Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Alright guys, it's that time of the offseason. I asked Chat GPT to propose trades that involve Mitch Marner or John Tavares. Here's what it came up with:

Not going to lie, the AI was really cooking here. :laugh::laugh:

Trade Proposal: Mitch Marner​

Trade: Mitch Marner to the New York Rangers

Toronto Maple Leafs Receive:

• Alexis Lafrenière (LW): Talented young winger with high potential.
  • K'Andre Miller (D): Promising defenseman with strong skating and defensive skills.
  • First-round draft pick: Adds to Toronto's prospect pool.
New York Rangers Receive:

• Mitch Marner (RW): Elite playmaking winger to boost their top-six forward group.
Rationale: The Leafs acquire young talent in Lafrenière and Miller, along with a first-round pick, addressing future needs and adding depth on defense. The Rangers get a star winger in Marner to accelerate their competitive window.

Trade Proposal John Tavares​

Trade: John Tavares to the Edmonton Oilers

Toronto Maple Leafs Receive:

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (C/LW): Versatile forward who can play center or wing.
  • Evan Bouchard (D): Young defenseman with offensive upside and NHL experience.
  • Second-round draft pick: Additional draft asset.
Edmonton Oilers Receive:

• John Tavares (C): Established center to strengthen their top-six forward group.
Rationale: The Leafs acquire a skilled forward in Nugent-Hopkins who can provide depth at center or wing, along with a promising defenseman in Bouchard. The Oilers add Tavares to complement their star players like Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl, aiming to solidify their offensive core.

Considerations:​

• Contract and Salary: Marner and Tavares have significant contracts, so any trade partner needs to have cap space or be able to make corresponding moves to accommodate their salaries.
  • Team Strategy: Toronto may look to balance immediate competitiveness with future prospects and draft picks in any trade involving these key players.
  • Long-term Planning: Both teams involved would need to consider their respective long-term goals and how these trades fit into their roster-building strategies.
These trade scenarios aim to balance the Maple Leafs' roster needs with potential returns that could enhance their competitiveness in both the short and long term.
I would be very happy with the Marner trade, but why would New York do it? A first overall pick who's only 22, plus another first who's only 24, plus a first round pick, for the sake of getting a 27 year old player who doesn't do well in the playoffs, and will cost them about $4.5M more against their cap. Plus their players are both RFA after this year, while Mitch is a UFA.

I would absolutely love the Tavares trade, but JT isn't likely to waive to go anywhere, especially not Edmonton. And why would they want him? He's barely a top 6 here, and do you really think he will kick either McDavid or Draisaitl out of the top 2 C positions? Bouchard by himself is worth far more than JT.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I don't really think we needed to get another winger. We have more wingers than spots already. 8 roster spots, with the following competing. Domi, Nylander, Marner, Knies, McMann, Robertson, Jarnkrok, Grebyonkin, Dewar, Cowen, Reaves, Steeves.... that's 12 guys right there... Some will be on the Marlies of course... but we still have plenty of bodies.

If we needed anything, it was an upgrade on 3C. But here is the list of guys signed.

Realistically, the number of names, that would make us both better, and be affordable, is pretty small. Henrique wanted to stay in Edmonton, Trenin is a nice player, but not really a C is he? Amadio? :laugh: Heinen... sure... So, one guy who signed as a UFA.... that fits what we needed in terms of type of player, and cost....
Move Nylander to 2C and Tavares to 3C. Improves both. Leave Domi with Matty and if we can't trade Marner this summer, try him beside Willy. Lots of decent young wingers to try in various lines.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
it sounds like they want to punt this year, resign Marner and work around nylander:Marner/matthews when they are 30/29/28. Hopefully they’ve got it figured out by then.

They’ve made changes around the core many times. Why should this time anyone expect anything different? It’s at the point where it’s I’ll believe it when I see it. I don’t blame fans for being frustrated.
It's probably not a matter of 'not want to' but can't. If Mitch and JT (and Willy and Matty and Rielly) won't waive their NMCs, they can't change the core this year.

Improve what you can around them and wait for two of the NMCs to end next year.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Move Nylander to 2C and Tavares to 3C. Improves both. Leave Domi with Matty and if we can't trade Marner this summer, try him beside Willy. Lots of decent young wingers to try in various lines.
I agree with this. I also wonder about moving both Nylander and Mitch to C? I think we might be more well constructed with 34, 88, and 16 as our top three C's. We do have to enough wingers (including JT now) to have balance and all three have played C and we would be very tough to match up against. Let our $10M+ earn their salaries, centres are more valuable.

Knies Matthews Domi
Tavares Marner Robertson
Holmberg Nylander McMann

Dewar Kampf Jarnkrok

... obviously Cowan and / or Grebenkin could crack the top 9 and we can sort of ease them in with this approach

Reactions: aingefan

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I think the AI was using our trade thread as sole algorithmic resource. I kid, I kid.

That Tavares one is pretty funny though. Bouchard alone just had a Norris level playoff.

I would be very happy with the Marner trade, but why would New York do it? A first overall pick who's only 22, plus another first who's only 24, plus a first round pick, for the sake of getting a 27 year old player who doesn't do well in the playoffs, and will cost them about $4.5M more against their cap. Plus their players are both RFA after this year, while Mitch is a UFA.

I would absolutely love the Tavares trade, but JT isn't likely to waive to go anywhere, especially not Edmonton. And why would they want him? He's barely a top 6 here, and do you really think he will kick either McDavid or Draisaitl out of the top 2 C positions? Bouchard by himself is worth far more than JT.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I used to mention a Robertson for Veleno swap. I think we’d have to add something small.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Veleno - Nylander

I wouldn’t mind that top nine.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I used to mention a Robertson for Veleno swap. I think we’d have to add something small.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Veleno - Nylander

I wouldn’t mind that top nine.

I still think we sign Hayton for cheap and let

Them all fight it out. He is a 6 1 c with good defense who hit 40 pts 2 seasons a go

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I still think we sign Hayton for cheap and let

Them all fight it out. He is a 6 1 c with good defense who hit 40 pts 2 seasons a go
Hayton was qualified, he’s an RFA for Utah so we can’t just sign him. I’d be open to trading for him though for sure.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Such a big disappointment that we weren’t able to get Lindholm here.

Perfect 2C to bump Tavares down to 3C, as well as deprive out direct rival from bolstering their centre depth.

Would’ve killed 3 birds with one stone if Treliving had been able to work his Calgary connection and bring him over.

Lindholm and Roy were the 2 biggest missed opportunities for UFA’s for me. They would have shored up 2 glaring areas of weakness for us for years to come. :(

Holmberg did surprise me in the playoffs. He showed a bit of a nasty streak I hadn’t seen before.

If Berube can foster it and help make that a part of his game, I think Holmberg can go a long way towards solidifying his place in our roster.
Double disappointment when he shuts down our forwards if or when they meet in the playoffs in the coming years……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This level of change is pretty typical year to year though, although the focus on D is something fresh for sure.
I think the revolving door of supporting cast members is a huge negative, how do you build a team around 4 or 5 underperforming core players surrounded by NHL mercenaries? I get that in the cap world assets need to be traded before they walk, but man has the roster ever been turning over the last 5-6 years. I bet the Leaf alumni is overflowing……..

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Sprong has got to be the play here.
He was around 2mil last year, and that plus a lil raise can fit without having to jump through too many hoops. Even a one-year deal works since this is really a 24-25 problem. Give that guy 15-18 minutes and he’s putting up 25-35/60pts with good linemates.
It’ll just take one guy to finish off the top 9, with NickRob, Greb and Cowan providing options and pressure from below.
Another offensive winger makes it a lil easier to move MM if it materializes too. Future 2c would be a focus there I’d think.
Plus, I think folks are sleeping on Pontus here. He’s primed to elevate to the 40-50pt range if he gets linemates and minutes.
We know that he can hang with top liners as a third wheel.
We know that he’s put up numbers as a C at the international level.
We know he was a PO MVP in the SEL.
We know he’s the right age for it, and has enough NA experience now.
If you add a Sprong to the top line, and give Pontus Willy and Knies, there’s a strong third line.
And even though there were joke posts about it, you can legit see how Calle could be a fit in Pitt and Kampf in NJ if some salary relief and pick replacement is needed. 3rds and 4ths are hit commodities at the deadline for both players and retention.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sprong has got to be the play here.
He was around 2mil last year, and that plus a lil raise can fit without having to jump through too many hoops. Even a one-year deal works since this is really a 24-25 problem. Give that guy 15-18 minutes and he’s putting up 25-35/60pts with good linemates.
It’ll just take one guy to finish off the top 9, with NickRob, Greb and Cowan providing options and pressure from below.
Another offensive winger makes it a lil easier to move MM if it materializes too. Future 2c would be a focus there I’d think.
Plus, I think folks are sleeping on Pontus here. He’s primed to elevate to the 40-50pt range if he gets linemates and minutes.
We know that he can hang with top liners as a third wheel.
We know that he’s put up numbers as a C at the international level.
We know he was a PO MVP in the SEL.
We know he’s the right age for it, and has enough NA experience now.
If you add a Sprong to the top line, and give Pontus Willy and Knies, there’s a strong third line.
And even though there were joke posts about it, you can legit see how Calle could be a fit in Pitt and Kampf in NJ if some salary relief and pick replacement is needed. 3rds and 4ths are hit commodities at the deadline for both players and retention.

He's just awful without the puck and in his own zone, some say it's like you're on a 5 on 4 PK when he's on the ice. That's the main problem and why he can't stick to a team. We have a strong group of 2-way forwards so maybe getting him would be ok for his speed and goal scoring. The Leafs were interested in Skinner and Sprong is a similar player.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I suspect things will be pretty quiet now until camp gets closer.
What are you expecting?

Realistically the 1-2 obvious names would be Robertson and/or Jarnkrok

Although I do know that July 4st kinda marks the vacation start for people, news is likely to slow.

Reactions: ACC1224

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I agree with this. I also wonder about moving both Nylander and Mitch to C? I think we might be more well constructed with 34, 88, and 16 as our top three C's. We do have to enough wingers (including JT now) to have balance and all three have played C and we would be very tough to match up against. Let our $10M+ earn their salaries, centres are more valuable.

Knies Matthews Domi
Tavares Marner Robertson
Holmberg Nylander McMann

Dewar Kampf Jarnkrok

... obviously Cowan and / or Grebenkin could crack the top 9 and we can sort of ease them in with this approach
You know, I’ve wondered about Willy to 2C ever since he signed the extension.
It makes a lot of sense from a cap structure point of view starting next year.
Biggest money #1c in his prime
2nd biggest money at #2c in his prime.
JT off the books, maybe extended at legit discount for 3c or lw.
Marner TBD, traded? Extended? Off the books?
I wonder this *most* because despite the post-Tavares glaring 2c hole, which seemed like a pretty easy and obvious projection, there were NO links to any 2c options this off-season when there was a great option available. And next years FA crop is thin at C, and the only internal option seems like Cowan but he’s been more of a W and that’s a lot of responsibility for a 20 year old (next year). That FA option got priced out, but still….pretty glaring hole moving forward and no discussion in the media or links to C’s at all. …all wingers and D.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
He's just awful without the puck and in his own zone, some say it's like you're on a 5 on 4 PK when he's on the ice. That's the main problem and why he can't stick to a team. We have a strong group of 2-way forwards so maybe getting him would be ok for his speed and goal scoring. The Leafs were interested in Skinner and Sprong is a similar player.
Yeah, I get that angle for sure. Can coaching tease out enough that it’s passable? Would the increased offense be enough? Is AM sound enough defensively to compensate? With Domi on that hypothetical line….maybe it’s too much offence or nothing.
But at this point in FA, it’s a good gamble. And he’s aa good a bet as anyone gettable that you can get first line offensive production at 3rd line money.
Leafs gonna need more dudes who outproduce their contracts.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You know, I’ve wondered about Willy to 2C ever since he signed the extension.
It makes a lot of sense from a cap structure point of view starting next year.
Biggest money #1c in his prime
2nd biggest money at #2c in his prime.
JT off the books, maybe extended at legit discount for 3c or lw.
Marner TBD, traded? Extended? Off the books?
I wonder this *most* because despite the post-Tavares glaring 2c hole, which seemed like a pretty easy and obvious projection, there were NO links to any 2c options this off-season when there was a great option available. And next years FA crop is thin at C, and the only internal option seems like Cowan but he’s been more of a W and that’s a lot of responsibility for a 20 year old (next year). That FA option got priced out, but still….pretty glaring hole moving forward and no discussion in the media or links to C’s at all. …all wingers and D.

Can someone explain to me why it would be Willy as a c over Marner?

Marner is one of the best 2 way players in the game and one of the best passers.

Domi works with Matthews.

Why not Marner as 2 c?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad