Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It's still an idiotic decision, irrespective of other teams.

why would it be idiotic? We have people calling for the team to be harsh and do things to make us better. Liljegren is a soft dman. The guy gets blown up every playoffs. I don’t see how people can be mad at Marner’s play and watch Liljegren and want him anywhere near this team next year

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He’s not right now, Lily is much more solid defensively

Much high ceiling though
Much higher?

I'm not sure on that; he's hasn't done much more and is only 1 year younger, and still, he probably won't be used over Rielly on the main PP unit.

why would it be idiotic? We have people calling for the team to be harsh and do things to make us better. Liljegren is a soft dman. The guy gets blown up every playoffs. I don’t see how people can be mad at Marner’s play and watch Liljegren and want him anywhere near this team next year
Poor asset management #1

Contrary to popular belief, he's actulley quite good, IMO anyway, #2

Reactions: aingefan

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
My guess on what the Leafs do between today and Tuesday (minus Marner speculation):

Trade Lily

Trade Kampf and/or Jarnkrok

Sign Tanev
Sign Broissoit
Sign Skinner
Sign OEL
Re-sign Bert
Re-sign Domi
Re-sign Lyubushkin

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
Losing Lily for nothing (if it happens), will probably be among the f
earliest major negatives for the Tre front office

Should have taken action months ago if they felt there was even a decent probability that they weren't interested in extending him this summer
So you really think Trev got offers for him ans just said nah, I'll just lose him for for nothing....it takes two teams to make a trade..

Reactions: smitty10

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
They're not attached to any players. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the MLSE brass doesn't even know every player on our team. All they care about is the money coming in and the money going in their pockets. That's the problem is, they're not attached to this team, if they were, they wouldn't be content with the last 9 years and changes would've been made
The NFL is all owned by individual owners! There is definitely a draw back having corporate ownership.

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Keep in mind the cap may take a serious jump after the next two years. This year and next it is capped to increase by 5%. After that all bets are off so it could go up much more.
Years 4 through 6 you could be looking a cap pushing near 110 or more. So 4 million might not mean a lot by then.

cap will take serious jump for evrey team in NHL nt jusst the leafs

Other teams would be able to take advantage of this "increased cap" a lot better than the Leafs because the Core4 are a money hungry joke and our GM is TRASH

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
My guess on what the Leafs do between today and Tuesday (minus Marner speculation):

Trade Lily

Trade Kampf and/or Jarnkrok

Sign Tanev
Sign Broissoit
Sign Skinner
Sign OEL
Re-sign Bert
Re-sign Domi
Re-sign Lyubushkin
I think quite a bit of that happens and I'm okay with most of it.

Skinner and OEL better be real cheap though.

I like bush but I think we can upgrade there. I think we get 1 more big dman.

1 of Bert or Domi are probably gone but we'll see.

Reactions: smitty10

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think quite a bit of that happens and I'm okay with most of it.

Skinner and OEL better be real cheap though.

I like bush but I think we can upgrade there. I think we get 1 more big dman.

1 of Bert or Domi are probably gone but we'll see.
If Bert or Domi leave then I think we can get Zadorov.

My assumption would be that OEL would be $3m or less. Skinner under $2m.

Reactions: Burnie97

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think there a world where both could be had. Probably more difficult to convince OEL to come back to Canada after his little Florida cup run. One thing OEL does well with his wing span and long stick is he can be deceptive with his body positioning and change angles on his point shot. We never have that kind of awareness on D and he could be helpful on special teams. Brannstrom would be a decent reclamation project.
Why I was hoping Myers could be signed st a reasonable deal, players with huge wingspans can be effective defenders ala Hal Gill or ideally Chara…….

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So you really think Trev got offers for him ans just said nah, I'll just lose him for for nothing....it takes two teams to make a trade..

I find it hard to believe there was absolutely zero trade interest in Lily from any team around the league in the last 12 months.

I can also realistically envision a scenario in which the Leafs didn't actually shop him around

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Schmidt and Boqvist could make an interesting D pairing for a team!

In all seriousness, the former provides enough experience and the latter potential upside that finding new destinations should be reasonably simple for each of them.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I find it hard to believe there was absolutely zero trade interest in Lily from any team around the league in the last 12 months.

I can also realistically envision a scenario in which the Leafs didn't actually shop him around

It is really hard to think a RHD of a bottom 10-12 defensive group in NHL and with a team desesperatly need RHD but who's struggling just to stay in the line up doesn't bring a lot of interest from rest of NHL team

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't think it's them not wanting to win. It's more about them becoming emotionally attached to the players.

The other organizations look at it from more of a business perspective.
1719766272467.jpeg

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
Yeah Moser and Geekie are pretty good young players for sure. Just not sure a quantity for quality makes sense when Serg has shown flashes of franchise defenseman potential.

Sergy outside the first cup run has been more liability defensively than anything else. He is more of an offense first Dman.

He does fine when he is being babysat by Heddy or Mac but more often then not he makes some of the most boneheaded mistakes for someone with the talent he has.

I love the kid and the heart it took to recover from that brutal injury and come back and play in the playoffs and actually impact it were incredible.

Reactions: Gallagbi

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
No they are not better..younger? They brought Mc Donagh in defense stop spilling poison on our management after every team makes a move..if we acquire a players right for a 3rd pick U would go and bark at Brad
What are you saying I'm getting a stroke reading this.

• Haha
Reactions: rumman

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Height: 6′0″
Weight: 189 lb
Born: 8/15/2000 (Age: 23)
Birthplace: Falun, SWE
Shoots: R
Draft: 2018, CHI (8th overall), 1st round, 8th pick

Only 35 games, but 18 minutes a night this year.

Why do they need the space?

They have a logjam on defense and he wasn’t worth the QO apparently

Surprised they couldn’t move him to a rebuilding team that has space

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad