Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This is exactly it per my comments from earlier .. and to entice some players to come to Toronto can cost a premium.

I.e. I wonder if OEL and Tanev wouldn’t come here unless it gave them a good bag of financial security. Compensation for putting up with the jungle.

Anyway, I’ll reserve any final opinions until I see the rest of the offseason

I call BS on that.

if that were the case Domi wouldn't have signed, Bert wouldnt have continued to negotiate with the Leafs and move on as they couldn't agree on a number, etc....

Zadorov wanted to be a Leaf it was well known even before he was traded from Calgary. Guentzel was willing to sign in Toronto, but for that we had to move Marner (we would have gained 2M in space); many other examples like that....

There are handful of players who appaerently don't want spotlight; but how many teams there are in the league where thats not going to be a case?

Players want money and want to win and want to raise a family (older guys). There are few religious players who would alwyas prefer a destination where radical leftwing policies are not in place in cities to raise their family and them not being ridiculed for their beliefs - it has less to do with spotlight IMO

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
You keep expecting different results even though nothing changes for this team... you are literally this boards definition of insanity.
What changes do you exactly want them to make when the two guys that need to go have no trades and both make $11M... How did nothing change according to you? LOL they pretty much only lost Bertuzzi and upgraded the defense and the goaltending which was what everyone was crying about. Just because it's not the guys you would of picked means it's the same? LOL okay how do you know the guys you wanted them to go for even wanted to come here?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's kind of good Toronto doesn't have that much cap space.. The centermarket is insane..

Monahan 5.25m per
Stephson 6.25m..

These are bad deals lol.

There's probably a healthy debate to be had whether you prefer Monahan and Stephenson, or just one Tavares with a $500K delta.

Reactions: TimeZone

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
They were in on Guentzel and Stamkos. Seems like they wanna add another big time player in some capacity.

I dunno why they do ... but they do.

Stone will be on LTIR soon enough.... thats how VGK is rolling because there are no ramifications from the league and it is within the stated rules of CBA

Reactions: HolyCrap

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If this is it we might actually see Wafflegate 2.0.

LOL looks like it

Remember Gardiner getting booed by the fans in the building. I think Marner is about to get the same treatment sooner or later.

There isn't much goodwill left for Marner among majority of fanbase IMO especially with his agent running his mouth AGAIN in the media. But TBD of course....

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Because it has always been inaccurate. Tax lawyers can structure to defer taxes in a manner that results in getting players in "normal" tax jurisdictions (i.e., Canada, California, New York, Mass, Colorado, etc.) to basically the same place on an after-tax basis as players in low-tax jurisdictions. It's why you never hear about this being an issue in any other North American professional sport.

Is structuring of deferred tax based on your knowledge or just hearsay? Do you have a link that can explain this better?

I have heard another theory from an American friend: state tax and provincial tax depends on your time you spend there. So when a player travels to play in Florida, there is no state tax or provincial tax. Hence the difference is not that big.

This might be how things work in the states but I doubt that's how it works in Canada. (So a Vancouver player can buy a cottage in Seattle and go live there in the offseason to avoid the higher tax?). If players for a Canadian team doesn't get this tax benefit, then that may explain the difference between a city like New York/Boston and Toronto/Vancouver.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So it appears our offense that couldn't muster up 2 goals in a game come playoff time has now actually somehow gotten worse.

They're running it back with Gio, Brodie replaced with Tanev and OEL, Samsonov swapped airh Stol & Bertuzzi swapped with some bargain basket garbage.

Same loser core for the 8th year in a row....this is genuinely a f***ing nightmare, Brad is a gutless coward.

We all knew they would be nibbling around the edges, but it is disheartening to see them focus on defensive additions when the duct tape defense from the playoffs isn't what let them down.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
So seravellli said that Vegas is poking around on Marner?
Doubt they have the cap space (even with Lehner on LTIR) unless leafs retain or a chunk of salary is coming back. Wouldn't mind one of those D (Theodore, McNabb, Whitecloud) on the way back.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I call BS on that.

if that were the case Domi wouldn't have signed, Bert wouldnt have continued to negotiate with the Leafs and move on as they couldn't agree on a number, etc....

Zadorov wanted to be a Leaf it was well known even before he was traded from Calgary. Guentzel was willing to sign in Toronto, but for that we had to move Marner (we would have gained 2M in space); many other examples like that....

There are handful of players who appaerently don't want spotlight; but how many teams there are in the league where thats not going to be a case?

Players want money and want to win and want to raise a family (older guys). There are few religious players who would alwyas prefer a destination where radical leftwing policies are not in place in cities to raise their family and them not being ridiculed for their beliefs - it has less to do with spotlight IMO

Domi has an emotional tie to the city, completely different. There are def some players who like the spot light. That's not to say EVERY player doesn't want to play in Toronto.

Zadorov wanting to be a leaf is complete and utter bullshit LOL. His agent used the leafs to raise his stock and it worked, not only in having very competitive trade offers for his services last year, but also getting him a lucrative deal in UFA. Zadorov didn't want to be a leaf, Otherwise he'd be here.

Reactions: Al14

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
You keep expecting different results even though nothing changes for this team... you are literally this boards definition of insanity.
What exactly are you smoking by the way? Everyone crying about the defense isn't good enough... They go out and get one of the most sought after defenseman at the trade deadline and the top defenseman in free agency who a lot of teams wanted. Then they Get another defenseman who just won a cup.... So he was good enough to play on the team that just won the cup and also played on the team that destroyed us in the playoffs... So he was good enough for florida but he's not good enough to play for us?

Reactions: francis246

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad