. I wouldn’t go past 1.1 million, he’s a replaceable 4th liner.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
So let’s say the leafs trade a combination of
kampf, jancrork, reaves, Liljegren you pick the combination you want. What kind of value are they returning and who are you bringing to replace them that makes the team better and different?

Leafs have a 2nd round pick next season no 1st, 3rd or 4th. Unless they are trading 2026 first or Cowan I don’t see them upgrading a lot. There are no free agents. This is the team going forward unless a Marner trade happens. There’s nothing they can do that can change how this team looks from now till training camp. They will have the same stink as previous years.

Reactions: andora

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If everyone is healthy and signed for day #1, Toronto has about 2.05M to sign Robertson and Dewar, with Dewar electing arbitration. It's hard to imagine that is enough for a player that wants out and a player that has arb rights. It would be interesting to see what the next move would be if they came in at contracts higher than the amount left after the obvious demotions. A move would be forced upon them, injury may mean this never happens, but I would be interested in what their next move would be.

Waiver list
Timmins, Myers, Mermis, Rifai, Murray, Steeves and Abruzzese

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Leafs trade Tavares
Chicago trades Jones

Leafs trade Marner, Robertson, Liljegren, OEL, Minten, 1st, 1st
Columbus trades Werenski, Jenner, Laine*
*Columbus retains 50%

Laine(4.25)/Matthews(13.5)/Nylander(11.5)
Knies(1)/Jenner(3.75)/Cowan (1)
McMann(1.25)/Domi(3.75)/Jarnkrok(2)
Holmberg(1)/Kampf(2.5)/Dewar(1)
*Reaves (1.35)

Wierenski(9.5)/Jones(9.5)
Rielly(7.5)/Tanev(4.5)
McCabe(2)/Benoit(1.25)
*Hapankaa(1.5)

Stolarz (2.5)
Woll (1)

Total = 87.1

Ad