Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was extremely surprised with OEL's level in the playoffs.
Had totally written him off after a few down seasons but he can still really play and brings a nice element of moving the puck and sneaky good offence.
Maybe he's back on the upswing.

Treliving knows OEL very well from his Arizona days, he was AGM when they drafted him, and they likely see someone that can keep rebuilding his rep back to being a really good defenseman.

That's wishful thinking at best though. I do understand the appeal but he wasn't playing very much in the playoffs. This team needs more skating and puck skill.... but this seems like they are desperate.

Reactions: Rude Dog

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Would OEL be a better fit for us than bringing Edmunson back? Maybe, but not sure.

Would that leave room for Perron or DeBrusk?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m not against OEL, and I think that contract would be a fair one. I get we need more offence from the blueline, I can even see OEL overtaking Rielly on PP1, but being a lefty the fit is a little weird. But there is no doubt OEL is a Treliving type defenceman so I wouldn’t be surprised if we do sign him.

Rielly - Tanev
Ekman-Larsson - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

Not a terrible blueline but also not that great. Not sure how far you can go with that blueline especially when your goaltending will probably be Woll and either Stolarz or Brossoit.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It's a lot of upside though. Woll has shown to be very good and Stolarz has been up and down but with plenty of ability to be dominant for some stretches. I think it would be a lot of bad luck if both flounder badly, and the Leafs still have Hidelby and AA as projects likely pushing for a spot in the next couple years.

It's not a bad strategy to go with the Boston / Vegas route with goaltenders.
Okay with the strategy, just surprised at the cost to do it

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
One of the most concerning parts about this off-season so far is the lack of interest players have playing in Toronto. A little worrisome tbh.

That’s what happens when you lose in the first round every Godforsaken year and the core guys most responsible all stick around. Doesn’t help that a lot of this years best defensemen are Americans with no ties to the Leafs.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
One of the most concerning parts about this off-season so far is the lack of interest players have playing in Toronto. A little worrisome tbh.

Seems like a lot of guys don’t want the spotlight and if they do, it comes at a premium.

No coincidence Florida teams have gotten great AAV’s and have become desirable. Successful franchises and lower taxes, with a quieter lifestyle in a nicer climate? Easy sell.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I think it's time for me to become a snowbird and work remotely from Miami in the winter. The only way I see a Cup is if I adopt another team.

Reactions: capfit9

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
so everyone else signs stars for stud prices and we sign the shit players for shit prices?

Make it the f*** make sense.

Leafs are either really shit at negotiations, the tax thing is more important than certain agents and media people let on, or our stars are uniquely selfish and have no care for anything except maxing out their earnings. Or hell it’s all three.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
OEL would be a good add, but not at $4m aav and some term. We do need someone else to move the puck.

I like Zadorov, but not at $6m Aav with term.

Let’s wait and see what happens before we overreact lol

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad