Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Tre:

good-movies-rule-gmr.gif

Well, that would be icing on the idiotic cake, guess he did get the gig because his daddy’s pals with ownership………

Reactions: PromisedLand

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The issue is Brad came here to be a puppet, him being a coward still applies.

Our entire management are a bunch of cowardly f***ing weasles.
He should have talked to Gord Stellick before becoming a Leaf puppet GM………

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
They take up about 50% of cap... so that should be expected. You want to be the big dogs then go f***ing do it.
I agree.

That's why I don't believe he will change too much of their game.

I do think he will start to get them to get to the net more, but Nylander already scores most of his goals from in close.

Reactions: Burnie97

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
After seeing what Buffalo fans had to say about Skinner I wanted to avoid him, but I'm not very happy with this offseason so they mine as well take a flyer on him. Maybe they get lucky and get the winger version of Duchene in Dallas.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I'm not sure what many where expecting with Toronto cap situation, the top tier d-man went way above Toronto price range, and it seems the Pesce/Roys weren't considering Toronto. Toronto went from a d-core last season that couldn't move the puck very well to the forwards to a d-core that can do that now.

Tanev was very very good for Dallas last season, a lot of people are shitting on him due to the contract, but he should be a good player for us for the first 3 years.

It's not an elite d-core, but its a middle of the pack d-core. Toronto is never going to have an elite d-core with how they are built, and they won't be getting an elite d-man until they have to rebuild.

Look at both teams in the cup finals this year, their d-core wasn't elite either, in today's NHL, there are almost few perfect teams.
There's a lot here I disagree with.

Focusing on just the price range topic: there's not one D contract that wasn't doable with our cap structure, we just chose to pursue/retain several mediocre pieces over adding 1-2 high quality ones.

Our current cap space + Kampf cap relief + OEL, brings you into the 6m+ range alone. The Liljegren contact is another discussion. There was a route to pursue Tanev + another big ticket piece, unless literally zero players wanted to come here.

Also, nobody is asking for a "perfect" team. We are very far from that conversation. Our defence has now gone from a bottom 10 bunch to a barely average group held together by bandaid additions who are 32 and 35 years old. I have zero confidence saying any player at 35 can give us "3 good years". I sure hope so.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
After seeing what Buffalo fans had to say about Skinner I wanted to avoid him, but I'm not very happy with this offseason so they mine as well take a foyer on him. Maybe they get lucky and get the winger version of Duchene in Dallas.

They said a lot of crap about a lot of players that went on to be successful or even win cups afterwards.

Skinner has his warts and he's not perfect at all but he's been around a 30 goal scorer on average last 3 seasons. He's capable. You're not getting him to be a star.

And I think with him getting 3M was probably over what the Leafs wanted to give him. But that's a great signing by the Oilers.

Reactions: Morgs and Jmo89

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
A bunch of YouTube prankers who last time I watched were just posting videos of them partying.

Nell boys don’t really make those types of videos anymore. They’ve evolved into one of the biggest podcasts on YouTube. They are highly successful. They’ve landed some of the hardest guests ever, they even got Donald Trump to do an interview with them and Trump wasn’t interviewing with anyone.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
After seeing what Buffalo fans had to say about Skinner I wanted to avoid him, but I'm not very happy with this offseason so they mine as well take a flyer on him. Maybe they get lucky and get the winger version of Duchene in Dallas.

I once saw someone draw a parallel between skinner and PLD in terms of their attitude - I have no clue how true that is but that put me on the fence a bit regarding skinner

EDIT: Nevermind looks like skinner is going to edmonton

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It'd be nice if we can get Adam Henrique or Janmark on a one year deal

Henrique can still play. He wasn't that great for the Oilers though and he's not the fastest player. He's already 34 years old and from Brantford -- which is not far from Toronto. I wouldn't give him much but if he's willing to take a cut for a cup run I'm all ears.

Janmark is meh. Pretty much a Noah Gregor player... which is not that good.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Feels like trades have to be coming. Vegas has been super quiet….also wonder about parayko. Maybe pinto or colton?

No idea what the trade to vegas would look like now with our D. We need forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad