Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
How many games did you like the effort? Did they play a full 60? I would be more inclined if they actually played like they care. Who knows. Maybe Berube will actually bench the stars when they don't perform.
Well, a fan of just about any team feels the same way. There isn't more than a team or two who go balls to the wall for 60 minutes, 82 games a year, plus playoffs, if there's even one

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I guess the trade wasn't out there but call me disappointed. I'm not buying it that this version of the Leafs has any chance.

Outside of Woll having a conn smythe level run I see no way this team will make it anywhere in the playoffs.

2025-2026 hopefully will be much different.

Reactions: supermann_98

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

Marner saga reportedly turned some free agents away from Leafs | Offside

On an appearance on Kyper & Bourne from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, one of the NHL’s top insiders suggested that Toronto media and fanbase hysteria around Marner has driven a few potential free agents away from considering the Leafs as a destination.

“It’s funny, one player told me that there are some players that have watched from outside, some players that have watched what has gone on with this whole Marner thing over the last month or two and have gone, ‘I want no part of that. I don’t want anything to do with that.’… I think people know Toronto’s [unique], some players were like, ‘nope, that’s not going to be me.'”

Holy crap.

After all these years... It WAS our fault all along!

Well damn.

Pack it in folks. Turns out the best way to be a fan is to mostly ignore the team.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
To be fair, Toronto is following the same path as both Vegas and Tampa, which is letting their star player walk in free agency. Not sure what Colorado has done to be so ruthless.

I find it hard believe though Toronto is contempt to run it with legitimately the EXACT same forward group as last year, minus Bertuzzi. They need to find a way to replace his 15 goals and potentially Robertson 15gs.

Now if the Roster looks this come September, I won't be a happy fan.
I think the idea is instead of scoring those 15.goals that Bertuzzi scored we'll prevent 20 more than we did last year.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Vegas would be interesting if Pietra, Roy plus picks are coming our way for MM and Timmins.
Won't count out Utah either, as they want to make splash but didnt really do it today.

Marner saga reportedly turned some free agents away from Leafs | Offside

On an appearance on Kyper & Bourne from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, one of the NHL’s top insiders suggested that Toronto media and fanbase hysteria around Marner has driven a few potential free agents away from considering the Leafs as a destination.

“It’s funny, one player told me that there are some players that have watched from outside, some players that have watched what has gone on with this whole Marner thing over the last month or two and have gone, ‘I want no part of that. I don’t want anything to do with that.’… I think people know Toronto’s [unique], some players were like, ‘nope, that’s not going to be me.'”

Nope. They want no part of being overpaid by 3 million

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Has there been a published article if Murray has rehabbed his injuries? The 3rd goalie is actually quite important on a team like ours where we have 2 tandem dudes who could easily go cold or get hurt and well need him for 15-20 games. Is he able to do that, and can he play as well as Jones?

I don't understand why we'd pick Murray ahead of Jones. One seems a lot lower risk than the other. I guess Murray is younger but he hasn't seen an NHL shot since...what early 2023?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Assuming Tarasenko goes back to Florida, It seems all the players left are very similar. Talented but inconsistent, bad defensively and soft. The guys left kind of remind me of Robertson.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Has there been a published article if Murray has rehabbed his injuries? The 3rd goalie is actually quite important on a team like ours where we have 2 tandem dudes who could easily go cold or get hurt and well need him for 15-20 games. Is he able to do that, and can he play as well as Jones?

I don't understand why we'd pick Murray ahead of Jones. One seems a lot lower risk than the other. I guess Murray is younger but he hasn't seen an NHL shot since...what early 2023?

It's remarkable how close Jones' 2024 and Murray's 2023 stats lines are. Maybe they just liked having the championship pedigree and complete wild card factor in the group, also having invested in rehabbing him last year, and as a thank you for playing ball with the LTIR situation.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Assuming Tarasenko goes back to Florida, It seems all the players left are very similar. Talented but inconsistent, bad defensively and soft. The guys left kind of remind me of Robertson.

Curious to see how Nate Schmidt does in Florida and how they make up for the loss of OEL and Montour. My guess is waiver fodder Bjornfot (and ex-Leafs pick from the Muzzin deal) turns into a Norris contender overnight.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I'd be happy to get Tarasenko after missing out on Skinner. Give him 4 years to bring the AAV down to $4.75 million if you can...

To Columbus
Nick Robertson
Fraser Minten
2025 2nd round pick

To Toronto
Boone Jenner (50% retained for 2024-2025 and 2025-2026)

Trade Liljegren for picks or futures
Trade Robertson for picks or futures
Extend Dewar 2 x 900k

21 man roster...

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Jenner-Tarasenko
Dewar-Kampf-Holmberg
Grebyonkin

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Hakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz

Total Cap Hit: $87,629,667

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
It's remarkable how close Jones' 2024 and Murray's 2023 stats lines are. Maybe they just liked having the championship pedigree and complete wild card factor in the group, also having invested in rehabbing him last year, and as a thank you for playing ball with the LTIR situation.
Great points.

Jones took the reigns of the starter for a few weeks stabilizing the team and perhaps kept the season on track. Isn't much of an injury risk

Don't know if I could say if Murray could do the same. Unsure if it's realistic that he can stay healthy. I like the guy too but it's like we've added THREE wildcards in net rather than having a reliable vet who can jump in mid game, mid injury mid anything.

Maybe jones indicated he's seeking better pay. That would make sense to me as to why we've signed Murray

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I figured that Jones improved his stock enough with Toronto and would sign elsewhere as a backup for the upcoming season. Even though Murray's upside should be comparatively higher, I am slightly worried that he didn't play at all last season and could be the first one up whenever a recall from the minors is needed.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think Jones may be looking for more playing time

Reactions: Buds17

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Yep.. might as well keep Robertson and see if he signs.

Seems like the trade route might be the better option.

I’m not necessarily keen on adding more age on guys past their prime. 3 targets I see are:

Sprong
Roslovic
Zadina

Younger guys still with something to prove.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Great points.

Jones took the reigns of the starter for a few weeks stabilizing the team and perhaps kept the season on track. Isn't much of an injury risk

Don't know if I could say if Murray could do the same. Unsure if it's realistic that he can stay healthy. I like the guy too but it's like we've added THREE wildcards in net rather than having a reliable vet who can jump in mid game, mid injury mid anything.

Maybe jones indicated he's seeking better pay. That would make sense to me as to why we've signed Murray

It was noted that the Leafs have been high on Hildeby. So I think they want to be able to give a laneway for him to have an opportunity if he continues to progress.

Murray is nice insurance in this regard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad