Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I admire Tampa's decisiveness, but I don't think the changes they've made will make much difference for them. They've suffered too many losses of key players since the championship runs, and I'm not sure Vasi, or Tampa's defense, will return to what they once were. But they also have two Cups and three straight Finals appearances, so they are playing with house money anyway.
At the very least, they've restocked with some high end prospects like Geekie, retooled the forward and D group and still have plenty of flexibility moving forward. The alternative was basically just riding into the sunset with the core and doing a full rebuild in a few years, which wouldn't be optimal. They've found a happy medium now.

Reactions: rumman

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I think we're still short a forward

Either we force Robertson to play, we give a guy like Cowan or Grebyonkin a go or we bring in a guy like Roslovic whose a C/W and gives us some positional flexibility if Domi isn't going to play center

We could really use another quality C.

Reactions: Burnie97 and Kiwi

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Then Tampa likely just cut ties with a player of little value instead of a player who is bad.

View attachment 891096

You can spin it however you want...
For the last time. I said TB cut ties with a bad player who they invested heavily on instead of waiting for him to improve.

TB salvaged whatever value Jeannot could get without giving out a sweetener.
Which part of that do you not get?

Where Leafs MGT will often hold on to the player too long or just send sweetener(draft picks) for other teams to take said bad players. An example would be Marleau, Mrazek and Richtie.

Do you get my point now? Stop building narratives in your head that I said anything about TB did great in the Jeannot trade. Learn how to read what others wrote before building narratives.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
For the last time. I said TB cut ties with a bad player who they invested heavily on instead of waiting for him to improve.

TB salvaged whatever value Jeannot could get without giving out a sweetener.
Which part of that do you not get?

Where Leafs MGT will often hold on to the player too long or just send sweetener(draft picks) for other teams to take said bad players. An example would be Marleau, Mrazek and Richtie.

Do you get my point now? Stop building narratives in your head that I said anything about TB did great in the Jeannot trade. Learn how to read what others wrote before building narratives.

Jeannot is not Reaves bad, it's why they could recoup some assets.

They cut ties with a 4th liner who is an NHLer.

Your whole premise is flawed.

You also didn't mention assets in your original post, you're adding that after I mentioned the Leafs cutting ties with players because you knew I was right.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Holmberg or Kampf as our 3C isn't exactly comforting

In a perfect world Minten takes the spot but that might be asking too much next season.

Tre even talked about that today, saying that both Cowan and Minten need to show they can play against men.

Reactions: Kiwi

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Sabres offseason so far:

sabres.jpg

:laugh:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
In a perfect world Minten takes the spot but that might be asking too much next season.

Tre even talked about that today, saying that both Cowan and Minten need to show they can play against men.
Leafs need a 2/3C bridge until then.

Reactions: weems

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Jeannot is not Reaves bad, it's why they could recoup some assets.

They cut ties with a 4th liner who is an NHLer.

Your whole premise is flawed.

You also didn't mention assets in your original post, you're adding that after I mentioned the Leafs cutting ties with players because you knew I was right.
Everyone on the board understood what I wrote in my OG post except for you.

My OG post was about TB cutting ties with Jeannot instead of hoping he will improve.

You then reply Leafs do that too.

Then I go Leafs usually do that with a sweetener while TB didn’t.

Then you went about TB payed a lot for Jeannot…..

Never once had I mentioned that TB made a great trade with Jeannot.

You misunderstood my point completely and kept running with it.

Just take the L and move on.

Lastly, learn to read other posts before making snap reply as it makes you look foolish.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
At the very least, they've restocked with some high end prospects like Geekie, retooled the forward and D group and still have plenty of flexibility moving forward. The alternative was basically just riding into the sunset with the core and doing a full rebuild in a few years, which wouldn't be optimal. They've found a happy medium now.
I completely agree that Tampa made the right decision letting Stamkos go. It's interesting that they will likely do the opposite with Hedman, when the right decision would also be to let him go somewhere else, particularly since his inevitable decline, as a defenseman, will probably be more impactful than Stamkos' decline.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Reactions: BallardEra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad