Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
2/3C seems to be the one big hole left depending where you see JT.

Assets
Minten, Robertson, Lily, Jarnkrok, Kampf other prospects and picks

Potential fits
Frost - more offence
Laughton
Hayton - betting on growth
Kadri - with retention
Gourde - with retention
Schenn - with retention
Pageau - with retention
Sid - we can dream right 😀
Others

I would go for Kadri with retention. But I’m Nostalgic.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
2/3C seems to be the one big hole left depending where you see JT.

Assets
Minten, Robertson, Lily, Jarnkrok, Kampf other prospects and picks

Potential fits
Frost - more offence
Laughton
Hayton - betting on growth
Kadri - with retention
Gourde - with retention
Schenn - with retention
Pageau - with retention
Sid - we can dream right 😀
Others

I would go for Kadri with retention. But I’m Nostalgic.
Jenner retained would be my target. 31 years old. Captain in Columbus. Ideal playoff size and strength. Great combination of depth scoring and physicality / defensive ability. Signed for 2 more years. Retained at 50% he would cost $1,850,000 each year (for 2 years)... Columbus is in full rebuild. They need young, cost cost controlled talent to build around.

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Jenner-Holmberg
Dewar-Kampf-Grebyonkin

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
OK anybody knows what the hell happened here? I am not going on a search binge LOL

I think Frankie said something like Winnipeg is not a desirable place....Button lost it and told him off....
Something like that.

LMAO just seeing this clip. Jonas Dubas just got schooled LOL :laugh:

Jonas asked a stupid question that literally most medias asked until they get shut down and mocked.

We hear enough stupid questions, like do you think you could had get a better deal from the player....maybe a shorter term....maybe less AVV..... if the GM can do that, pretty sure they would had done it.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Video game mode

Trade 1: Marner + Liljegren for Pulock + Pageau
Sign Tarasenko and trade for Granlund
2025 - Let Tavares walk, keep Granlund.

Knies--Matthews--Domi
Robertson-Granlund-Nylander
McMann-Pageau-Tarasenko
Holmberg-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Pulock
OEL-Hakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz

This team feels much more balanced.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Video game mode

Trade 1: Marner + Liljegren for Pulock + Pageau
Sign Tarasenko and trade for Granlund
2025 - Let Tavares walk, keep Granlund.

Knies--Matthews--Domi
Robertson-Granlund-Nylander
McMann-Pageau-Tarasenko
Holmberg-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Pulock
OEL-Hakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz

This team feels much more balanced.
McCabe works be coming in at 4M minimum, likely closer to 5.5. Does that still fit?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd be very careful going over the cap right now, there aren't a lot of teams with cap space and the ones who do will make you pay a hefty price for getting you out of a jam imo

Roslovic or Terasenko would be good buys but we also need to resign Robertson and Dewar

We actually need to move a decent amount of salary somehow

Reactions: Rocker13

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Man Ive been a leafs fan for a long time and this off season is really urking me. The Tanev and OEL term feels extremely irresponsible and shows a lack of care for the franchise. Believe it or not in 4 years the leafs will still be a team and will still be stuck with OEL and Tanev. Did our blue line even get better? We added a #4 and #5 in my books and sacrificed the future to do so.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I see JVR is still unsigned

I thought he played well with Boston and he's extremely good on the PP so he'd be an excellent option if ours goes cold again
He chipped in a few points last year to

1 year league min?

Reactions: Menzinger

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
here are some "nuggets: from Marner in clinching or momentum swinging games. VERY BIG GLARING MISTAKES.
Fans remember!!!

Game 7 against habs - offensive zone turnover by marner when game was tied 0-0 (I can list many STUPID plays by marner in the habs series if you want)

Game 6 against bolts in OT (first time around) - stupid pass AND then STUPID DEFENSE (again could list many STUPID plays by marner if you want including Game 7)

Game 2 against Florida Leafs had a 2-0 lead and then Marner being a complete buffoon giving panthers the lead in the game and the momentum (at 1:50 mark)

Marner was a f***ing GHOST in that series against Florida

Game 7 against Bruins this year (I could add others from the series where he was complete ASS)

And ofcourse Game 7 OT Marner being a complete ASS

I could list many btw.... People often forget that little things matter in the game and Marner more often than not lacks attention to detail, boardwork, puck battles, etc....11 AAV is too much for a player like that who continues to make glaring mistakes and at very important times. Because of this cap hit Leafs have to dumpster dive and fill the roster while marner continues to make mistakes in playoffs. When is this enough? WHEN?

Are fans just suppsoed to slobber over how awesome marner is even when he continues to make mistakes that cost Leafs games? (above are jsut handful of examples).

COME ON MAN!

Enough is enough already! I want Leafs to WIN. With or without marner. So far with marner Leafs' results have been trash. it is time Leafs try to get these results without marner. I don't want leafs to commit another ridiculous AAV to Marner given his past, glaring mistakes, his attitude, lack of personal accountability and responsibility and more importantly negative impact on the Leafs on ice results in the playoffs

1st was 4 year ago when i talked last 3 when he really simplify his game.

fun 2 took 2 goal who was complete muffin giving up by goalie and 2 goal who should never goes in.

the 1st vs tampa, Marner just drop the puck outside of defensive zone, a pretty basic play in hockey and it was a 3v3. Miscommunication between Holl and Marner. Marner took hagel to slow him down but the problem is Holl also goes on Hagel and let giodarno dealing with both of point and killorn+ Campbell was also weak on it. ..

The Barkov goal is probably the worst goal allowed last 3 but let's see the exact moment where marner took the puck after rielly missing pass and tell me what's was Marner option on that play? Florida had 2 player who was covering any play off the board and he had no pass option, he was in bad position to try to dump it and whatever so he did possibily the only option he had, try to create himself some space. But everything happening because rielly turnover. 2- This goal wqs just horrible, no f***ing good reason to let this puck goes in, it wqs a basic save for a NHL starying goalie.

Pastrnak goal, if you're understand a little bit how hockey working, you should know than the1st player who come 1st in defensive zone is D responsabilities. So the fact Pastrnak was the 1st player who goes in, it was rielly responsability to cover him and not marner guy anymore.

And did you really took a penalty kill exemple when he stole the puck behind the net and was like 1v4

The fact leafs outplayed Kucherov line 2 year in a row, especially last year a huge part of it came from marner game... The fact Pastrnak had been pretty quiet first 4 and marchand last 3 ( when marner started to play more vs marchand with matthews injury) a good part of it came from Marner. 1st 4 game, Marchand line didn't had any issues to create offensive vs matthews domi and bertuzzi but the day Marner step in with both playing most of the time vs marchand line, Marchand disapeared

and to finish, in none of every vido you're posted, we saw a lack of commitment. In none of video you posted of last 3 years who was a Marner mistake

-a miscommunication with Holl who took the wrong guy
- a pretty bad by rielly who put marner in pretty bad situation
-a basic 1v1 foward v D speed fight lost by rielly.

It's all you find to bash Marner game??? We can talk about Marner lack of Scoring in playoff but NOBODY can talk about Marner lack of commitment in the defenzive zone and wven if he was playing with a bottom 10 D in the league, he had been able most of time to shutdown top opposite line year after year and it's the only one amount core who did it.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
1st was 4 year ago when i talked last 3 when he really simplify his game.

fun 2 took 2 goal who was complete muffin giving up by goalie and 2 goal who should never goes in.

the 1st vs tampa, Marner just drop the puck outside of defensive zone, a pretty basic play in hockey and it was a 3v3. Miscommunication between Holl and Marner. Marner took hagel to slow him down but the problem is Holl also goes on Hagel and let giodarno dealing with both of point and killorn+ Campbell was also weak on it. ..

The Barkov goal is probably the worst goal allowed last 3 but let's see the exact moment where marner took the puck after rielly missing pass and tell me what's was Marner option on that play? Florida had 2 player who was covering any play off the board and he had no pass option, he was in bad position to try to dump it and whatever so he did possibily the only option he had, try to create himself some space. But everything happening because rielly turnover. 2- This goal wqs just horrible, no f***ing good reason to let this puck goes in, it wqs a basic save for a NHL starying goalie.

Pastrnak goal, if you're understand a little bit how hockey working, you should know than the1st player who come 1st in defensive zone is D responsabilities. So the fact Pastrnak was the 1st player who goes in, it was rielly responsability to cover him and not marner guy anymore.

And did you really took a penalty kill exemple when he stole the puck behind the net and was like 1v4

The fact leafs outplayed Kucherov line 2 year in a row, especially last year a huge part of it came from marner game... The fact Pastrnak had been pretty quiet first 4 and marchand last 3 ( when marner started to play more vs marchand with matthews injury) a good part of it came from Marner. 1st 4 game, Marchand line didn't had any issues to create offensive vs matthews domi and bertuzzi but the day Marner step in with both playing most of the time vs marchand line, Marchand disapeared

and to finish, in none of every vido you're posted, we saw a lack of commitment. In none of video you posted of last 3 years who was a Marner mistake

-a miscommunication with Holl who took the wrong guy
- a pretty bad by rielly who put marner in pretty bad situation
-a basic 1v1 foward v D speed fight lost by rielly.

It's all you find to bash Marner game??? We can talk about Marner lack of Scoring in playoff but NOBODY can talk about Marner lack of commitment in the defenzive zone and wven if he was playing with a bottom 10 D in the league, he had been able most of time to shutdown top opposite line year after year and it's the only one amount core who did it.
I recall Marner being a playoff performer before he signed his contract (remember that short-handed goal and last minute block that makes some commentators saying we should pay him whatever he wants?). It just occurs to me that the timing also coincides with Keefe taking over as coach, and he went through his first two playoff without any goals under Keefe. The coaching change also established our team's identity in making fancy passes that (in retrospect) only works in the playoffs (hence your call for him to simplify his game). So there is a good reason to hope that Berube's style will return the playoff-performing marner prior to keefe taking over.

That says, the contracts of our stars are not on par with the rest of the league. It's not only Marner but he (and his agent) took things to the public, which really destroyed his image and turned him into the whipping boy he became.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Jenner retained would be my target. 31 years old. Captain in Columbus. Ideal playoff size and strength. Great combination of depth scoring and physicality / defensive ability. Signed for 2 more years. Retained at 50% he would cost $1,850,000 each year (for 2 years)... Columbus is in full rebuild. They need young, cost cost controlled talent to build around.

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Jenner-Holmberg
Dewar-Kampf-Grebyonkin

Columbus isn’t trading Jenner.

Reactions: BM14

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I would like us to bolster our secondary scoring - add Tarasenko and take a chance on A. Nylander. Whynot. I feel A. Nylander is a bit soft though, which we already have enough of that up front.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think we still have needs;

3C
Change in top 6 (Marner out)
Jarnkrok out to augment bottom 6
Top 4 RD

And we're good!

As it stands, the core forwards that couldn't score last year against BOS are still here so don't see how that gets any better by not changing it.

Kampf/Holmberg aren't suitable to 3C, if it's Domi then you need a top 6 LW

Jarnkrok can't do anything in the playoffs.

D should look like this;

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-X
McCabe-Hakanpaa
Benoit

You want a defense that's good enough to not guarantee Benoit ice time, if you had gotten Roy, it's a cup calibre defense and I feel good about the goaltending.

Reactions: HolyCrap

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Man Ive been a leafs fan for a long time and this off season is really urking me. The Tanev and OEL term feels extremely irresponsible and shows a lack of care for the franchise. Believe it or not in 4 years the leafs will still be a team and will still be stuck with OEL and Tanev. Did our blue line even get better? We added a #4 and #5 in my books and sacrificed the future to do so.
I think U have no idea what U are taking about

Reactions: BM14

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
I'd be very careful going over the cap right now, there aren't a lot of teams with cap space and the ones who do will make you pay a hefty price for getting you out of a jam imo

Roslovic or Terasenko would be good buys but we also need to resign Robertson and Dewar

We actually need to move a decent amount of salary somehow

We have apx. $2.75 million I think once we aend down Murray, Timmins, and Webber. We could burray Reaves $1.35 i think as well and maybe get a away with putting Hakanpaa in a conditioning stint with Marlies since most Dallas fans are convinced his knee is done.

We do need to sign Dewar or equivalent and possibly Robertson. If we did sign Tarasenko I guess we can get away with not signing Robertson and moving him out although he is not counting on cap at the moment.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Marner saga reportedly turned some free agents away from Leafs | Offside

On an appearance on Kyper & Bourne from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, one of the NHL’s top insiders suggested that Toronto media and fanbase hysteria around Marner has driven a few potential free agents away from considering the Leafs as a destination.

“It’s funny, one player told me that there are some players that have watched from outside, some players that have watched what has gone on with this whole Marner thing over the last month or two and have gone, ‘I want no part of that. I don’t want anything to do with that.’… I think people know Toronto’s [unique], some players were like, ‘nope, that’s not going to be me.'”

Good. I wouldn't want these players here anywhere.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street

I feel our acquisitions have not really improved the defense Corp which is really our biggest need as a team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I feel our acquisitions have not really improved the defense Corp which is really our biggest need as a team.

Hakanpaa and Tanev would improve the PK

OEL should offer some decent offense

Term isn't ideal but after 2-3 years, Tanev will disappear to LTIR

Cap goes up etc, OEL may move to 3rd pairing for 1-2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad