Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
I see Vancouver as a prime landing spot for Theodore. Their current 2nd pair is Soucy-Myers. They could benefit from Theodore as 2LD and sliding Soucy to 3LD. He's also a local kid which gives them an advantage when going to re-sign him. I don't see the short term fit with Utah - Valimaki is a luxury at 3LD and Cole is a perfect partner for Durzi at 2LD.

Maybe something like:

To VGK: Marner, Dewar (4C replacement)
To TOR: Roy, Willander, VGK 25 2nd, VAN 25 2nd
To VAN: Theodore
That could work, but I rather we keep Dewar and trade Kampf instead.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
If the rumor of Marner to Vegas is true I wonder what could we get from Vegas. The obvious answer would be Theodore or Pietrangelo, but our d corp is set and I don't buy that Liljegren is going to be traded any time soon.

I wonder could a 3 way deal happen where
we trade Marner for Theodore, Roy, Vegas 2025 2nd and Wsh 2025 3rd
then trade Theodore to a team like Utah for their 2025 1st( top 10 protected), Carolina 2026 3rd, and Barrett Hayton. With Theodore signing an extension with Utah.
then use the available cap space to sign Tarasenko and use some of the assets acquire and Jarnkrok to trade for a Colton Ross.

The easy solution would be to keep Theodore, but I don't see that with OEL and Liljegren signing with us.
I'd heard the Theo because he needs a new deal, but, if Vegas even considered moving Pietrangelo, we should be all over that, and can include Lil too.
Pietrangelo is the guy we should have signed when he was available.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I don't get those vibes listening to Treliving and Liljegren post extension interview. Not to say it can't happen but seems like they want to keep the balance they currently have.
I also don't think you schedule a media interview for someone you are possibly trading, but maybe I'm wrong. Liljegren saying "Toronto is where I always wanted to be" should indicate it.
It's likely Timmins and maybe some forward is moving out

Reactions: aingefan

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I still see Liljegren as the odd man out.

So Nick and Tim probably traded this summer. Those two together isn't a bad package, really.
I don't think so. He showed flashes of putting it all together for us, and sometimes where he looked like a bottom 6 D-man. His biggest issue will be board battles and boxing out. I think Toronto is giving him this year to finally see if he can stick and stay in the top 4.

I wonder if a Robertson + Kampf + small draft pick for Laughton is something that's possible, I know Philly has had interest in him going back to last season.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I don't think so. He showed flashes of putting it all together for us, and sometimes where he looked like a bottom 6 D-man. His biggest issue will be board battles and boxing out. I think Toronto is giving him this year to finally see if he can stick and stay in the top 4.

I wonder if a Robertson + Kampf + small draft pick for Laughton is something that's possible, I know Philly has had interest in him going back to last season.
Guys like Tanev and OEL should be huge mentors for him. OEL is also Swedish. I'm not sure if that matters or not but it can't hurt.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Give him the opportunity. If he wants a trade make him earn it. Either he plays well enough to keep a spot or he’s moved where he gets one by default.

I'd be tempted to make Robertson sign a 1 year dirt cheap deal, put him in the best possible position to pile up some points then trade him after he's upped his trade value

I'd love to get something useful back for him

Reactions: Buds17 and aingefan

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

I only say this because he's about as opposite a Treliving type Dman as we have.

Something has to give with our cap situation. There will be trades made this summer.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I see Vancouver as a prime landing spot for Theodore. Their current 2nd pair is Soucy-Myers. They could benefit from Theodore as 2LD and sliding Soucy to 3LD. He's also a local kid which gives them an advantage when going to re-sign him. I don't see the short term fit with Utah - Valimaki is a luxury at 3LD and Cole is a perfect partner for Durzi at 2LD.

Maybe something like:

To VGK: Marner, Dewar (4C replacement)
To TOR: Roy, Willander, VGK 25 2nd, VAN 25 2nd
To VAN: Theodore
f*** no theodore comes to uss as well

Reactions: Altair

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I know there's lots of summer to go but I would say were pretty much done for this coming season

Domi Matthews Nylander
McMann Tavares Marner
Janrkrok Kampf Knies
***** Holmberg Reaves

Rielly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Liljgren
Hakanpaa Timmins

Woll
Stolarz

that team currently has 955k in cap space needing a 4th liner, Dewar's qualifying offer is 787,500 so he will probably fill that final spot, if we don't sell Robertson maybe we bring him to camp to fight for a spot and also there's still Cowen/Minten who might push for spots so options on that 3-4 line but it's easily 22 man roster within the cap.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Tyler Motte would be a prudent pick up. He can kill penalties too I believe. If the price is right...

I know there's lots of summer to go but I would say were pretty much done for this coming season

Domi Matthews Nylander
McMann Tavares Marner
Janrkrok Kampf Knies
***** Holmberg Reaves

Rielly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Liljgren
Hakanpaa Timmins

Woll
Stolarz

that team currently has 955k in cap space needing a 4th liner, Dewar's qualifying offer is 787,500 so he will probably fill that final spot, if we don't sell Robertson maybe we bring him to camp to fight for a spot and also there's still Cowen/Minten who might push for spots so options on that 3-4 line but it's easily 22 man roster within the cap.
Just as I posted. Fill in the 4th line with Tyler Motte. Or add him for depth. These guys are handy come playoffs.

Reactions: KMNRB

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Easy to say from a keyboard. This is embarrassing.

I would just edit and delete this. Really sad.

Agreed

there are so many keyboard warriors on these boards that would not last 2 seconds as professional athlete. They'd be dead after one individual workout, probably cry after getting cut up in video sessions LOL. probably couldn't even hack it in collegiate sports which is arguably harder in my experience. They have no idea what it takes to be in that 1%, yet they feel they have all the answers to everyone. There's a reason why NHL'ers and other pro athletes are where they are and why we are beyond a keyboard.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I know Tre mentioned they had some depth signings in the hopper but those have to be dependent on what salary gets moved out.

We also know Tre put a contract extension off out to Marner's camp but it's not believed to be a raise (can someone confirm)?

In the interim Tre is scouring the trade market for likely guys like Jarnkrok and Kampf to clear salary (maybe Lily too). Without a doubt though he has a good pulse on what he could get for Marner too.

I think Tre is waiting on some response from Marner's camp ... after the Gaudreau thing I have a real hard time believing he'd go into the season without trading Marner or extending him. That response should cause the domino effect for the Leafs' remaining moves.

There shouldn't be a rush to shore up depth up front until then. Lots of options there, so get your big stuff sorted first. It may be a few days before we get much.

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad