Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Marner saga reportedly turned some free agents away from Leafs | Offside

On an appearance on Kyper & Bourne from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, one of the NHL’s top insiders suggested that Toronto media and fanbase hysteria around Marner has driven a few potential free agents away from considering the Leafs as a destination.

“It’s funny, one player told me that there are some players that have watched from outside, some players that have watched what has gone on with this whole Marner thing over the last month or two and have gone, ‘I want no part of that. I don’t want anything to do with that.’… I think people know Toronto’s [unique], some players were like, ‘nope, that’s not going to be me.'”

So players wanna get paid a lot of money but none of the accountability huh? great. I don't want such trash in Toronto anyway...

just look at mcdavid and draisaitl conference last year (not this season) after they lost. And compare to any of Marner's pressers after playoff losses.

More importantly, people are pissed b/c marner makes the most glaring mistakes in the playoffs, doesn't take any responsibility and he put in more effort/heart/intensity in his contract negotiations than on-ice.

Tell me what has marner done individually making 11AAV after RFA without Matthews or prime Tavares? has he made his line mates better?

COME ON MAN!

We are not running a charity. We invested a lot of cap in good faith that the player will produce and make linemates better who we had to go dumpster diving because they so called core forwards took all the cap. Leafs kept their end of the bargain Marner didn't. Worst still, Marner found ways to blame everything and everyone except himself.

In a hockey crazed market that rubs fans the wrong way!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yep.. might as well keep Robertson and see if he signs.

Seems like the trade route might be the better option.

I’m not necessarily keen on adding more age on guys past their prime. 3 targets I see are:

Sprong
Roslovic
Zadina

Younger guys still with something to prove.

Good plan. I’d also add Alex Nylander to the list. He did go off for an 38 goal pace in a short Columbus stint.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
So players wanna get paid a lot of money but none of the accountability huh? great. I don't want such trash in Toronto anyway...

just look at mcdavid and draisaitl conference last year (not this season) after they lost. And compare to any of Marner's pressers after playoff losses.

More importantly, people are pissed b/c marner makes the most glaring mistakes in the playoffs, doesn't take any responsibility and he put in more effort/heart/intensity in his contract negotiations than on-ice.

Tell me what has marner done individually making 11AAV after RFA without Matthews or prime Tavares? has he made his line mates better?

COME ON MAN!

We are not running a charity. We invested a lot of cap in good faith that the player will produce and make linemates better who we had to go dumpster diving because they so called core forwards took all the cap. Leafs kept their end of the bargain Marner didn't. Worst still, Marner found ways to blame everything and everyone except himself.

It's a bunch of bs imo. If there are players who don't want to come here it's because the team has failed to win when it matters.

Stop being losers and the team will be a top destination. Continue to embrassed themselves and less and less players will want to come. Simple. Excuses like the fans and media only matter when the team is losing.

There's maybe a few who are rubbed about the Marner situation the wrong way and they're probably equally disappointing whiners.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Hockey players are so thin skinned compared to every other major sport. Like as if LeBron James just went like you know what, I wanna play in Europe, the pressure is too much. Or if Tom Brady decided that his future was with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to get away from the pressure. Fans are passionate and they will build statues and will give an infinite amount of praise for the smallest amount of success in Toronto, just look at Dougie Gilmour and Wendel Clark. But the downside of not having success is obviously going to create a lot of tension and toxicity.

If they don't want to deal with it, it's their choice and I certainly don't want them here if they can't handle it.

Well put, and if Jessica Alba can't handle me, I don't want Jessica Alba! Beat it, Jess!

Would have liked Ryan O'Reilly back though at that cap hit. We ever learn why he was categorically opposed to coming back here?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
They have to be.. Tre is probably trying to make the cap work

Tre wants to add up front still.

I am still confused about the Bert deal. if Bert had agreed to lets say 4x4; then how would Leafs have fit him if they were signing Tanev, OEL anyway....

He must have had a few deals lined up to clear cap space

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's a bunch of bs imo. If there are players who don't want to come here it's because the team has failed to win when it matters.

Stop being losers and the team will be a top destination. Continue to embrassed themselves and less and less players will want to come. Simple. Excuses like the fans and media only matter when the team is losing.

There's maybe a few who are rubbed about the Marner situation the wrong way and they're probably equally disappointing whiners.

pretty much. If Leafs weren't choking in first round every freakin year and marner wasn't trash do you think fans will be up in arms about marner?

IMO its nothing but a sham.

Its almost like don't call spade a spade because "feelings get hurt"

yea.... no thanks. Call spade a spade always! ;)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not currently on the team but I want to discuss the possibility of signing him because the Leafs need a top 6 winger, now he's not a top 6 winger but he can play center and that is why you sign him.

Signing Roslovic allows you to shift Domi to the wing thereby solving the need for a top 6 winger, and arguably improving your offense overall because you no longer have Kampf as the #3 center.

The top 3 lines could be

Domi Matthews Marner

Knies Tavares Nylander.

Bobby Mac Roslovic Robertson, I know Robertson wants out but he has no leverage I'm not convinced he's going anywhere.

The way to fill the hole in our wings might be to acquire a center

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

COME ON MAN!

the series was tied 1-1 and his picture was already on the news with everyone against him.

You can say whatever youbwant, only 2 leafs player had a positive +/- against opposite top 6... at 2nd positions, its Matthews Knies and far far away in front, Marner.

you watch exemple boston series and watch game 2 and say oh my god Matthews was on fire and won this game for leafs.... but you watch gm 3 with 8 minutes to go when Matthews cost the game by going for absolutly no f***ing reason behind the net and let his guy all alone in the slot. At a key moment of the game, you doing that kind of mental mistake and a player who basically did nothing 3 of 4 game he played.

or nylander last years vs tampa who took defensive shit off after defensive shift off and almost cost the series with his lack of defensive commitment.

but let's blame the only one who always been commit in the defensive part of every series last 3 and acting like he's the softer player of the team. The only thing who's matter is the number of goal score but don't care how many goal against that will cost.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Always liked tank and he’d be a solid add

Faksa was a miss imo

Isn't Faksa just another Kampf but more expensive? I don't get the appeal.

Tarasenko is pretty solid though. I don't think the Leafs have enough cap space to fit him, he might as well just take a cut to stay in Florida.

Good plan. I’d also add Alex Nylander to the list. He did go off for an 38 goal pace in a short Columbus stint.

He was on fire soon after being acquired by Columbus but cooled off considerably as the season closed. He's waiver fodder or a PTO level guy to me. Seems unlikely he's more than that. Willie would probably be stocked to see him around.

Last edited:

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
The problem with this thinking is that you're going to be able to continue to keep pace with the other teams in the division and no one else is going to get better, while the Leafs try and restructure their roster based on more funds available.
its a good thing then that detroit buffalo and ottawa are living up to that assumption LOL

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He kept Kylington with Calgary. There seems to be a misconception he only wants big guys who hit.

I would actually be interested in a Kylington for Liljegren swap. Get an elite skating transition Dman now that we have muscle. We can have more specialization and maybe offensive upside.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If Tarasenko is interested in coming here...I would just sign him now. Worry about clearing the necessary cap space later. You have until the start off the season anyway.

But go grab him now. I think he'd be a huge get for this forward group. Has played with Berube in the past and he would also get a lot of playing time with this group.

Tarasenko - Mathews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - Domi - Jarnkrok
Holmberg - Dewar - Reaves

Reactions: bax

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
the series was tied 1-1 and his picture was already on the news with everyone against him.

You can say whatever youbwant, only 2 leafs player had a positive +/- against opposite top 6... at 2nd positions, its Matthews Knies and far far away in front, Marner.

you watch exemple boston series and watch game 2 and say oh my god Matthews was on fire and won this game for leafs.... but you watch gm 3 with 8 minutes to go when Matthews cost the game by going for absolutly no f***ing reason behind the net and let his guy all alone in the slot. At a key moment of the game, you doing that kind of mental mistake and a player who basically did nothing 3 of 4 game he played.

or nylander last years vs tampa who took defensive shit off after defensive shift off and almost cost the series with his lack of defensive commitment.

but let's blame the only one who always been commit in the defensive part of every series last 3 and acting like he's the softer player of the team. The only thing who's matter is the number of goal score but don't care how many goal against that will cost.
here are some "nuggets: from Marner in clinching or momentum swinging games. VERY BIG GLARING MISTAKES.
Fans remember!!!

Game 7 against habs - offensive zone turnover by marner when game was tied 0-0 (I can list many STUPID plays by marner in the habs series if you want)

Game 6 against bolts in OT (first time around) - stupid pass AND then STUPID DEFENSE (again could list many STUPID plays by marner if you want including Game 7)

Game 2 against Florida Leafs had a 2-0 lead and then Marner being a complete buffoon giving panthers the lead in the game and the momentum (at 1:50 mark)

Marner was a f***ing GHOST in that series against Florida

Game 7 against Bruins this year (I could add others from the series where he was complete ASS)

And ofcourse Game 7 OT Marner being a complete ASS

I could list many btw.... People often forget that little things matter in the game and Marner more often than not lacks attention to detail, boardwork, puck battles, etc....11 AAV is too much for a player like that who continues to make glaring mistakes and at very important times. Because of this cap hit Leafs have to dumpster dive and fill the roster while marner continues to make mistakes in playoffs. When is this enough? WHEN?

Are fans just suppsoed to slobber over how awesome marner is even when he continues to make mistakes that cost Leafs games? (above are jsut handful of examples).

COME ON MAN!

Enough is enough already! I want Leafs to WIN. With or without marner. So far with marner Leafs' results have been trash. it is time Leafs try to get these results without marner. I don't want leafs to commit another ridiculous AAV to Marner given his past, glaring mistakes, his attitude, lack of personal accountability and responsibility and more importantly negative impact on the Leafs on ice results in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad