Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Interesting tidbit on Zadorov I saw on the mains:

“It is interesting Rick Dhaliwal who is connected to Zadorov's agent said earlier today that neither term nor salary is the hang up with him resigning with the Canucks.”

I wonder if the ask might actually not be horrific and the reason he’s moving on is more to do with wanting to be a clear top 4 guy wherever he signs

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Interesting tidbit on Zadorov I saw on the mains:

“It is interesting Rick Dhaliwal who is connected to Zadorov's agent said earlier today that neither term nor salary is the hang up with him resigning with the Canucks.”

I wonder if the ask might actually not be horrific and the reason he’s moving on is more to do with wanting to be a clear top 4 guy wherever he signs
He seemed to want to be in Toronto before he was traded, if his agent posting online is to be believed. There were tweets or instagram posts, if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: Kurtz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That Tanev rumour is a bit worrisome, I hope he's open to Robidas Island when father time comes a calling

If we need a center what about Henrique? He's a trustworthy player you could use with a couple of kids or build a defensively responsible line around

Probably wouldn't cost the earth either

Reactions: aingefan

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

13. Nashville’s told teams — and there are a lot of interested parties — that the price for Yaroslav Askarov is either a current NHLer or a similarly highly-rated prospect who is not a goalie.

Love Woll but Askarov has Vasilevsky-like potential. We need to at least kick tires on this.

Reactions: Rude Dog

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't think $4 million per season is much of a problem. That's pretty much the going rate for second-pairing defensemen, and within a couple of years it will be a small percentage of the cap. The Leafs can simply buy out the last couple of years if need be. This guy will instantly stabilize the defense.

How many of those 6 years is he going to be a top-4 D? 2-3? Give him 4 mil for those seasons and no more than 2 for the rest.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

13. Nashville’s told teams — and there are a lot of interested parties — that the price for Yaroslav Askarov is either a current NHLer or a similarly highly-rated prospect who is not a goalie.

Love Woll but Askarov has Vasilevsky-like potential. We need to at least kick tires on this.

Cost is probably Cowan or Knies, so gotta be comfortable with that. It's not going to be Robertson + a 2nd or something like that.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
It really feels like the Leafs are trying to run back the OG plan. Lock in their guys and hope the cap goes up to fill around the roster each year.

Looks like they will try again in the post COVID era and a time where the cap is rapidly increasing at rates higher than the league expected.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
so assuming Tanev signs for 4 mil, this is what our roster looks like with basically 17 mil to spend

Knies Matthews Nylander
McMann Tavares Marner
----- Holmberg Jarnkrock
----- Kampf Reaves

Rielly Tanev
Benoit McCabe
----- Timmins

Woll
-----

moving out Timmins, Kampf, and Jarnkrok would create an extra 5.6 mil in cap space but we still have alot of work to do.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Honestly, once we find a RHD partner for Mo (i.e., Tanev), I'd much rather spend any remaining cap space on a goalie and a top 9 centre to split duties with JT.

Our problem has not been keeping pucks out of the net or even toughness these past two years. It has been scoring when it matters.
I’d still want another D, but I agree, the C is a big deal.
Id love a 2C lined up this year so it’s in place before next year when MM and JT are off the cap, or before an MM trade.
I think there’s room for Lindholm at 7 depending on Tanev and the other D, which would be my dream fit.
AM-MM
EL-WN
JT+
Knies and Holmberg third wheels and NickRob/McMann with JT.

If we bring in Tanev, Zadorov and OEL that's got to cost 12-13M over the 3 guys, even if we move Liljegren that's a ton of money

2-3M for a goaltender

Where's the money for the likes of Domi or Bertuzzi?
Maybe Tre forcing himself to dodge a bullet?

Reactions: Kiwi and Macallan18

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Nashville and Toronto make for good trading partners I think. But the Leafs probably have little interest in an Askarov and Woll duo. Its a little too green. It would be fun though so I hope they can figure it out, but it's unlikely with Treliving

Last edited:

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
One argument I absolutely can not get behind is "the cap is going up at that point it's such a small percentage of cap space so who cares".

That is such loser thinking with no regard for the future. I don't care if it's about overpaying for a free agent, a buyout or taking on a contract. This kind of thinking is what compounds to become cap issues.

Another thing that completely lacks foresight is spending big at the trade deadline and not engaging at the draft because lack of assets. There is a premium to be paid at the deadline, but guys get flipped for peanuts at the draft. If a front office would just look down the line at all they would conduct business right now, and live with results through the deadline. The leafs pick #58 was probably never going to be as valuable as it was yesterday but they flipped it for a pick next year for what I assume they want to use as currency in the future. At the trade deadline that currency will be worth so much less "player" than it will be today. Could have been half a Marino or got them a Logan Thompson. Instead it'll nab them 2 months of a depth dman or something. So dumb.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If I’m the leafs I’m making offers to all of the top RD specifically Pesce, Roy and Tanev. RD are like gold. Secure them as commodities. LHD are much more plentiful and you can always trade for LD I.e Ekholm, Sergachev, Hanafin types always get traded but good RD never get traded. It’s actually very, very rare to have a free agency class with 3 good RD potentially all hitting the market tomorrow. Take advantage of this opportunity. Getting 2 of the 3 would be huge.

Reactions: Jojalu

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Roy
Zadorov-Liljegren
Benoit

Would be nice for next year, so long as Zadorov isn’t a gross overpay.
If you can sign Roy, I am going all in to try to get Payako/Buchnevich (pending UFA)

Robertson/Liljegren/1st 2026+ (would require Kampf and Jarnkrok going back)

Rielly-Parayko
McCabe-Roy
Benoit-Tanev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad