Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Zadorov wanting to be a leaf is complete and utter bullshit LOL. His agent used the leafs to raise his stock and it worked, not only in having very competitive trade offers for his services last year, but also getting him a lucrative deal in UFA. Zadorov didn't want to be a leaf, Otherwise he'd be here.
Exactly but all these "hockey experts" don't even realize that, this is the second time they have done that. If he wanted to come here it would of been him we signed instead of OEL.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Domi has an emotional tie to the city, completely different. There are def some players who like the spot light. That's not to say EVERY player doesn't want to play in Toronto.

Zadorov wanting to be a leaf is complete and utter bullshit LOL. His agent used the leafs to raise his stock and it worked, not only in having very competitive trade offers for his services last year, but also getting him a lucrative deal in UFA. Zadorov didn't want to be a leaf, Otherwise he'd be here.

So you have insight track to his agent? thats awesome. I call that utter bullshit. It was reported by many (Friedman, Dreger, Sveralli, etc...) that Zadorov wanted to go to the Leafs. Leafs didn't want to pay Zadorov what Boston paid else he would be here. Treliving blew his load on Tanev and OEL and nothing was left for Zadorov

And it was just reported that Guentzel wanted to sign with the Leafs

the spotlight convo is nothing but BS as far as I am concerned. It doesn't apply to majority of players. There aren't many "hockey cities" where there isn't much spotlight.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think Toronto wants to win a round or two but they know you can't pay a 3rd line C at $11 mill and do that. $11 m has to be a high impact player who is a known proven playoff type guy. We could have also got 2 very good players today. Just saying, they know there's no cup next year with this salary structure. If Marner walks they have $21 million next year. We now have 705k in cap unless we make a trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJG

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
So you have insight track to his agent? thats awesome. I call that utter bullshit. It was reported by many (Friedman, Dreger, Sveralli, etc...) that Zadorov wanted to go to the Leafs. Leafs didn't want to pay Zadorov what Boston paid else he would be here. Treliving blew his load on Tanev and OEL and nothing was left for Zadorov

the spotlight convo is nothing but BS as far as I am concerned. It doesn't apply to majority of players. There aren't many "hockey cities" where there isn't much spotlight.
Domi was born to be a Leaf, got lost and found his own way home.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
#MeToo

;)

I thought caps just wanted to get Ovi to break the record and then rebuild. Looks like they want Ovi to break the record and then some.....

I would LMAO seeing Ovi in playoffs and Crosby once again led by Dubas to be outside looking in :laugh:

NGL Bunting has looked incredible playing along side Crosby, really interested to see how that line looks like given a full season together. Could be magic.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
What exactly are you smoking by the way? Everyone crying about the defense isn't good enough... They go out and get one of the most sought after defenseman at the trade deadline and the top defenseman in free agency who a lot of teams wanted. Then they Get another defenseman who just won a cup.... So he was good enough to play on the team that just won the cup and also played on the team that destroyed us in the playoffs... So he was good enough for florida but he's not good enough to play for us?
What team did he play on that destroyed us? We lost to Boston not Florida. You don't even know what you're talking about. You must be smoking something nice to have you hallucinating series' that never happened.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
NGL Bunting has looked incredible playing along side Crosby, really interested to see how that line looks like given a full season together. Could be magic.

Pens are not making the playoffs. They will be fighting for the wildcard spot and then lose it like they did last season.

NYR
Canes
NJD/NYI

are pretty much a lock for top3. I think Caps would challenge metro divisoin to get the 3rd but will get in with WildCard like they did last season.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

It wasn't reported Guentzel wanted to sign with the leafs, I was the one who posted it in here after listening to Kipper and Bourne. No one said, no players wants to sign with the leafs. Kipper said that players that like the spot light are interested in being Maple Leafs, however MOST players do not like the spotlight, rather play in smaller US markets and don't find places like Vancouver or Toronto appealing because of the scrutiny the players face. He said that a lot of players talk amongst each other and they find playing in those two places in particular is hard on the players themselves and their families.

Please show me those tweets, because I saw tweets that said Toronto has interest in Zadorov, not a single tweet that said Zadorov wants to sign in Toronto. It's very obvious Dan Milsten used Toronto twice this year to benefit his client. Every reporter is ACTUALLY saying that Liljegren and OEL were signed because Zadorov wanted to go to Boston. OEL and Liljegren = 6.5 million. Zadorov signed for 5.5. The money was there for him. He didn't want to be here.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
What team did he play on that destroyed us? We lost to Boston not Florida. You don't even know what you're talking about. You must be smoking something nice to have you hallucinating series' that never happened.
Forgot he was on Vancouver before that and we would of lost to Florida anyways. Point still stands he was good enough to win a cup with Florida but not good enough to play for us?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Is structuring of deferred tax based on your knowledge or just hearsay? Do you have a link that can explain this better?

I have heard another theory from an American friend: state tax and provincial tax depends on your time you spend there. So when a player travels to play in Florida, there is no state tax or provincial tax. Hence the difference is not that big.

This might be how things work in the states but I doubt that's how it works in Canada. (So a Vancouver player can buy a cottage in Seattle and go live there in the offseason to avoid the higher tax?). If players for a Canadian team doesn't get this tax benefit, then that may explain the difference between a city like New York/Boston and Toronto/Vancouver.
I have tax lawyers in my office that do this kind of structuring. In Canada, athletes (and some entertainment people) use RCAs to defer tax until they move from Canada, at which point they pay a reduced amount on the funds withdrawn from the RCA that puts them pretty close to the same position they would have been in had they earned the funds in a no state tax jurisdictions. The question has always been about how aggressive you can be with an RCA. The CRA has obviously taken issue with how a couple of Jays players structured their RCAs...

I have no idea what the US tax structuring would look like, but the fact that California, New York, Boston, etc. seem to have no trouble attracting players in the NFL or NBA leads me to believe the tax differences between US states are being smoothed out by the players' tax advisors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad