Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Robertson/DeWar are the outstanding moves. Otherwise, we might be done here. Maybe someone like Reaves is given away if there's a taker

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's also disingenuous to over exaggerate the work that's been done.

"Half the goaltending" = adding a backup with a career high 28GP.

"Half the D core" = a 33 year old and 34 year old, one of which is likely bottom pair. Hakanpaa, a likely 6/7, may not even play and if he does, is coming off a major injury at 32.

And if we're smart with their development, Cowan should return to London and Minten should bake in he AHL. Grebyonkin is a more likely option, but 15+15 would be a dream for any of them.

So the vastly different team (on-ice) you're describing is Brodie for Tanev + some tinkering at the peripheries of the roster.

I didn’t exaggerate a single thing I wrote.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Can someone explain to me why it would be Willy as a c over Marner?

Marner is one of the best 2 way players in the game and one of the best passers.

Domi works with Matthews.

Why not Marner as 2 c?
He hasn’t played C since early junior, and was moved to wing in London because he wasn’t good as a C. Meanwhile Nylander plays C when he suits up for his national team, so he’s shown he can do it at a high Level.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Tre seems to have put a lot of cost certainty into the near future of the team on the blue line and in net. With JT and Marner expiring next year, there is cap to make 1 major blue line addition and revamp the core forward group.

Still, this offseason seems more the same.. which likely won't end well.
Thats one thing I like about this offseason, we didnt sign any major contracts that could become anchors (Tanev maybe but LTIRetire is more likely), and that gives us so much flexibility when Marner and Tavares could potentially expire giving us $11 million each, plus a rising cap

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Rob Fabbri was practically given away yesterday. He was sent to Anaheim, along with a 4th, for an awful ECHL goalie. It was a cap dump (4 million), but this guy can still put up 20 goals when not injured. I guess the injuries were too extreme. This guy may be a good trade deadline option if he's healthy.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I'm not really sure... I'm not the guy who brought up "Adam freakin’ Brooks and let him go for nothing!!!!"

I'm not sure what the point is, on this at all, given he hasn't played in the NHL the last few years. Perhaps you could clarify?
I can clarify I was kidding when I brought up Adam Brooks, hence the smiley at the end of my post

Reactions: Fogelhund

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rob Fabbri was practically given away yesterday. He was sent to Anaheim, along with a 4th, for an awful ECHL goalie. It was a cap dump (4 million), but this guy can still put up 20 goals when not injured. I guess the injuries were too extreme. This guy may be a good trade deadline option if he's healthy.

He's never put up 20 goals in a season and he's 28 years old, but that's because he's injured a lot and misses 20+ games every season. Maybe things change. This past season was the first time he ever played more than 60 games since his rookie season.

Reactions: Americanadian

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Can someone explain to me why it would be Willy as a c over Marner?

Marner is one of the best 2 way players in the game and one of the best passers.

Domi works with Matthews.

Why not Marner as 2 c?
For me, it’s experience and recency.
Willy was drafted as a C,taken situational reps there on the Leafs and always plays there - very well - in international play.

I imagine Mitch could do it but he hasn’t, and he might not even be here next year.

It’s an interesting thought tho. Lock down the C spots, and plug in the (more readily available) wingers.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
For me, it’s experience and recency.
Willy was drafted as a C,taken situational reps there on the Leafs and always plays there - very well - in international play.

I imagine Mitch could do it but he hasn’t, and he might not even be here next year.

It’s an interesting thought tho. Lock down the C spots, and plug in the (more readily available) wingers.

I would think Marner was a 130 lbs kid in London. He was scrawny.

His game is much better suited IMO.

Knies. Matthews. Domi
Xxxxx. Marner. Willy
Mcmann. JT. Jarnkrok

Would make more sense to me. Willy doesn’t work there

Reactions: AJ93

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Still think our best trade partner for Marner is Buffalo. They have significant cap space, Buffalo is still close to Toronto Marner, they're loaded with young defensemen and can really use a top line winger to pair with Thompson.

To Toronto-
Dylan Cozens
Mattias Samuelsson

To Buffalo-
Mitch Marner
Timothy Liljegren

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Team has gone through some big changes, not the changes everyone wants though. 3 new d-man, 2 being locked up long term and a new coach, which comes with a complete different way of playing the game.

Kind of shocked they didn't add a single new forward, although summer has just begun. I wouldn't call this a punt year, team will still be competitive. Wonder if some youth injection to the lineup will help them like how it's helped Dallas.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I believe today is when CapFriendly goes dark thanks to the Capitals. I hope they get all the bad karma they deserve.

PuckPedia is really good though so they get all my support. But I wouldn't be surprised if a team buys them out as well.

Whichever website does the armchair GM thing tool again will get bought out.

Caps could get some easy good PR by keeping capfriendly available to the public but then keeping certain resources private.

Reactions: aingefan

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
He's never put up 20 goals in a season and he's 28 years old, but that's because he's injured a lot and misses 20+ games every season. Maybe things change. This past season was the first time he ever played more than 60 games since his rookie season.
Yep. He hasn't actually put up 20 goals, but trends toward 20 goals (or higher) when not injured. If he stays healthy, maybe he can be a trade deadline option. I know he'd love to come here.

I'm a bit biased when it comes to Fabbri. He went to an elementary school (Our Lady of Mercy) I work at on occasion. He brought the Stanley Cup to the school and there's all sorts of framed pictures of him there! Can't help but like him.

Reactions: SprDaVE

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If BOS added Sprong...watch out

1720190873729.png

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
If BOS added Sprong...watch out

View attachment 892538
Boston: The team that never scares me on paper but just wins games.

The wing depth beyond Brad/Pasta is abysmal and despite finally having a decent C in Lindholm the depth there is lacking too.

I say all this knowing damn well they're coming out of the season with 100+ points and one of the top spots in the Atlantic.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You might be the first person to ever claim Sprong is the real difference maker. ;)

He can be in the right position, he's a goal scorer and BOS play a real tight defensive system to help offset the defensive warts, BOS needed more finishers last year and he gives them that.

Boston: The team that never scares me on paper but just wins games.

The wing depth beyond Brad/Pasta is abysmal and despite finally having a decent C in Lindholm the depth there is lacking too.

I say all this knowing damn well they're coming out of the season with 100+ points and one of the top spots in the Atlantic.

We struggled to beat them, they added Zadorov and Lindholm.

Our group up front is pretty much the same group that struggled to put up 2 goals a game.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We struggled to beat them, they added Zadorov and Lindholm.

Our group up front is pretty much the same group that struggled to put up 2 goals a game.

more than anything else, our group needs a shrink to sort their heads out... to both play against Boston, and to play in the playoffs. They are capable of being an offensive powerhouse, but then just stop playing that way at times. Honestly, it doesn't matter too much who the supporting cast is... if our guys don't find a way to takeover important games, none of this matters. Maybe a new coach makes a difference, maybe a sports psychologist does... maybe they just aren't winners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad