Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Happy 🇨🇦 day folks.
Defence and goalie post:
With Weekes suggesting a deal is done with Tanev - term/aav not clear, that’s mostly good. Lili locked up is good. 5/6 there.
I was remembering posters suggesting ‘just sign 3 of the top 8’ and thinking there’s 32 teams, 1 would be good work, two would be fortunate. And many are already signed, with some others earmarked for other teams
I’ve been trying to talk myself into Zadorov. I see some pluses: his personality wouldn’t seem overwhelmed here, he’d give good quotes, pretty fearless, imposing along the boards and infront of the net, big shot, seems healthy and fit to play more minutes, was a playoff beast this year and there’s a chance he’s blooming late? I could see him pairing with Lili mostly well. Cons: the money might be lots, maybe he’s not blooming and his playoff performance was the blip, not the best puckmover, keeps McCabe on his off-side. Over five Aav seems a stretch, but maybe.
Others? Roy isn’t actually off the board yet.
Backup plans? I’m really intrigued by Boqvist for 1-2 years. That puts a puck mover on each pair, kids still got upside. Could be a pp option, as could Lili.
The OEL link also keeps McCabe on the right, adds a pp option and another puck mover. Perk with these two is lower cost.
Nate Schmidt might be an idea for a year or two. Brendan Dillon same thing. How about Troy Stecher for a year. Probably a good fot beside Benny. Desharnais would be in that mix too.
Gustav Lidstrom and Jake Bean are sleepers, maybe Lundqvist.
Maybe Fabbro, Jensen or Ruuta come cheap on the trade market.
Goalies: no change, any of Stolarz, Brossoit, Lankinen, Talbot or Driedger
Think I'd wait till at least 3pm today before declaring that.
I’d even wait til tomorrow at 3pm for that. There’s over 300 free agents, some Leafs will be more desirable when the bonuses are paid, and still the potential for some big to happen. Let’s see if Tre is a good value shopper.

If you lose Bertuzzi and Robertson you lose a minimum of 36 goals from last year. We've got to do something on forward, no?
It’s a drag about NickRob, but I’m least concerned about LW.
There’s so many options on the wing.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
There is only one signing I wish today and will be disappointed if it doesn't happen...Jake McCabe.
Yeah, it’s interesting thinking about who could be extended among McCabe Knies and Holmberg, and maybe even JT? Sounds like Woll will be announced soon.
If JT comes out and extends for like 3years at 1-2AAV, that would be a cool signal to send.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I figure the Leafs will want in on at least one top 4 D and a good quality center to take some pressure off of Tavares.

Here are 14 D and 7 center's available in free agency.

1. Brett Pesce
  2. Chris Tanev
  3. Matt Roy
  4. Brady Skjei
  5. Nikita Zadorov
  6. Brenden Dillon
  7. Brandon Montour
  8. Ryan Lindgren
  9. Joel Edmundson
  10. Sean Walker
  11. Hakapnpaa
  12. OEL
  13. Grzelcyk
  14. Matt Dumba

1. Chandler Stephenson
  2. Sean Monahan
  3. Elias Lindholm
  4. Adam Henrique
  5. Matt Duchene
  6. Jonathan Toews
  7. Alex Wennberg

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Think I'd wait till at least 3pm today before declaring that.
You are both right. Colour me unimpressed so far but we need to give Tre at least a couple of more weeks. I like Tanev and Stolarz and not worried about losing Bert but Tre needs to make a splash. A 34 year solid dman and a solid backup don't do much for me.

If you lose Bertuzzi and Robertson you lose a minimum of 36 goals from last year. We've got to do something on forward, no?
Skinner for cheap looking like a very good option. Not sure we can afford DeBrusk.

Reactions: aingefan

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
God I hope Marner waives. But I feel like I am going to be disappointed by Tre this off-season.

I remember that fake apology letter he gave after draining Toronto dry for his current contract. I would rather just take the cap space at this point if nothing else to reallocate towards D, goalies, etc.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Why is everyone acting like Stolarz is done? Was partying last night so was out of the loop for a bit but seems to be just Frank saying they’ll make a push for him?

Fun fact tho, Stolarz played on London with Domi and…Zadorov

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why is everyone acting like Stolarz is done? Was partying last night so was out of the loop for a bit but seems to be just Frank saying they’ll make a push for him?

Fun fact tho, Stolarz played on London with Domi and…Zadorov
I'm basing it on Seravelli. Leafs offer a good chance for him to play a good chunk of games.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
I figure the Leafs will want in on at least one top 4 D and a good quality center to take some pressure off of Tavares.

Here are 14 D and 7 center's available in free agency.

1. Brett Pesce
  2. Chris Tanev
  3. Matt Roy
  4. Brady Skjei
  5. Nikita Zadorov
  6. Brenden Dillon
  7. Brandon Montour
  8. Ryan Lindgren
  9. Joel Edmundson
  10. Sean Walker
  11. Hakapnpaa
  12. OEL
  13. Grzelcyk
  14. Matt Dumba

1. Chandler Stephenson
  2. Sean Monahan
  3. Elias Lindholm
  4. Adam Henrique
  5. Matt Duchene
  6. Jonathan Toews
  7. Alex Wennberg
Is it mere folly to wish for Zadorov and Montour?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
There's really no excuse for having Kampf at that cap hit on this roster. It was a bad deal at the time and only looks worse as my scrounge for every morsel of cap space.

Reactions: Rude Dog

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Stamkos and Tanev would actually boost our team a lot in theory.

It's a 1% chance Leafs would bring in Stamkos, but still fun to think about how it would go.

Stamkos you just put in the slot on PP to clap one timers in the playoffs. Stamkos and Matthews on opposite sides is not defendable. If Tanev was on our PK against the Bruins, it's hard to conclude we still lose that series based on how low the PK % was. Even one extra PK killed has the potential to flip that series.

If they don't end up getting any of their top options, I'm okay with just going raw old school GF versus goals against with nice special teams.

Matthews-nylander self explanatory, and then Marner shelters Stamkos 5 on 5 and feeds him passes all day for 40 goals. Tavares at 3C for a balanced forward group.

It doesn't sound smart because of the ages but if everyone hits their potential stats, amazing results would follow. 3 amigos help shelter the old guys, which makes the negative effects of their age decrease.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Liljegren gets a $2.4M SB today. I'm not certain that he'll be a leaf by the end of the day.
When has a team signed a player and then immediately traded them (unless it was an agreed upon sign and trade)?

I'd be surprised that he's moved. Wouldn't be opposed.

Reinhart gets $8.6 over 8

Florida state tax FTW
But we want league parity! Toronto, if you even think of signing a 34 with limited injury history in the last few years to a 7 year deal, you're being investigated!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Reinhart gets $8.6 over 8

Florida state tax FTW

Still think Florida is gonna regret that contract a few years in. Don’t see him repeating this season

Nylander ends up just under 3M over Reinhart’s cap hit.

Disappointing time to be a Leafs fan.

Why should we be disappointed? We can’t do anything about state income tax.

Reactions: bax and TimeZone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad