Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Robertson & Jarnkrok for McGroarty?

Don’t blame Nick for wanting out but his timing is odd with a new coach and new opportunity coming in.

I would understand his being sick of Keefe but Berube would be another opportunity to make his case and stick.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Don’t blame Nick for wanting out but his timing is odd with a new coach and new opportunity coming in.

I would understand his being sick of Keefe but Berube would be another opportunity to make his case and stick.
You'd think but as soon as a guy doesn't want to be a Leaf... bye bye.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not dictating what can and can not be offered, being reminding and suggesting penalties will be enforced if the contract is signed with LTIR in mind

The league can't prove that though, and they never would be able to.

The NHLPA will never allow the league to punish or block contracts that follow existing cba rules. It would mean the cba was meaningless otherwise

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not dictating what can and can not be offered, being reminding and suggesting penalties will be enforced if the contract is signed with LTIR in mind

Why would they target the Leafs?

Leafs just employed the oldest player in the league.

Seems targeted ... but maybe you have a point Leafs are such a milquetoast operation.

Berube might not last the season ...

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
How do we go from 4 million to 5 million in like a few hours? Has to be a league warning and Leafs lowered the term. If it's still 6 years, we are literally run by incompetent people.

Reactions: Rude Dog

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
We know McGroarty in Winnipeg is likely getting traded. Askarov is reportedly not going to be happy with another season in the AHL. A few players are in the same boat.

It always blows my mind that other teams young players in similar situation don't lose value in these but ours always do.
McGroarty doesn't have the injury history or lackluster NHL results that Robertson has (or size profile). The McGroarty situation would be like Robertson asking for a trade after his D+1 year where he dominated the OHL. That was his peak value.

Askarov has value because goalies typically take longer to develop so you're getting a top 3(?) goalie prospect who is already 4 years into his development and closer to NHL ready than not.

Robertson is about to be 23 which is young but old enough that his peers are making an impact in the NHL. He scored at a 20 goal pace this year which is good, not great production. The issue is he doesn't impact the game outside of his shot. An undersized 1-dimensional 20 goal scorer isn't a great asset.

The best comparable I can see if Sprong in Anaheim who was traded for Pettersson before he broke out. I proposed Barron for Robertson which would be a similar trade.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

I think the Jets will get much better offers than that.

Reactions: Menzinger

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I am a big Nicky Robby fan but he can get lost. Sounding very entitled for a guy coming off two big injuries. This may have been his breakout year. Kind of hope they play hard ball with him and let him rot if they don’t get a decent deal.

Reactions: Burnie97
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Why would they target the Leafs?

Leafs just employed the oldest player in the league.

Seems targeted ... but maybe you have a point Leafs are such a milquetoast operation.

Berube might not last the season ...
Leafs seem to always be the example. Not the first time the league has come down harder on the Leafs.

To be fair, I am assuming the Leafs are shifting away from 5mx6 if they are going to 5m

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Maybe Berube is the impetus for the move. Berube's accountability may be different than Keefe's?

Reactions: LeafSteel
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
The league can't prove that though, and they never would be able to.

The NHLPA will never allow the league to punish or block contracts that follow existing cba rules. It would mean the cba was meaningless otherwise
I don’t think the league would ”block” it. Just very stern reminder of the potential penalties.

If they Leafs still do 5mx6 I take that all back. I just can’t see the $$$ being 5m for 6 years

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
How do we go from 4 million to 5 million in like a few hours? Has to be a league warning and Leafs lowered the term. If it's still 6 years, we are literally run by incompetent people.
It wouldn’t shock me if they did. Tanev will surely be on LTIR the last few years of the contract.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
McGroarty doesn't have the injury history or lackluster NHL results that Robertson has (or size profile). The McGroarty situation would be like Robertson asking for a trade after his D+1 year where he dominated the OHL. That was his peak value.

Askarov has value because goalies typically take longer to develop so you're getting a top 3(?) goalie prospect who is already 4 years into his development and closer to NHL ready than not.

Robertson is about to be 23 which is young but old enough that his peers are making an impact in the NHL. He scored at a 20 goal pace this year which is good, not great production. The issue is he doesn't impact the game outside of his shot. An undersized 1-dimensional 20 goal scorer isn't a great asset.

The best comparable I can see if Sprong in Anaheim who was traded for Pettersson before he broke out. I proposed Barron for Robertson which would be a similar trade.

We really underrate NHL production value over Junior production. They have value based on their projectability and potential, Robertson's in the same boat but has NHL experience. If asking for a trade after a 20 goal (on pace) in his first full NHL season, this is also after dominating the AHL, removes any sort of value in a trade... then I dunno maybe just let him go to Europe to wait until something good comes along or DeBrusk his butt into playing.

I'm not saying he has amazing top end value like a blue chip prospect but his value should be fairly high in a trade. Anything less than a good swap for a player of similar calibre and this is a terrible move.

Reactions: WillNy29

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Team looking cooked for next season already... Just waiting for the Marner 12.5x8 as the final dagger.

I mean

IF Tanev is as advertised he will unlock Rielly like Schenn did
IF Liljegren takes a step and pushing on being a top 4 guy
IF Woll stays healthy and is legit
IF Berube can employ a good system that fits the team and guys buy in
IF Marner has an amazing season in his contract year trying to get paid

It's not cooked it's president's trophy

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
I don’t think the league would ”block” it. Just very stern reminder of the potential penalties.

If they Leafs still do 5mx6 I take that all back. I just can’t see the $$$ being 5m for 6 years
If the prediction was 4mx6, and the league's warning stops this from going through, then the 5 year equivalent would be 24m/5 = 4.8m.

So I suspect it'll be 4.8m x 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2