Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not a fan at all of 20 player rosters. It's just not efficient and you get into so many issues with call-ups. Then you're playing the thin line of having to LTIR players or even ice depleted lineups.

They absolutely will be very close to the cap but there should be no reason not to create more room if they want to add some expensive players like Zadorov and Bertuzzi. And they still haven't added a quality RHD after Tanev in this.

Personally, I detest having a full 4th. line.

1st. 3 forwards
2nd. 3 forwards
3rd.. 3 forwards
PK line 2 forwards

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I agree. The original idea was to get two top RHD, but if we can't sign Pesce, Roy, and Zadorov, might as well use the money on a 2nd line center.

I had a quick look at next year UFA and don't see any good center available (assuming those like Drasaitl won't go into free agency)
I've been saying this for weeks. Lindholm's the guy we need to target. We can trade for another top 4 D. Top 6 centers below 30 are not easy to acquire. Would fit perfectly next to Nylander and Knies, and push Tavares down to the 3rd line.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
It sounds like Lindholm wants a significant pay day. But he didn't have the kind of year for that.
Does he do a 1 year show me deal?

Duchesne rebounded this past year, so some team will pay him even though he has a some sub-par years beforehand.
The league usually pays based on what you just did.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Would be a great if Utah send Marino, 1st, 2nd and Keller to us for MM and Calle.

Swap Marino and Bjugstad. With cap savings between Keller and Matthews we can get Zadorov and OEL and call it a day.

Knies. Matthews. Keller
Domi. Tavares. Nylander
Robertson. Bjugstad. Mcmann
Holmberg. Kampf. Dewar
Reaves

Rielly. Tanev
Zadorov. Lilly
Mccabe. OEL

Woll/backup

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Swap Marino and Bjugstad. With cap savings between Keller and Matthews we can get Zadorov and OEL and call it a day.

Knies. Matthews. Keller
Domi. Tavares. Nylander
Robertson. Bjugstad. Mcmann
Holmberg. Kampf. Dewar
Reaves

Rielly. Tanev
Zadorov. Lilly
Mccabe. OEL

Woll/backup
Maybe add Kampf to the deal and get Bjugstad.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'd be calling MTL about Barron. I'm not sure if Robertson for Barron gets it done 1 for 1 but it should be close. They still have an abundance of bottom pair D and a need for scoring.

Barron is 6'2, good underlying numbers playing 18:37/game this year. He'll be 23 in November. Could be a very strong (and cheap) fit on the 3rd pair alongside Benoit.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Maybe add Kampf to the deal and get Bjugstad.
If i had to pick one of kampf and jarnkrok to keep it would be kampf. If it made the difference to Utah I wouldnt care but I think moving Jarnkroks money to Bjugstad would give us a 3rd line center and we can replace Jarnkrok internally.

Would be an out of control deal for us which means I am in lala land. Maybe more realistic is Keller and a 2nd. If I am being honest I would take that. Keller is about $3 million less than Marner so it could be difference of Keller and Bertuzzi for Marner or Keller and Zadorov for Marner. I dont think we lose on the offense in these scenarios and make a big change. Also amazing is that we make Matthews happy by fluke who could have gotten bent out of shape about losing Marner.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can the Leafs hurry up and trade Kampf and Jarnkrok now? Also sign Tanev already.

I don't think Kampf has enough trade value for any team to want to take a shot unless they completely whiff in free agency. It's not overly hard to find competent 4th line centers that can PK.

Jarnkrok should be decently valuable though at his cap hit and term. But again it's hard to trade a player once free agency hits because teams will most of the time just sign a player instead of spending assets unless the player is really really good. This is why the period between the draft and free agency is very important to make trades.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've been saying this for weeks. Lindholm's the guy we need to target. We can trade for another top 4 D. Top 6 centers below 30 are not easy to acquire. Would fit perfectly next to Nylander and Knies, and push Tavares down to the 3rd line.
Lindholm would be my priority, especially with Tavares expiring this year.

Center or RW ... he can player either.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I don't think Kampf has enough trade value for any team to want to take a shot unless they completely whiff in free agency. It's not overly hard to find competent 4th line centers that can PK.

Jarnkrok should be decently valuable though at his cap hit and term. But again it's hard to trade a player once free agency hits because teams will most of the time just sign a player instead of spending assets unless the player is really really good. This is why the period between the draft and free agency is very important to make trades.

I know a newly hired coach who loves to play Kampf. ;)

Reactions: LeafSteel

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Completely agree. I could see Kampf being a dump in a bigger trade. If Liljegren were to be traded to Seattle I could see Kampf being included.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If i had to pick one of kampf and jarnkrok to keep it would be kampf. If it made the difference to Utah I wouldnt care but I think moving Jarnkroks money to Bjugstad would give us a 3rd line center and we can replace Jarnkrok internally.

Would be an out of control deal for us which means I am in lala land. Maybe more realistic is Keller and a 2nd. If I am being honest I would take that. Keller is about $3 million less than Marner so it could be difference of Keller and Bertuzzi for Marner or Keller and Zadorov for Marner. I dont think we lose on the offense in these scenarios and make a big change. Also amazing is that we make Matthews happy by fluke who could have gotten bent out of shape about losing Marner.
I think Marino, Keller, Bjugstad, 1st and 3rd for MM, Calle and Kampf would be a great deal.
Really think Utah is a team that is willing to give 100mil to extend MM.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
This is a golden opportunity for Leafs to really build a winning team and not F it up. We gotta get Lindholm to play 2C and lock him up now. next season trying to get a 2C is going to be a pain in the ass and going to cost a lot of money.
Lindholm would be a perfect addition to the team. A strong 2 way 2C is what we are missing, and allows us to shift Tavares to wing or let him walk. Much better than leaning on kampf on draws and pks. Prob a perfect centre for Nylander as Lindholm is a proven distributor of the puck when he has talent on his wings.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Around 5 for Tanev? Jesus Brad you are having an underwhelming off season so far... no space to do anything because you won't trade a core player

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I’ve been at a party for a few hours. What is happpening. 3 mil for Liljegren and 5 mil for Tanev? We have no space for anything but a tandem goalie. Why are all non-Domi deals higher than expected

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2