Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I’ve been listening to Kipper and Borne all day to and Kipper said that players talk to one another and the scrutiny players face in Toronto and Vancouver has turned a lot of players off from those markets. He said a lot of players just rather not play there. So it’s definitely a thing even though HF Boards people claim it’s not.

This is exactly it per my comments from earlier .. and to entice some players to come to Toronto can cost a premium.

I.e. I wonder if OEL and Tanev wouldn’t come here unless it gave them a good bag of financial security. Compensation for putting up with the jungle.

Anyway, I’ll reserve any final opinions until I see the rest of the offseason

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
It's pretty crazy Treliving has been the GM for over a year now and still hasn't made a significant hockey trade in the off-season. The only player he has traded away is Max Ellis so far.

Clearly you don't think highly of Max Ellis

The only trade he'll make is the one he's forced to. Nik Robertson

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
You are a drama queen for sure... You don't even know what the final roster is going to look like this is the first day of free agency and your losing your mind lol Vancouver had Zadarov.... they lost...
You keep expecting different results even though nothing changes for this team... you are literally this boards definition of insanity.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
It was reported to be between Boston and Toronto, so of course the Leafs would be the ones to do something unusual at the last minute while Boston scores the lay up, ensuring Zadorov will be cross checking Auston Matthews into dust for the remainder of this era...
That only provides a snippet of what might have happened. Seems timing-wise, Domi and Tanev and Woll were done before Zadorov. That reads to me like Zadarov's camp had something different in mind for Toronto. We don't know if Zadorov's price for Toronto was higher than what he took in Boston.

Not for nothing, beside the current state of our respective programs, Boston and the surrounding area's a nice place. Lots of reasons why players would take cheaper offers to play for Boston than higher ones to play in Toronto.

Not a few posters have essentially said what's going to separate the lament in both fan bases over their respective signings is the difference in salary Toronto saved.

We'll see.

Edited to say: Now...Brett Pesce at $5.5M and term in New Jersey is really irksome...and I hate having to accept my own point. Don't misread me - there is frustration here.

Reactions: Petrus

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’ve been listening to Kipper and Borne all day to and Kipper said that players talk to one another and the scrutiny players face in Toronto and Vancouver has turned a lot of players off from those markets. He said a lot of players just rather not play there. So it’s definitely a thing even though HF Boards people claim it’s not.

What hurts Toronto as a market and destination is our star players are massive underachievers, so anyone coming into a support role is going to have heat from failures of those players. Their track record makes it a tougher place to play.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So it appears our offense that couldn't muster up 2 goals in a game come playoff time has now actually somehow gotten worse.

They're running it back with Gio, Brodie replaced with Tanev and OEL, Samsonov swapped airh Stol & Bertuzzi swapped with some bargain basket garbage.

Same loser core for the 8th year in a row....this is genuinely a f***ing nightmare, Brad is a gutless coward.

YUP!

Reactions: Al14

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Kypreos is an absolute goof, you can disregard almost anything he says.

Do players not face scrutiny in Montreal, New York, Boston etc. etc.

Toronto is still a sought after destination.

When it comes to trade rumours sure. But Kipper is pretty connected to the leafs and leafs alumni and was a former leaf himself so when it comes to hearing the players perspective I think he would know way more than any of us on HF Boards.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'm liking Max Jones, Jesper Boqvist, Nils Lundkvist, and Ryan Lomberg as good buy-low candidates. Believe all are still available. Trenin extended in MIN means Jack McBain may be available - swap Lilly for McBain.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I'm liking Max Jones, Jesper Boqvist, Nils Lundkvist, and Ryan Lomberg as good buy-low candidates. Believe all are still available. Trenin extended in MIN means Jack McBain may be available - swap Lilly for McBain.
Max Jones signed with the Bruins. Lomberg with the Flames

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Absolutely. RHD that's about 150 games into his 250 before you've got a right read on him. Absolutely.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What hurts Toronto as a market and destination is our star players are massive underachievers, so anyone coming into a support role is going to have heat from failures of those players. Their track record makes it a tougher place to play.

100% Stephen, I just laugh whenever people bring up Montreal and Boston. Those markets have reached Stanley Cup Finals and/or won a Stanley cup in the last 20 years. It’s not even remotely the same level of scrutiny. Then you add on top our star players drop their performance in the playoffs which adds a layer of pressure for supporting players. It’s not really the same at all. The long drought 100% has made Toronto the hardest place to play in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad